RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2019, 11:51 AM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On these newer coaches, your bays run pretty hot just by themselves. With the Oasis operating in the bay, the inverter and other electronics, our bays stay plenty warm. I keep a remote thermometer in the storage bays and placed the receiver in cabinet on the kitchen slide that has the wood partially blocking the top of the cabinet. That wood wall is great for hanging keys, remotes and other items.

The reason I mention this…….during the summer, I find the bays get really hot. On my 2014 DS, I installed an inline bathroom fan in the bay to bring down the temps. Nothing like opening a bay door and getting blasted by air that is hotter than outside.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhound View Post
out of curiosity... do you guys still run your water (e.g. dishes, ice, shower, washing machine) with temps as low as reported in the previous posts? I have always been too scared of busting a line when ambient temp is below 30, so I have avoided it and keep little heaters running in the wet bay.

it is quite inconvenient stockpiling the dishes and clothes for a warmer day.
My NA has been in my drive all winter with temps getting below 17 some nights and highs in the twenties and I have the Oasis set at 55 and a Vornado space heater with the floors on 4 if for if forecasted to be in the twenties the unit stays above 60 inside and the Oasis very seldom runs. Will say the vornado and floors have raised my electric bill a bit. The heater in the wet bay works well and having the burner on and or the ac elements for the oasis is all you need for the wet bay and you will be fine to use all the equipment you need.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #17
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have people from Canada that enjoy the winter in their MH's for skiing and other winter sports just follow what this member did in sub zero weather.
Your coach is well insulated enjoy it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:21 PM   #18

Next Coach will have heated floors... I know because the Wife said so

On the newer coaches are you finding that the coach has equal heat in all areas?

I'm still experimenting to find the best way to keep the master bath from roasting us alive... Tonight I'm trying setting all three zones to auto to see if it helps.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:03 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
My NA has been in my drive all winter with temps getting below 17 some nights and highs in the twenties and I have the Oasis set at 55 and a Vornado space heater with the floors on 4 if for if forecasted to be in the twenties the unit stays above 60 inside and the Oasis very seldom runs. Will say the vornado and floors have raised my electric bill a bit. The heater in the wet bay works well and having the burner on and or the ac elements for the oasis is all you need for the wet bay and you will be fine to use all the equipment you need.
Thought I would try a test in my CS with the polar park option and those space heaters in the bays with my tanks. In Colorado Springs the nights have been in the mid-20s and daytime temps above freezing and sunny. So, by mid-day I am usually 100%. A few days ago I thought I would try using the faucet and shower at 8am. No joy. Somewhere a line is freezing up. Looking forward to the additional 'features' in the NA (e.g. bay heat, heated floors, oasis, etc). Sounds like I can expect a different experience.
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:52 PM   #20

Heat vs furnace

Hi I have a 2013 bay star 2901. I am a newbie. Could someone please explain when I use the heat pump vs the furnace in colder weather? I am really green first time Rv owner.
Roxywis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:28 PM   #21
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Boy, did not know the Newmar gassers had any issues in cold weather. Never owned one, just surprised. Nether of my two Ventana’s have had an issue in the cold. Been in Loveland Co in -7 degree temps with highs in the 20’s. Of course you are on oasis in these temps as you are far outside of the heat pump operating conditions. Wet bay heater keeps bay warm. You can not use external water hook ups but the fresh water tank works fine.

As far as balance in both heating and cooling, my experience is each Newmar coach has different setting to balance temps in the coach. My setup for cold weather in my 4369 is to run the oasis on zone 1 at 70, zone 2 on heat pump at 71, and zone 3 on heat pump at 70. Seems like each zone comes on about the same amount of time as the other.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:59 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxywis View Post
Hi I have a 2013 bay star 2901. I am a newbie. Could someone please explain when I use the heat pump vs the furnace in colder weather? I am really green first time Rv owner.

The heat pump will warm your head and the top of the coach and is not very good below 40 degrees. The HP cycles when cold to defrost and I do not use it when it is in the 30s or less. I boondock and the fresh water tank's heat pad cycles to maintain 40 degrees. The hot water heater and furnace under the galley keep the front warm. In the teens I set the furnace to 55 at night and all warm air vents that are adjustable are aimed to the floor. The air temp is balanced and the floor is warm around the bathroom at 4am. I see up to 86 degrees in the water bay area when the furnace has been running. The dual pane windows, MCD shades, polar pack, and Newmars 3" construction will maintain about a 20 degree difference between in and outside temps (furnace set at 55 does not cycle until outside temp is below 35 for a hour of so).
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:15 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxywis View Post
HP works down to 40 degrees. So, below that your only choice is to use your furnace.
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:32 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have heated floors in our coach, but can only use them on low because our dog likes cold tile floors to sleep on. And she really doesn't like hot floors at all. So we just turn on zones 2 and 3 on low and leave the front cold. It's clear who rules the roost!
Old 02-07-2019, 08:14 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Does anyone keep their floors on or ACI ACII in storage?
TheRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:27 AM   #26

Oasis using AC1 and AC2 in storage, set at 50 degrees

FMCA #F456868 NKK #23023
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heating, newmar