Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
The woes of learning a coach

Got to pass on this funny story of how I can be an idiot. We bought a 2005 DS a few months back. It's a great coach and I'm loving more each day, but certain things I guess you have to figure out yourself. So, there's a switch outside the shower that's marked "heat pads". Since we have ceramic tile floors, I thought "man this is nice, heated floor outside the shower". Well I turned on the switch one day and the floor never heated up. Couple of days later I checked the circuit breaker, (it was on), and hit the switch again. I waited about an hour and then got on my hands and knees to feel if the floor heated up, it didn't. All day I kept thinking about it and wondering if it was worth trying to fix it. So I went on Newmar's website and found out that the "heating pads" were to keep the tanks warm, not the floor outside the shower. Every time I had it on the only thing I did was warm up my poop. Who knows one day I might need to heat up the tanks.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Charlie, I can sure relate!

The very first thing I learned was that you have to check and make sure your basement lights are off when you are done.

I remember driving away after our first purchase. I almost wished I had video'd the walkthrough with the previous owner. It was daunting to say the least. I learned as much about every sytem I could. Learned tons from this website and a lot from trial and error and self diagnosis.

Then I sold that unit and bought one a few years newer.

Man, technology changes so fast, I'm having to learn all over again cause with a different brand of coach, a few years newer, nothing is the same except the concept!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Living in the north I put my coach away for the winter mid November, and take it out beginning of April. That said, every year it's like starting all over again, having to relearn all the systems, trying to remember all the tricks from previous years. I just chalk the experience up to helping keep my mind active and young. I've even tried writing it all down....NAH I'll remember it.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not to worry, most folks don't know what that switch means. In our coach, I have labled the switches "DO NOT USE" as some guests thought they heated something......
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Living in the north I put my coach away for the winter mid November, and take it out beginning of April. That said, every year it's like starting all over again, having to relearn all the systems, trying to remember all the tricks from previous years. I just chalk the experience up to helping keep my mind active and young. I've even tried writing it all down....NAH I'll remember it.
I hate to say this but you doing it wrong. November is the time to flash it up and point it south, and drive till the people you talk to don't know the meaning of the word " frost" or a least till the local golf course has no posted closing dates.