RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #1

The Comfort of Comfort Drive

Thursday 4/12/18 I left Laughlin NV at Noon. It's about a 30 mile drive due south to get to the I-40. Wind along River Rd as I was heading towards I-40 was moderate but not causing any problems. When I entered West Bound I-40 heading home, the winds were hellacious. I had a side wind blowing from north to south and at times road visibility was less than 100 feet with wind gusts exceeding 50 MPH.
But, I hardly knew the wind was blowing and had it not been for the excessive dust blowing and the lack of long range visibility it would have been like any other normal day. Other motor homes on the road were all over the place moving within their lane and many times crossing the painted lane dividers.

I stopped at the rest stop that's about 30 miles east of Barstow and when I opened the entrance door, the wind was blowing so hard it ripped the door from my hand and had it not been for the built in 'stop' the door would have slammed into the side of the coach. As previously said, the wind was hellacious and didn't slow down until I was south of Victorville.

I had the Comfort Drive cranked up to the "9" position and was totally impressed with what it accomplished. I purchased this coach new in 2016 and quite frankly this is the first time where I've "REALLY" noticed the benefit of Comfort Drive.

I know others have posted their experiences with CD but I just had to say something for those on the edge as to Comfort Drives usefulness.

Bottom line, It's GREAT

LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #2

No argument there! Once you have had Comfort Drive, you can never go back!

Peter

Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:28 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a similar experience last week driving home from Spartan in Michigan. I stopped for fuel and the door almost blew off when I opened it to get out. I had no idea the wind was blowing that hard. I had no indication the wind was that bad driving the coach.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #4

I have a 2010 3623 DS with Comfort Steer and came from a 36 foot 5th wheel pulled by F250. I don't have a comparison of driving a none Comfort Steer rig over mine. I like the Comfort Steer but not sure I can attest to the miraculous rides stated above. I must say that, in windy conditions, I still get pushed around a bit but it is not a panic situation. I am curious, can anyone with real life experiences tell me if non Comfort Steer handling compares to Comfort Steer at the off position or the half way position? Now if I were to turn the knob to the "off" I do find the wind to be terrifying. Finally, I am wondering if the above experiences are magnified by the longer wheel based coach with, in some instances, the tag axle?
jbikes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #5

Leaving St. Augustine and cutting over to SW Alabama last week we drove most of it in a storm. I had my CS on number 4 and the coach didn't handle any differently than if we were out on a day with zero wind blowing.

The wind was only around 15 to 20mph with occasional higher gusts but it was not an issue. I'm guessing the tag does help also.

In 30 to 40mph cross winds towing a 24' enclosed trailer I'm guessing it won't be as comfortable though. But maybe even those types of winds won't make a difference.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbikes1 View Post
I am curious, can anyone with real life experiences tell me if non Comfort Steer handling compares to Comfort Steer at the off position or the half way position? Now if I were to turn the knob to the "off" I do find the wind to be terrifying.
You asked for comments with 'real life experiences' so I guess that would be me.

You have successfully confused me because I am not aware that there is an 'off' position with the Comfort Drive system. There is only a continuous control from really light steering at the smallest number to really heavy steering at the largest number.

As I described in my Comfort Drive article, found at http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=232, I noted that no matter what setting you as the driver choose, the CD is still functioning and providing all the benefits of the system.

The article also talks about how to turn it off and why you should not do it.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:32 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSherwin View Post
You asked for comments with 'real life experiences' so I guess that would be me.

You have successfully confused me because I am not aware that there is an 'off' position with the Comfort Drive system. There is only a continuous control from really light steering at the smallest number to really heavy steering at the largest number.

As I described in my Comfort Drive article, found at http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=232, I noted that no matter what setting you as the driver choose, the CD is still functioning and providing all the benefits of the system.

The article also talks about how to turn it off and why you should not do it.
Ken:

I think that the human response to Comfort Drive is what creates so many questions. The mechanical aspect of the system operates just as you have described numerous times; it is the human interface that is the unpredictable component.

I am a huge believer in the CD system and...quite honestly...would never have a coach without it. And, I have experienced some very windy conditions in our CD-equipped coach (70 mph crosswinds in Wyoming were certainly memorable).

While I think I understand the CD mechanical system (as a result of your very informative posts and articles), I find myself feeling more secure in high-wind situations with the control know turned up more than normal. It just feels better. I believe this has to do with the natural human reaction to sudden events while driving; my mind tells me I need more control even though the actual system is doing the real work.

We humans are infinitely different in our mental approach to things that threaten us in some way. As a result, we react differently to the assistance CD provides. Does this make any sense?

TJ
Old 04-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #8

In the past I had a 05 Monaco Camelot and 07 Country Coach Inspire. Both of these coaches are built on a solid chassis with large tires. Both were good driving coaches. In my personal opinion, the Monaco was the better driver of the two. Fast forward to the present, I have a 17 DSDP, best driver of the three by far. CD is a big part of that. To be fair, another factor is the DS has a tag axle.

I can tell you that CD does make a difference. Not just in windy conditions but also in good conditions it will help you relax and be able to drive for longer periods. For me I had to learn not to over steer. Just hold the wheel steady and let the CD do it's job. As mentioned in other posts, the system is working the same regardless of dial position. The dial only increases/decreases the resistance "you" feel in the wheel. I have a local road I drive regularly that has a long gradual curve. As I drive along CD thinks there is something holding the wheel off center and learns the position. When I come out of the curve CD holds this off center until it learns I'm going straight again. The process takes maybe 20 seconds.

We met a couple about a month ago who just bought a new MADP. Their first coach. He mentioned he was surprised how easy the it was to drive. I later thought, the only coach he has ever driven...he'll never how good it really drives.

Read Ken's CD Tour, helped me understand CD better. I think most people and most dealers don't understand how it really works.
cti2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:34 PM   #9

Larry, that’s awesome to hear, we left Laughlin about noon in our crew cab super duty and got pushed around quit a bit and we were thankful we did not bring the motorhome. Now with your write up, I will be a lot more confident when traveling in the wind. Our last rig was an E Ticket Ride in windy conditions.
ddowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #10

Three thoughts:
1. The Monaco I put a CD on drove immensely better according to their engineers. This was just before they went under so nothing came of it.

2. My earlier post in this thread was in response to the incorrect thought that there was an ‘off’ position on the efforts control.

3. I completely agree that different people have different opinions on the ‘correct’ way to deal with less than ideal driving conditions. Every one of those opinions is completely valid. This is why I gave each one of you the ability to change it whenever and however you want rather than me programming it in.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:49 PM   #11

I just spent today watching tt, 5th wheels and MH'S get bounced around while I stayed smooth as glass. First I was driving into a strong head wind going morth on US19. Then turned west on I-10, where I was getting a direct cross wind. Not sure what speeds the wind were, but trees were bending over and everyone else was having a hard time keeping it on the road. I had mo such problem.
BobKatMsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cti2000 View Post
I have a local road I drive regularly that has a long gradual curve. As I drive along CD thinks there is something holding the wheel off center and learns the position. When I come out of the curve CD holds this off center until it learns I'm going straight again. The process takes maybe 20 seconds.

Unfortuntely, that's exactly how it works because of an assumption I was forced to make. I discussed this in the tour, too. The next generation system will solve this issue. Whoops. I didn't say that, folks. Please don't tell on me!!

Read Ken's CD Tour, helped me understand CD better. I think most people and most dealers don't understand how it really works.
I can vouch for that! It's why I wrote the tour, just for all you nice folks.
Ken
Old 04-16-2018, 09:15 PM   #13

I have an old Dutch Star 2008 non adjustable.. I to just came from AZ to IN via I40 in the wind. I know is is very windy, a lot of wind noise from wind buffeting on the side of the MH. Everytime I come out from under and overpass where it is sheltered from the wind having the wheel turned into the wind by comfort drive causes a reaction into direction wind is from. Also wind gust still have an effect, comfort drive has no way to fix a side gust like when coming out from a tree shielded area along the road. I don't hate the CD (glad we have it) but I still don't like or enjoy driving in high wind.
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:36 PM   #14

When I click on the link to watch the video, I get a message that says, slow down, you have to wait 57 seconds in order to download another video.
I haven't downloaded anything. How can I watch that video about CD??

edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote