RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2006, 05:39 AM   #1

Thetford Toilet Bowl not holding water.

I have a Thetford Electric Toilet. This
morning I noticed that the bowl won't hold water for more than 30 seconds. The owners manual suggests cleaning out the "groove" the
gasket / flush door slides into. I've done that and still have the problem. Is there any kind of adjustment on how well the gasket
seals? Or does anyone have any other suggestions. Somewhere I thought
I read about some stuff to put on the gasket that would keep it flexible and maintain a good seal. (The gasket doesn't feel like it has any cuts or hard spots on it and still feels flexible.) I'd prefer not to have to take it
to the dealer for just this little problem.

Thanks

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2006, 10:09 AM   #2

Sometimes the valves have a calcium buildup from using hard water. After cleaning the groove very well with a mechanical tool I used a little oxalic acid to remove the buildup. It was actually Star Brite boat hull cleaner from Wal-Mart. Use an old tooth brush and and the acid, scrub the groove then, pour a little in and work the pedal, a little more and let set with the valve closed. Careful and don't drop the toothbrush in the tank. Worked on mine.

Wayne/FL

Old 05-21-2006, 03:07 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a similar problem on my Pace Arrow. Toilet paper had gotten caught in the groove and kept the slide from getting all the way closed. I put in a whole new slide and gasket by removing the whole toilet. When I had it out I found I would only have needed a small wire to pull the paper out on the side where it should close. Use a small mirror and light to look in the groove and you hopefully will be able to see something in there. I was always afraid of tearing something putting a wire in there but that is not much of a problem. I used an old coat hanger wire. Forget the toothbrush, they have a taste after you get them back in the holder.
bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 03:31 PM   #4

TO, Jack Foster,

RE; Toilet not holding water,

I have an Aria, thetfort electric tioletand as Bsinmich posts, I too have used a bent coat hanger, shaped like an allen wrench, File any sharp edges off wire so as not to cut gasket. Yuo can feel the slot in rubber? seal and will take several passes to remove build-up of toilet tissue caught by too fast closings. I have a water saver switch on back of toiletto use less water and if button is released too soon , the valve catches the tissue. Now I only use water saver when boondocking and tell users to hold button until bowl is empty.

Hope this helps

===== == Aime==== AJBJRVERS==
Old 05-21-2006, 05:01 PM   #5

Are these the "Thetford Vacuum Flush Stools" being offered as standard on the 2007 Newmars? If so we may have to specify the standard stool as we have had vacuum flush toliets on our boat that were nothing but problems.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:48 AM   #6

To, Dav 5942,

I don't think so, but the last Newmar literature I read , " 06" stated the Aria electric is standard. On my " 02" it was an option. I'd get it again. No problems once I figured out flushing switch and it's china and easy to keep clean and no pedals.

== Aime===== AJBJRVERS===
Old 05-22-2006, 03:46 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack Foster:
I have a Thetford Electric Toilet. This
morning I noticed that the bowl won't hold water for more than 30 seconds. The owners manual suggests cleaning out the "groove" the
gasket / flush door slides into. I've done that and still have the problem. Is there any kind of adjustment on how well the gasket
seals? Or does anyone have any other suggestions. I'd prefer not to have to take it
to the dealer for just this little problem.

Thanks

Jack </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We also have that electric toilet in our 2005 Mountain Aire.. Thetford suggested using silicone spray on the seal...
It seems to be a recurring problem since we stayed in a hard water area in AZ. this past winter.

3778 W24
paulmarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:49 AM   #8

Just a followup and thanks to all for replying. I went out and bought a small mechanics mirror and was able to see where two large "chunks" of toilet paper had gotten stuck in the gasket groove. With the aid of the mirror, I used the short end of an allen wrench and was able to get the wads of paper out. Everything is now working fine and is back to normal.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsinmich View Post
I had a similar problem on my Pace Arrow. Toilet paper had gotten caught in the groove and kept the slide from getting all the way closed. I put in a whole new slide and gasket by removing the whole toilet. When I had it out I found I would only have needed a small wire to pull the paper out on the side where it should close. Use a small mirror and light to look in the groove and you hopefully will be able to see something in there. I was always afraid of tearing something putting a wire in there but that is not much of a problem. I used an old coat hanger wire. Forget the toothbrush, they have a taste after you get them back in the holder.
HAHA! Here I am 7 yrs later looking for an answer to this same question. Thanks for the belly laugh with your remark about "forget the toothbrush....they have a taste..."!!!
dhemstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #10

Make sure you use HER toothbrush. That way you can giggle while you work
CJGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the tip with mirror Jack you can get close to the problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJGJR View Post
Make sure you use HER toothbrush. That way you can giggle while you work
Haha...you mean "HIS" toothbrush, cuz I AM the 'her'. If I waited for him to take care of the problem, it would never get done! The Honey-Do list around here is always mine, not hubby's!!

dhemstock is offline   Reply With Quote