Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyh View Post
We've been fulltiming in our 2015 DS 4369 for a little over 2 years. We absolutely love the floor plan and are completely comfortable living in it fulltime.
x2 with the exception as we are at 1 1/2years. The coach is big enough for us to misplace things. As for fuel, we use truck stops 99% of the time for all the reasons mentioned. We do spend time planning and use google earth to check our route and fuel stops. We also use the trucker atlas along with GPS. Mileage ranges from 7.5-8.5 as we mosey along at 60. We have never felt cramped for space. We have done a lot of mountain driving switchbacks and all and the coach has performed perfectly so don't let size scare you. Good luck!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2017, 08:29 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Spartan Chassis
Lundman, I recently took delivery of a 2018 Dutch Star 4327 for full-timing as a solo beginning next spring. Considered the same factors that you are. It was either the 4018 or the 4327, and in the end it all came down to storage, storage and storage. The 4018 is short on closet space and basement storage compared to the 43' plans. Couldn't see how I'd fit everything I want to bring from the house into it. Didn't want to sacrifice and minimize that much. Decided on the 4327 because of the angled kitchen. The large, full-width closet along the back wall and the extra three feet of basement space are big pluses. The 40" shower, versus the 50" in the 4369, is plenty roomy and comfortable. Customized it with a fireplace and cabinets by the TV. Have slept in it only two nights so far, but am really pleased with the decision.
Dahai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahai View Post
Lundman, I recently took delivery of a 2018 Dutch Star 4327 for full-timing as a solo beginning next spring. Considered the same factors that you are. It was either the 4018 or the 4327, and in the end it all came down to storage, storage and storage. The 4018 is short on closet space and basement storage compared to the 43' plans. Couldn't see how I'd fit everything I want to bring from the house into it. Didn't want to sacrifice and minimize that much. Decided on the 4327 because of the angled kitchen. The large, full-width closet along the back wall and the extra three feet of basement space are big pluses. The 40" shower, versus the 50" in the 4369, is plenty roomy and comfortable. Customized it with a fireplace and cabinets by the TV. Have slept in it only two nights so far, but am really pleased with the decision.
Dahai, thanks for the input. If we do this you have the set up we we are leaning toward. What did you put on the passenger side across from the fireplace? What options and specials did you put on it. Is there anything you didn't put on it you wish you did. It looks like a great floor plan. Congratulations on your new coach. Any pictures would be great!!

Thanks, Lundman
Lundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:02 PM   #18

When considering moving up from the 37' be sure to drive a 43' first. We were looking at the 37' DS and after driving one I thought it was a real rocket with the 450 HP. The 37' just didn't have enough room in the bed room so we went with the 40'. On the 4 hour drive home from the dealership just couldn't believe what a dog. Thought sure something was wrong with the engine but have read other disappointments on the Forum about the 450 HP performance in the longer coaches.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:46 PM   #19

Sorry you're not satisfied, Wagonmaster. Our '13 DSDP 4347 disappointed me at first, both in mileage and performance. A trip to a Cummins shop with a dyno showed that all was within specs. As time went on, we realized that the 8,000+ pound 3/4 ton Duramax truck we were towing may have had some effect on performance! A change to a lighter tow vehicle together with a few additional miles on the engine have resulted in documented mpg average of 9.2, and an appreciation for more than adequate performance. I must say that I needed to learn how to drive the rig, keeping in mind the gearing, rpms, and anticipating developing issues as far ahead as possible, but after 50k miles, it's cake. Love this rig!
Calpop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
When considering moving up from the 37' be sure to drive a 43' first. We were looking at the 37' DS and after driving one I thought it was a real rocket with the 450 HP. The 37' just didn't have enough room in the bed room so we went with the 40'. On the 4 hour drive home from the dealership just couldn't believe what a dog. Thought sure something was wrong with the engine but have read other disappointments on the Forum about the 450 HP performance in the longer coaches.
My 37 has a lot of power. It takes a steep grade to make it down shift. I average in the low 8s for mpg. For all you 43’ Dutch star owners how’s the power and mpg on your rig? I also heard a rumor on this sight that Newmar was going to up the power to 480hp on the 2019 DS which unless they go to the next bigger block doesn’t do a whole lot . Any truth to that?

Thanks , Lundman
Old 11-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kortan01 View Post
Sorry you're not satisfied, Wagonmaster. Our '13 DSDP 4347 disappointed me at first, both in mileage and performance. A trip to a Cummins shop with a dyno showed that all was within specs. As time went on, we realized that the 8,000+ pound 3/4 ton Duramax truck we were towing may have had some effect on performance! A change to a lighter tow vehicle together with a few additional miles on the engine have resulted in documented mpg average of 9.2, and an appreciation for more than adequate performance. I must say that I needed to learn how to drive the rig, keeping in mind the gearing, rpms, and anticipating developing issues as far ahead as possible, but after 50k miles, it's cake. Love this rig!
That’s really great milage. How fast do you usually drive. I try to keep it at around 65 mph. What are you towing now?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2017, 12:41 AM   #22

I use the tach more than the speedometer and keep the rpms as close to 1580 as I can. Generally that's about 60-65. Cummins turned me on to that as well as advising me to let the Allison transmission shift for itself most of the time, because it's smarter than I am! I've been anal since the fuel fun of the '70’s about keeping fuel logs on our vehicles and can honestly say that our '13 DSDP has gotten as high as 10.6 mpg! Think midwest with a tailwind...I almost hate to sell her, but the new ones are very tempting!
Re: tow car. We have towed a Jeep Cherokee since we bought it new in late '13 as a '14 model. It weighs 4016 lbs and is on the “Sell it Now” list because we weakened and bought a new diesel Equinox (what are we thinking?) In any case, the point is to take advantage of the few tools we have available to us, and then relax and ehjoy the ride!
Old 11-18-2017, 07:56 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kortan01 View Post
I use the tach more than the speedometer and keep the rpms as close to 1580 as I can. Generally that's about 60-65. Cummins turned me on to that as well as advising me to let the Allison transmission shift for itself most of the time, because it's smarter than I am! I've been anal since the fuel fun of the '70’s about keeping fuel logs on our vehicles and can honestly say that our '13 DSDP has gotten as high as 10.6 mpg! Think midwest with a tailwind...I almost hate to sell her, but the new ones are very tempting!
Re: tow car. We have towed a Jeep Cherokee since we bought it new in late '13 as a '14 model. It weighs 4016 lbs and is on the “Sell it Now” list because we weakened and bought a new diesel Equinox (what are we thinking?) In any case, the point is to take advantage of the few tools we have available to us, and then relax and ehjoy the ride!
That’s interesting. We have been thinking of a GMC diesel Terrain. Does The Equinox work well towing. How do you like it so far? What’s your mpg on it so far? I try to drive for mileage also. Will have to try the rpms st 1580. Thanks for the input. Still looking for the more room in the 43 footers. Looking hard at the 4327.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:39 AM   #24

Just recently got the Equinox. We wanted to buy a GMC, but couldn't make it happen. We haven't towed the 'Nox yet, but the mileage with the diesel has been running about 34 here in the foothills of the Sierra's in NorCal. Our Jeep averaged 24, so we're a little better, and the power and performance of the diesel has been equal to the V6 in the Jeep. The Equinox threads here have some great info and helpful posts.
Regarding your OP: in my opinion you won't be sorry if you get the floor plan that suits you, regardless of length of the unit. At some point, they are all too small on the inside, and too large on the outside!
Old 11-19-2017, 11:03 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundman View Post
Dahai, thanks for the input. If we do this you have the set up we we are leaning toward. What did you put on the passenger side across from the fireplace? What options and specials did you put on it. Is there anything you didn't put on it you wish you did. It looks like a great floor plan. Congratulations on your new coach. Any pictures would be great!!

Thanks, Lundman
The fireplace and cabinets are on the passenger side where the TV lifts up. On the drivers side opposite the TV, I had them omit the large sofa and just give me an empty space. Planning to bring my La-Z-Boy, two end tables and a large table lamp from home to give it more of a living room feel. Got the desk/dinette option with free standing chairs and pull-out table. I'll have that area set up almost exclusively as a desk with the computer, router, printer, etc.

Selected the all-electric option with induction cooktop, residential refrigerator and hydronic heating/hot water. Washer & dryer, dishwasher, electric heated floor and three A/Cs which included an energy management system and a larger generator. Queen bed option which provides more floor space and ease of movement around the bed and includes night stands on each side near the head. Winegard Trav'ler SK300 dish, Wifi Ranger, Girard awning package, stainless steel exterior trim, remote controlled basement door locks, basement storage trays. Some other smaller options.

Newmar is pretty good at allowing quite a few customizations. Submitted a 2-page list of special requests, some of which were denied without explanation. Main items which they approved were custom exterior paint, a King Aire wood plank-look porcelain tile floor, Essex horizontal fabric valances on the windows, Essex wallboard, King Aire countertops in the kitchen and bathrooms, additional 12v/USB outlets on the dash and numerous additional 120v/USB outlets throughout the coach, an HDMI port in the living room run to the TV, Cat6 networking cables from the desk area to the audio/video cabinet above the the TV, a GE Advantium oven in lieu of the standard Whirlpool, outside outlet for a satellite dish tripod setup, all 120v outlets connected to the inverter, and AGM batteries.

I only have a few pictures which a friend took on delivery day at the dealership. Haven't taken any of my own. Sorry but I couldn't get them to load right side up.

Good luck with your decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Joel 4.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	674.0 KB
ID:	183378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Joel 5.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	183379  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Joel 1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	183380  
Dahai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahai View Post
The fireplace and cabinets are on the passenger side where the TV lifts up. On the drivers side opposite the TV, I had them omit the large sofa and just give me an empty space. Planning to bring my La-Z-Boy, two end tables and a large table lamp from home to give it more of a living room feel. Got the desk/dinette option with free standing chairs and pull-out table. I'll have that area set up almost exclusively as a desk with the computer, router, printer, etc.

Selected the all-electric option with induction cooktop, residential refrigerator and hydronic heating/hot water. Washer & dryer, dishwasher, electric heated floor and three A/Cs which included an energy management system and a larger generator. Queen bed option which provides more floor space and ease of movement around the bed and includes night stands on each side near the head. Winegard Trav'ler SK300 dish, Wifi Ranger, Girard awning package, stainless steel exterior trim, remote controlled basement door locks, basement storage trays. Some other smaller options.

Newmar is pretty good at allowing quite a few customizations. Submitted a 2-page list of special requests, some of which were denied without explanation. Main items which they approved were custom exterior paint, a King Aire wood plank-look porcelain tile floor, Essex horizontal fabric valances on the windows, Essex wallboard, King Aire countertops in the kitchen and bathrooms, additional 12v/USB outlets on the dash and numerous additional 120v/USB outlets throughout the coach, an HDMI port in the living room run to the TV, Cat6 networking cables from the desk area to the audio/video cabinet above the the TV, a GE Advantium oven in lieu of the standard Whirlpool, outside outlet for a satellite dish tripod setup, all 120v outlets connected to the inverter, and AGM batteries.

I only have a few pictures which a friend took on delivery day at the dealership. Haven't taken any of my own. Sorry but I couldn't get them to load right side up.

Good luck with your decision.
Dahai, thanks for all the info and the pictures. It looks like an awesome coach. I like the fireplace and cabinet addition on the passenger side, and the plank floor looks really nice!! We are considering waiting to order a 2019 as delivery time would only be a couple of months more. We are pretty well set on the 4327 unless they come out with something we like better in 2019.

Enjoy your new coach
Old 11-21-2017, 12:08 AM   #27

Not Newmar specific, but if your State has license restrictions based on length, then that could be a consideration.
As an example, here in California, anything over 40' 0" requires a Class B non-commercial drivers license. Not a huge deal, but requires a driving/safety equipment test as well as a physical signed off by a doctor every 2 years.
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:53 AM   #28

Spartan Chassis
43 way to go!

We got our 4369 this last June! (two year process) Started out looking at used 35-37 units. My goal was to get one rv and be done! So started asking all the people with a 37-38 ft why they were selling and moving up in size/space was the reason. We decided to move up and avoid the buy and trade up (save time and money in the end) - so glad we did. 57 nights in the rv so far and we love it for all the reasons mentioned above. Doing what feels right is the best reason - as mentioned above. So glad we ordered ours last winter - almost waited to this year....the wait would have been a lot longer. Good luck!

It gives us room to take other couples and family members along and not be crowded!

https://www.glroadtrips.com
glester99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star