Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #1

The best heating in a Newmar

Getting a chance this cold weather season to taking advantage of the great heating in our 18 LA. In our previous Essex you couldn't have both the heat pumps and the Hydro-Hot/Oasis heating operating at the same time like the LA can. It doesn't take long to heat the coach with both heating systems going at the same time and then you add floor heat and it's very comfortable quickly. The Silver Leaf control are great and that is what allows us to have all these heating sources going at the same time. Is this heating control the same across the Newmar coach line?
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I never had a DSDP, MADP OR ESSEX just a well insulated Newmar coach both the living area and lower compartments.
did have the winter option in my gas coach's that proved its worth.
Tom if your talking about some new type heat control what is it and most heat pumps may not work below 32* so most of your heat is coming from the Hydro/Aque hot or your Oasis which are very good if maintained.
And of course you big boys have the heated floors.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
Rd1

The heat pumps do stop below 40. OTH, I can maintain about 60f inside even at mid 30s temp just with floor heats at 6-8 setting. the kitchen area always stays warmer, so a lower setting works fine. too bad they can't tie up the floor heat to the thermostat.. it is the best source of heat. quiet and most comfortable. does take a good few hrs to warm every thing.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #4

As I've posted before many times, I LOVE FLOOR HEAT! Don't use the heat pumps and have only used the Oasis a couple times when temps go below 38 or so.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:00 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It took awhile to convince me to order heated floors when we were ordering the coach, but I did. On our second trip, we had full hookups and mid 30's overnight. The floor heat was all that was needed overnight.

A trip just this last week, we had high 20's at night and used the floor heat and set the Oasis at 64 overnight with just the two electric elements on. We have the fireplace and run it (quiet) until were ready for bed.

We really like the heated floors, but like other heating systems, you need to manage them. We turn them off in the morning so the coach doesn't roast all day.

We have the two heat pumps, but just don't see using them much anymore, since they're so loud. Currently, one doesn't work, delivered from the factory that way.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
It took awhile to convince me to order heated floors when we were ordering the coach, but I did. On our second trip, we had full hookups and mid 30's overnight. The floor heat was all that was needed overnight.

A trip just this last week, we had high 20's at night and used the floor heat and set the Oasis at 64 overnight with just the two electric elements on. We have the fireplace and run it (quiet) until were ready for bed.

We really like the heated floors, but like other heating systems, you need to manage them. We turn them off in the morning so the coach doesn't roast all day.

We have the two heat pumps, but just don't see using them much anymore, since they're so loud. Currently, one doesn't work, delivered from the factory that way.
What setting do you use H/M/L on the floor heat? 30 Deg=H or....?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:30 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Yes....we found High worked for us on the two trips we've used it. Our next trip is to Quartzsite in two weeks and suspect we'll be using a lower setting.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Yes....we found High worked for us on the two trips we've used it. Our next trip is to Quartzsite in two weeks and suspect we'll be using a lower setting.
Thanks
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:24 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I think I'm getting a case of floor-heat envy.
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:33 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I love my heated floors. The best option I chose fo my 20 19 DSDP. We also have pretty much given up using the heat pumps. Floors and then OASIS, when the floors are not enough (usually below 30f).
Old 01-05-2019, 08:34 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
out of curiosity... do you guys still run your water (e.g. dishes, ice, shower, washing machine) with temps as low as reported in the previous posts? I have always been too scared of busting a line when ambient temp is below 30, so I have avoided it and keep little heaters running in the wet bay.

it is quite inconvenient stockpiling the dishes and clothes for a warmer day.
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:24 PM   #12
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
For those of us without floor heat and have three ac/heat pumps you can run both oasis and HP at the same time, sort of. If temps are in the 40s we set the oasis on in zones 1 and 3 and then set the HP for zone 2. Makes for nice even heat in the coach.

As to running water below freezing, if you have a DP Newmar the oasis system has a heater in the water bay the comes on at 40 degrees. Water lines are in insulated floors. We have been in temps as low as -7 and no issues with running any system. If you get a chance to visit the factory, take a look at where the water lines are run.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhound View Post
out of curiosity... do you guys still run your water (e.g. dishes, ice, shower, washing machine) with temps as low as reported in the previous posts? I have always been too scared of busting a line when ambient temp is below 30, so I have avoided it and keep little heaters running in the wet bay.

it is quite inconvenient stockpiling the dishes and clothes for a warmer day.
Living in cold ND, I'm a bit cautious about venturing about in 0 degree weather but we've done it a few times. We're heading out for about a month in February though most of that time will be in southern states with better temps. We'll have a couple of cold days on the way there and again on the return. Going down the road is no problem as the engine generates plenty of heat. Once stopped, the Oasis burner takes over and keeps things quite comfortable. I would think that in a New Air you should be quite comfortable - especially if you have the addition of heated floors. Even without the heated floors, we are quite comfortable. To minimize the noise of the furnace, we use an electric blanket for sleeping. It is LOVELY! We used to have a 2005 DSDP with a propane furnace that was also very good in the cold.

RB
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:32 AM   #14

I thought it would be a challenge to stay warm on 30 AMP service in our MADP. Turns out that with heated floors and just AC#1 energized (no burner) the coach maintained 55 F with overnight temps as low as 3 degrees F. With the burner activated, the coach is warm indeed; t-shirt temperatures. Also, when the burner is selected, it does not run constantly- it cycles on for a few minutes every now and then to maintain the hydronic system to desired temperature, using very little diesel fuel. I have no concerns about staying warm in winter- it's a very good system.
PamLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heating, newmar