Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2019, 08:49 PM   #15
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Yes, that's the new Kenwood I've been looking at. Haven't found anyone that has one in stock yet.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2019, 06:26 PM   #16

dealers

I talked to my audio guy who is a Kenwood dealer and asked him for the price on the DNX775RVS. He inquired and was told he cannot sell them as they are only sold by "RV Retailers" whatever that means? That seems counter-intuitive to me.
2017 Prevost Marathon #1250
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk w/AF1 and Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow System
Orinda, CA
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridany View Post
I talked to my audio guy who is a Kenwood dealer and asked him for the price on the DNX775RVS. He inquired and was told he cannot sell them as they are only sold by "RV Retailers" whatever that means? That seems counter-intuitive to me.
Ironically I emailed my audio guy too and he said the same thing, they are only providing this directly to RV manufacturers. I asked how it compared to the Pioneer AVIC 8201 I have and he said there's no difference from the audio side, only the navigation system. I'm not sure if the Kenwood provides the audio feedback such as speed limit warnings the Pioneer has which I really like. I'm staying with my Pioneer, it's been good. I am adding a switch that kills power to the unit though as in the RV the dash radio never turns off and it just causes issues over time that requires a power cycle.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:55 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The Kenwood 994S gives speed limit warnings, a feature a really like, especially when you enter a small town. I'm guessing if the 994S offers it, the RV one will too.

Since I'm half death, I just need my buddy, who runs the Warner Brothers Sound Department, to come over and adjust all the sound settings. Heck, I told my wife the last two keys on her piano were broken.....their not, I can't hear them.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:21 AM   #19

I'm of the same opinion as Don on the "RV" GPS. To date all the warnings from the Rand unit on weight were bogus. And the unit has tried to route away from optimal interstate routes because of erroneous information on restrictions. I turned off all the warnings, I don't need to be told there's a curve in the road.

Thanks for sharing Don, replacing that unit has been on my to do list for a while, time to get busy!
Old 02-10-2019, 07:09 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I wouldn't put all "RV GPS" into the same category. The Garmin RV (770-LMT) has been a winner to me, I trust it and fully rely on it. If I was as tall as a DSDP or higher with Girards there is no way I'd NOT use a RV GPS. To each their own but complacency is a killer!
Old 02-10-2019, 07:28 AM   #21

Try car and stereo warehouse in Charlotte NC. When I called about the Dnx775rvs they had it for $1300 2 days shipping. Too much for me. I went with a Avic-w4400 nex pioneer and a trucker gps for half the cost!!
Old 02-10-2019, 07:09 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Don, I felt the same about my Xite from "day one"! A cheap, piece of junk from an Asian source, fitted with R-M software for name recognition and voila!....A "High-end" unit for the high end coaches like Newmar and Entegra.
Didn't have enough power to operate even the smallest, most efficient speakers without big time distortion. I've never found a factory unit in a boat, car or MH that was better than my trusty Garmins, which have free map upgrades to boot! And when they crater, just toss 'em and get a more updated one.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:48 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The Kenwood 994S gives speed limit warnings, a feature a really like, especially when you enter a small town. I'm guessing if the 994S offers it, the RV one will too.

Since I'm half death, I just need my buddy, who runs the Warner Brothers Sound Department, to come over and adjust all the sound settings. Heck, I told my wife the last two keys on her piano were broken.....their not, I can't hear them.
Just a little note, the Xite also gives speed warnings. Sound quality is definitely questionable, but the 70's made me almost as bad ad Don's.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:20 PM   #24
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I asked Newmar for a price on removing the Xite radio/GPS and installing a Kenwood DNX775RVS that I would provide. They seem to think it is an 8-hour job that would run just north of $1K. DS Don, did it take you 8 hours to do the swap out on yours? I know it is a slightly different radio but I would think the electrical connections would be at least similar.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:18 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
TJ, call around to local car audio shops. I found one near me that was even familiar with RV’s and installed my Pioneer, better subwoofer and amp. I did the alpine speakers. Makes the drive even better.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #26
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It was a straight across wire to wire exchange. For a change, Newmar left enough wire to extend the harness out of the dash and work on it. The tin double din housing took all of 10 minutes to exchange. I don't do this on a regular basis, so I'm not as fast as someone who does radio wiring. From start to finish, including getting out my tools and putting them away....it took about 2.5 hours. If I had to do it again, I could knock it out in under an hour.

The only thing that wasn't changed was the GPS antenna through the roof. I left the old one in place and I'm currently trying the new antenna on the dash. If it doesn't read well, I'll move it up the "A" arm to the upper cabinets.

There time estimate is outrageous.

Jim, there was nothing exotic about swapping the radios. The wires on the Xite and the Kenwood are the same color code. Pretty much, cut and reattach. The Sirius XM tuner is already there and it just plugs back into the new radio. If you're at all comfortable with handling the splicing of the wires, it's a pretty easy DIY job.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
I asked Newmar for a price on removing the Xite radio/GPS and installing a Kenwood DNX775RVS that I would provide. They seem to think it is an 8-hour job that would run just north of $1K. DS Don, did it take you 8 hours to do the swap out on yours? I know it is a slightly different radio but I would think the electrical connections would be at least similar.

TJ
Your local Best Buy will install it. You do not have to purchase the unit from them. They have a deal going on now that's $ 199.00 called total tech. It includes all your tech home and auto for one year.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Update on the speed limit alert. I was driving to an appointment at Freightliner this morning and kept hearing this odd sound. It sounded like the cross between a beep and a water drop. Great...what's this new alarm! It would beep every 15 seconds. Nothing lighting up on the dash and then it dawned on me. I was over the speed limit. On previous radios, it would say, "speed limit warning" once and then stop until the next time the limit was exceeded. This Kenwood continues to repeat the beep until you drop below the speed limit.

I'll have to see how annoying it becomes and it may have to be turned off.

Tags
radio