Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2019, 07:00 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I had to replace a motor on a previous coach but no idea about a controller.

All the comments concerning the controller in above posts, where is this located and what does it look like?
It is located right next to the motor assembly underneath. It is a triangular looking black device that controls the behavior of the step.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCA01042-A057-41F2-828D-5D56D1E87555.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	261192  
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Today I paid my dues, the dues we all either have or will pay, when your Kwikee steps fail. Of course they will fail retracted making your life miserable. Take a look at your steps now so you know what's ahead. Look above the top step dead center, you'll see a two prong metal bracket where the kwikee motor arm connects and there is a pin in that connection with a cotter pin on your left (coach aft). It is very difficult to remove, I welcome others here to chime in with your tips on getting that pin out. I had to make a trip to lowes to get extra long needle nose pliers. A cotter pin remover may help but it would need to be long. Of course the pin that the cotter pin is installed in is grimy and isn't going to slide out without a fight so be sure to have your favorite spray lube handy to help, after a sip of that spray some on the pin too!

I ended up having to break the cotter pin which isn't ideal as I could have been in a real problem had I not been able to get it all out. But after several hours I got the cotter pin out then fought to get the pin out of the mechanism and finally got that out. DO NOT mount the motor until you install the pin and new cotter pin in and then you can mount the new motor and all will be dandy once again. I have another replacement motor coming tomorrow from Amazon as I will always have a spare on hand and of course cotter pins from lowes. I'm actually not going to use the same type that was installed but instead the type that is a loop on an end and a bump out in the middle so it's easier to remove. I'll keep an eye on it hoping it will not work its way out. I have straight pins on hand too if needed, I just never want to deal with that cotter pin removal again.

Be sure to have a spare motor and controller in your spares kit. The motor I use for my steps can be found on Amazon by pasting in the following product code: B005G21JP2

Was wondering if it would be easier to just drop the entire step onto a hydraulic floor jack and work on it on the work bench. I haven’t crawled under to look at mine but on my last coach there were only four bolts holding the entire step assembly in place. Just a thought.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:24 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Neal when I first read your post I thought no hurry Newmar just replaced my step motor and controller. As murphy would have it quit working in the closed position. THAT PIN IS A PITA. I had to break it also to get it out. 1.5 hours and 3 band-aids latter. If I had turned the pin around and used a hitch pin instead of a cotter pin it would of been a 5 minute job. You were right, do it now while it is working. Wish I had listened. On a good note it was a loose ground wire to the motor Newmar just installed.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:57 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
Neal when I first read your post I thought no hurry Newmar just replaced my step motor and controller. As murphy would have it quit working in the closed position. THAT PIN IS A PITA. I had to break it also to get it out. 1.5 hours and 3 band-aids latter. If I had turned the pin around and used a hitch pin instead of a cotter pin it would of been a 5 minute job. You were right, do it now while it is working. Wish I had listened. On a good note it was a loose ground wire to the motor Newmar just installed.

Did you not see post #20? The pin is easy to remove and replace if you loosen the cam nuts. - Paul
Old 09-23-2019, 11:41 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Saw post #20 today.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Saw post #20 today.

Well, hopefully you never have to get under there again, but if you do.....-Paul
Old 09-24-2019, 06:10 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
The pin can be easily removed or inserted by loosening the 2 cam nuts which are located fore and aft where the support structure of the steps contact them. When finished, with the steps extended, rotate them until they contact the structure and tighten them up.
Our controller failed at about 15,000 miles. Seems as though after all these years of use on MANY different coaches and trailers a more dependable product would have been developed and manufactured by someone. -Paul

A picture would help others understand. Annotate it with circles or arrows even better.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:15 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a picture of the pin I used which is far easier to remove. So far it remains in place. No issues, far easier than the pin Newmar installed to remove when the next time comes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0700.png
Views:	61
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	261362  
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:20 PM   #37

Name:	view from step.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	261356

View of left cam nut from top step looking in.

Name:	cam nut.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	261357

Close up of left cam and bolt taken from between the steps. There is also one on the right. Loosen both, and you can position the steps so the motor drive pin can easily be slid in or out. When finished, extend the steps fully, rotate the cam until it contacts the step structure,and tighten the bolts. -Paul
Old 09-24-2019, 08:36 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I spent an hour and a half trying to get that pin out and saw no other way. When I saw your picture I went and took a look. That bolt is a stop for the arm when the step extends. It does nothing more than stop the arm from extending further. The first picture is with the step closed and the second is with the step extended and third is the nut on the other side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2875.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	261401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2871.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	396.7 KB
ID:	261402  

Name:	IMG_2874.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	555.5 KB
ID:	261404  
Old 09-24-2019, 09:33 PM   #39

Quote:
I spent an hour and a half trying to get that pin out and saw no other way. When I saw your picture I went and took a look. That bolt is a stop for the arm when the step extends. It does nothing more than stop the arm from extending further. The first picture is with the step closed and the second is with the step extended and third is the nut on the other side.

Yes, their primary function is to act as a stop when the steps are fully extended.

What loosening them and rotating the eccentric bushing (cam)does is give you a greater range of travel so that the holes can be lined up properly and the pin will simply slip right in or out as may be required. Next time, if there is one, it will take you a couple of minutes instead of an hour and a half of hammering and scoring the pin and holes. -Paul
Old 09-25-2019, 03:42 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Heres was my problem the wires entering the controller were not sealed, after installing the new one i sprayed the wires with grease, sealed up tight now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	controller steps.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	261412  
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:14 AM   #41

Thank you to all for the Kwikee steps pictures and comments. My steps stopped retracting recently while on a trip. I had to secure them manually with rope as an emergency procedure for travel until I returned home. I am now in the process of preparing to remove and install both the motor and gear linkage. My motor runs but the steps do not move indicating bad gear. Those pictures will surely help me with my installation.
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:07 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
Yes, their primary function is to act as a stop when the steps are fully extended.

What loosening them and rotating the eccentric bushing (cam)does is give you a greater range of travel so that the holes can be lined up properly and the pin will simply slip right in or out as may be required. Next time, if there is one, it will take you a couple of minutes instead of an hour and a half of hammering and scoring the pin and holes. -Paul
Unfortunately for me my step stopped working while retracted (in) and the bolt does nothing then. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Tags
steps, kwikee