Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2018, 10:27 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Things that make you wonder

I have a 2018 New Aire that has several small changes that are also common to other models on that make you wonder why the change. I admit these are minor but they don't seem to make sense. Maybe afters 13 years habits are hard to change. Just a few and I am sure there others have their own little gripes. Had I not had a previous coach that trained me to the other way of doing things I may not feel it is an issue.

1. Newmar changed the location of the interior step cover switch from the dash which can be reached by the driver to the passenger side door which the driver cannot reach without getting out of his seat. I am looking at moving the switch back to the blank switch on the dash.

2. The entry used to be programed to allow opening of the entry door only or the bay doors now it does both at once, been that way for a few years I guess by why?

I suppose these are somehow cost issues but they still make no sense to me, I am sure we are have these little quirks that bug us and really are just convenience issues but why change for change sake alone.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2018, 02:56 PM   #2

I going to try and change programming on door lock. Why cycle the storage doors every time I enter coach? Just stupid engineering and you are correct it makes no sense!
Newaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:14 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newaire1 View Post
I going to try and change programming on door lock. Why cycle the storage doors every time I enter coach? Just stupid engineering and you are correct it makes no sense!

I have spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Trimark, we tried all of the DIP Switch settings and nothing changed. In the end they said it has to do with a the way Newmar has it hard wired. At least this is true for my 18DS
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
I have a 2018 New Aire that has several small changes that are also common to other models on that make you wonder why the change. I admit these are minor but they don't seem to make sense. Maybe afters 13 years habits are hard to change. Just a few and I am sure there others have their own little gripes. Had I not had a previous coach that trained me to the other way of doing things I may not feel it is an issue.

1. Newmar changed the location of the interior step cover switch from the dash which can be reached by the driver to the passenger side door which the driver cannot reach without getting out of his seat. I am looking at moving the switch back to the blank switch on the dash.

2. The entry used to be programed to allow opening of the entry door only or the bay doors now it does both at once, been that way for a few years I guess by why?

I suppose these are somehow cost issues but they still make no sense to me, I am sure we are have these little quirks that bug us and really are just convenience issues but why change for change sake alone.

The answer given to me on both of these items is that Newmar “learned” through focus groups that this was what they wanted, hard to believe as no one here seems to like them[emoji51]
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:20 AM   #5

You mention you have been trained to do things a certain way due to your 13 years...from a couple who are new to this game, I wondered why the step cover switch WASN'T on the passenger switch bank. My bride has to unbuckle her seatbelt to use the switch and we thought...why isn't it closer to the person who uses the step cover? However, I agree with you on the remote door locking. Maybe you you'll need to disprove "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:43 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Things that make you wonder...

Our last coach was a 2003 Monaco Windsor and the step cover was on the side of the passenger seat. I never questioned that. It made sense to us that the passenger would be the one to deploy it.

Same for us with the lock/unlock feature. Seems I am ALWAYS going into the bays for something when we get back to the coach, and having them automatically unlocked with one action is helpful. I also appreciate the location of the lock/unlock switch on the passenger side for securing the bays.

On my coach now, the key fob gives the option of opening only the entry door or only the bays.

In all, I think it's a pretty user-friendly set up.
Semituff810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesimonson View Post
You mention you have been trained to do things a certain way due to your 13 years...from a couple who are new to this game, I wondered why the step cover switch WASN'T on the passenger switch bank. My bride has to unbuckle her seatbelt to use the switch and we thought...why isn't it closer to the person who uses the step cover? However, I agree with you on the remote door locking. Maybe you you'll need to disprove "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"
The switch was located on the right side of the switches on the dash and was easier for me to reach when by myself and the wife could reach it with no problem. No big deal is the big deal just now what I am use to.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newaire1 View Post
If you find a solution to this idiotic setup, I’d love to make the change too.

It’s absolutely ridiculous to cycle the cargo door locks when I just want to open the entry door. To me, more cycles means will fail sooner.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote