Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2015, 06:26 PM   #1

Thought I was done...

Finished installing flooring and carpet as well as new sofa and dinette booth. Below are some pics...only have one 'before' shot regarding the furniture. Anyway, you may have seen some of this in previous threads regarding my trials with the flooring and shop4seats order for the furniture.

Now, back to thinking I was done....turns out DW didn't like the window treatments after updating the flooring and furniture so...out they went. Thinking of replacing all with wood blinds instead of all the cornices...or whatever they're called. She also doesn't like the staining of the quarter round so removal, restain and reinstall is in my very near future there as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	109955   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-3.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	109956  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	109957  
Attached Images

Roscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #2

That turned out beautifully! Love the color palette...that is DW speak for "great colors!" Super job!!!! Looks like a brand new coach.

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636, Cummins ISB
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #3

You do nice work!
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
You do nice work!
I must confess, I ripped out most of the flooring myself and repaired any damaged areas...had an issue with one spot that I let the professionals handle...I installed the carpet but let the pros do the flooring, though I did help carry it in.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Roscott

Did you have the Dutch Star painted?

We have peeling clear coat and the decals are looking like they need to be repalced. I am thinking that I might like to recondition our 2000 Dutch Star rather than upgrading to a newer coach and having the potential to have to deal with someone else's problems.

However, when I see all the hardware that should be removed to have a good paint job, I wounder if anyone would give me the type of full body paint job that I would be satisfied with.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I was at Newmar in 2004 someone was there with a 2000 or so DSDP that had been repainted with the new designs by Newmar. Really looked nice and I had to do a double take to figure out what was different about it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
Roscott

Did you have the Dutch Star painted?

We have peeling clear coat and the decals are looking like they need to be repalced. I am thinking that I might like to recondition our 2000 Dutch Star rather than upgrading to a newer coach and having the potential to have to deal with someone else's problems.

However, when I see all the hardware that should be removed to have a good paint job, I wounder if anyone would give me the type of full body paint job that I would be satisfied with.
It was painted about 5 years ago by the original owner. This is one of the reasons I bought it...that and the original owner was very meticulous about caring for the mechanics of the rig. It does look good, but there are areas where the paint is peeling a little bit...especially at the seams for the front cap. I'm going to see if I can get away with using some colored caulk to 'rectify' that. I have some clear coat peeling on the roof edges but should be able to wet sand and repaint with some clear coat as a suitable fix. The only other issue is the checking of the fiberglass, which has been thoroughly covered in these forums, showing through...mostly on driver side in the darker areas.

Oh, I did find the receipt for the paint job as I was looking over all of the records that came with the coach....over $22K ...and I have the left over paint.

When painted, the original owner did not have any of the badging replaced so there is nothing indicating brand or model. Well, I used to have the rock guard with a very nice chrome 'NEWMAR' across it, but that didn't last long!
Old 10-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Mr. D,

Yes, I have seen one at one of our Newmar group rallies that was repainted with full body paint and I didn't believe it was a 2000 Dutch Star just like mine, but sure didn't look like mine. He had it painted several years ago and I think at that time it was about a $10,000 paint job.

Thanks, Roscott.

I have heard the if one of the quality coach painters in Elkhart does the job it will run in the $20,000 range. But, that is less than the $150,000 that I would have to pay for a 2008 Dutch Star with Comfort Drive (which is what I would want). Maybe I should forget Comfort Drive and just upgrade to something like a 3-slide 2005 DS. The only thing that we really need is a little more room in the bedroom. I get tired of shuffling sideways to get around the bed. Other than the bedroom, our 2000 DS does pretty much everything we need since we don't full-time in it and won't with a sticks-and-bricks in Spokane and a park model in Yuma. Of course, I do envy an engine with a 2-stage engine brake rather than the exhaust brake.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:08 PM   #9

Nice job Roscott, looks comfy but I gotta ask, did you move the TV to complete the circle? I tried to take this on myself but I'm a nuts and bolts guy. Me and wood don't compute. Well done.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Awesome job. Hope you are taking time to enjoy it!
Old 10-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Nice job Roscott, looks comfy but I gotta ask, did you move the TV to complete the circle? I tried to take this on myself but I'm a nuts and bolts guy. Me and wood don't compute. Well done.
No Dennis, didn't move the TV. To be honest, I'm fine with where it's at for the time being. The original TV compartment above the dash has been 'shaved' to about half the original depth and it doesn't stick out near as much...and the original TV has been replaced with an LCD on an articulating mount.