RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #1
FCO

Things Come in 3's - Loss of Steering/Coolant Leak/Clanking from Engine

I hope it's over! They say things come in 3's. Here are my 3 things for June:

1. Loss of Steering - Driver side Bell Crank Ball Joint came off (fixed)

2. Coolant Leak - Leaking Coolant from nut on sight glass of coolant reservoir (ordering parts should be fixed Monday). Started to leak on route home from item 1 above.

3. Clanking from Engine - Started coach up to take to service center to fix Coolant Leak above. Awful clanking noise coming from engine (ISX15). Called Newmar. Called Spartan. Called Cummins (Cummins rep was a JERK!). Called Transwest (I purchased coach from them). Transwest sent Patrick (Mobile Service Truck) out to take a look. Patrick looked at everything. NO service code, No check engine light, nothing. He hooked up his computer to the diagnostic plug, everything looked good. Checked with Cummins and sure enough, Cummins was aware of this problem. My ECM needed the latest software revision according to Cummins. My ISX15 was at revision .10 and the latest is .33. We upload the latest software revision and the Clanking is gone! Amazing! Why did it start at 12k miles? Why was the fix so easy? Why was my engine ECM, 23 revision from the latest revision?

I hope this is it! We are hopefully on the road again next week.

FCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 10:22 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I wouldn't be too happy with Cummings or Newmar. Over that software revision. Has that chassis been sitting around that long? Why wouldn't Newmar upgrade to the newest revision prior to delivery?

BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Versions are not necessarily distributed. It is a way to keep track of changes to the software.

I was recently at Freightliner for another issue and as part of the service they upgraded the ECM software. The mechanic says it is prudent to take it in every couple years for an upgrade. Since I am on the Cummins site and they have my service records I am going to see if I can keep track of the current version on the engine and any upgrades that have been released.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #4

The cummins revisions don't necessarily mean you missed 23 prior updates. When cummins modifies the ECU programing they may make multiple changes at once with each tweak or change getting a number. It is entirely possible the mod to the ecu program just came out recently and includes 23 "Tweaks".
patch-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCO View Post
I hope it's over! They say things come in 3's. Here are my 3 things for June:

I hope this is it! We are hopefully on the road again next week.
That's only in standard, in metric it's 4. Check to see if you have metric bad luck!

dea49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Maybe #3 is winning the lottery. Buy a ticket!

Tags
engine, leak, steering