RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
This makes no sense. Anyone else hooked up like this?

My KSDP has a fairly nice set of surround speakers that sound pretty good when a DVD is being played. I also have a decent in-dash radio/stereo system that holds up to six CDs. However, the in-dash unit is hooked up to a couple of woefully inadequate speakers mounted in the overhead cab bins that can't be any more than 2 inches in diameter. The sound is awful and certainly no match for the radio/CD unit itself.

Is this typical? If it is, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Well, I can't speak to the quality of the various speakers used, but it's normal to have different speakers for the dash radio and the DVD system. Otherwise if you had them both on at the same time you'd blow out the speakers.

joe

Old 09-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The first thing i do when i buy a motorhome is change out the crappy speakers.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have change out all my speakers on three coach's.
Newmar has not really been into the electronics over the years I have known them.
Its difficult to have them understand a special wiring arrangement for electronics.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #5

If the speakers are indeed only 2", they are probably only tweeters. I don't think that anyone supplies a full range speaker smaller than 5-1/4" these days.

If you want to test the ability of the dash 'Head Unit" to produce good sound, attach a decent set of home theater or home stereo speakers to it. If it sounds good and gives you good volume without excessive distortion, then it will pay to buy some decent speakers.

Crutchfield.com is a good source for mobile sound parts and advice.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
On the Essex they use 2 sets of cheap computer speakers in the overhead cabinet. One set for the in dash radio and one set for the rear speakers of the surround sound. The rear surround speakers are not that critical but using the those speakers for the radio makes the system sound bad.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Suggestion, take your MH to a stereo shop after you run 3 or 4 strans of coax cable from the front to the rear. They can hook everything up to your surround sound speakers.

Just did that myself and they have my dash radio, tv, DVD, & 6 CD player all on the same speakers. I'm hard of hearing and this works great for me. DW hates it because I have the sound up so loud.

Dave
Old 09-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I replaced the dash system in our KGDB a couple years ago. Changed out the Sony in-dash system for a Kenwood DNX-6960, replaced the two cheap computer speakers with a pair of Boston Acoustics CS23 speakers, and added a Kenwood KSC-SW10 150W Compact Powered Subwoofer as well. Sounds MUCH better.

I really should change out the speakers for the main surround system too, but I can't figure out how to do a real center speaker the way our TV is mounted. I'll probably tackle that next year when we swap the 52" TV for 57" that's actually smaller and weighs less.

joe
Old 09-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #9

OK, how do you get the front overhead speakers out of an Essex? I think you have to pry the grills off. I'm not sure, but they sound like crap. Would like to change them.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
If the Essex cabinets are anything like the King Aire ones, those grill panels are just held on by spring clips. They come off pretty easy.

joe
Old 09-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #11

I think mine are siliconed on.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
My, uh... monaco, has a switch, to select if the dash radio or the home theater are going thru the 5.1 speaker system.

I had a stereo store put some decent speakers, pointing down, in the cabinet over the windshield. That way I can listen to the satelite radio while the kids watch movies. Coach is a front kitchen, the tv and main surround sound speakers are in the back of the salon, so it all works pretty well.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #13

I just piched the factory Jenson POS stereo and 2" speakers. Took a little trimming to add a Pipneer double din flat screen with XM radio and a hitch level camera. I replaced the factory speakers with Memphis 4X10s which really improved the sound quality. They fit behind the Newmar cloth grills with some minor trimming. I used Memphis for several years in high end car audio systems, think multiple amps, bi amping lots of BIG subs etc. Never blew one up.

teamwally is offline   Reply With Quote