RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2006, 05:46 PM   #1

I am currently in Pomona Ca, at the FMCA show and had a chance to drive an '07 Essex with the new TRW Comfort Drive steering system. This new inovation is standard on the MADP and Essex and is tied up exclusively by Newmar for 2 years. Wow! The steering is unbelievably effortless and seeks straight all the time, even in reverse. In cross winds or slooped crown roads it monitors the wheel position and matches it to make the vehicle go straight with no pulling. The steering goes from near zero effort stopped to slightly stiffer at speeds and increases with speed. At first it feels like no motorhome you have ever driven, more like a car with super power steering, then you start to become more comfortable. This is truly an inovation in steering and, in cases of blowouts a great safety feature.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2006, 05:46 PM   #2

I am currently in Pomona Ca, at the FMCA show and had a chance to drive an '07 Essex with the new TRW Comfort Drive steering system. This new inovation is standard on the MADP and Essex and is tied up exclusively by Newmar for 2 years. Wow! The steering is unbelievably effortless and seeks straight all the time, even in reverse. In cross winds or slooped crown roads it monitors the wheel position and matches it to make the vehicle go straight with no pulling. The steering goes from near zero effort stopped to slightly stiffer at speeds and increases with speed. At first it feels like no motorhome you have ever driven, more like a car with super power steering, then you start to become more comfortable. This is truly an inovation in steering and, in cases of blowouts a great safety feature.

Old 03-21-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Lug_Nut good info, now are you going to buy you sound convinced. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:26 PM   #4

I think I'm going to go for it. I won't be placing the oder until I get home about mid April. It's a nice coach.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:05 PM   #5

I forgot one thing. TRW, the steering gear people had to test the steering under blowout conditions. In test it they had some kind of explosive attached to the side of the tire. I fellow I spoke with claimed when a front tire was blown out he removed both hands from the steering wheel and the vehicle continued straight. Quite impressive.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:10 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I fellow I spoke with claimed when a front tire was blown out he removed both hands from the steering wheel and the vehicle continued straight. Quite impressive </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LUG_NUT: Just to be safe, you better CYA with a dis-claimer that YOU are not recommending people do that! Glad to read you are sufficiently impressed to go home home and order one ( color me envy green) Whatcha gonna get, the MADP or the EXDP ??

Several Newmar owners are interested in the floor plans and chassis options being offerred in the GASSERS for 2007. Do you have any info??? ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:06 PM   #7

Ed, good point on the disclaimer. Note: All viewers, I did state it was here say. I did not witness this, but thought the statement was worth repeating. Do Not TRY This At Home. "We wear special equipment and are trained professionals."
The only '07's currently in production are all diesel pushers or mid engine diesels to my knowledge. The new gas line is yet to be annouced.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:13 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The new gas line is yet to be annouced. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
THANKS, we were afraid of that. Guess we'll just have to swallow some more of those patience pills! I'm guessing they started the 07 DPs so early because they "ran out" of 06 Spartans. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:50 PM   #9

No I think all the diesel models for many if not all manufacturers with be priority as the engines are going to change so much with the '07 regulations. For those that are getting a gas powered unit are far more lucky as bigger and brighter things will be available for them.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:33 AM   #10

To, All Newmar DP owners;

I just read the posting about Frieghtliner's problem with the side radiator and the 400 ISL cummins.

I have an ISL 400 on a Spartan chassis,with side radiator, but have less than 20,000 miles on it.

Has anyone had or heard about this problem on Newmar DP's??

Awaiting, patiently for news, good or bad.

Thanks,, Aime====== AJBJRVERS
Old 03-28-2006, 08:04 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
AJ there is a post over on the Winnie side of house nothing said about a Spartan or Newmar coach I'd call Spartan. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:08 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Lug nut, when you make this next purchase can I have your old rig????

Phelpo

Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote