RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #1

Thump or thud?

We moved in the MA on the 1st of May. We have had a concern of a sometimes lesser pop to a what I would call a loud thud and gives the coach a shake. When we were still in bed this morning laying still it happened again and it almost seemed as though someone slammed the front door. During the day yesterday it was milder and seemed like a pop as when the Progressive EMS would either kick on or off. I checked it for codes and also for disruptions in our power and all is fine. I checked the slide trays and they are all locked as that was a thought that when we walk around they could be hitting on a door but they were all locked. I checked the hydraulic fluid and it appeared to be fine as that was my last guess that a leveler was releasing pressure. One of the manual releases for the jacks was corroded and the others were all clean. I don't know if that could have anything to do with it. Any ideas would be great as I am feeling stumped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1131.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	245597  

oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
You might see it the solenoid valve (what is pictured) is letting that jack bleed down, and you are hearing the coach pop due to stress. Follow procedure to pull in slides, air coach up, raise jacks, like getting ready for road. Then follow procedure for setting up in spot, slides, jacks, air down. You can take measurements with ruler of each point/corner, and then after big pop, go out and check the measurements again (write down original numbers, i.e., LF, RF, LR, RR), put down small pieces of wood to know same spot for checks. This then will give you some idea of what is going on. Those valves are very heavily built, surface rust would not affect it's working, but it might be getting into the electrical part of it, and that would. HWH (assumed) will sell you new one, but it's a process to change it out, special O-rings which have sensitive touch to install. Plus a necessary tool to tighten those into place, not just any wrench will work. I got the tool in my RV, but, it's in OR and I'm in GA. Have lots of HWH parts going to sell, as I don't think I will need them, but going to wait until I know for sure. Post remedy once you have it narrowed down.

Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #3

Just guessing. Your description sounds like it may have something to do with the hydraulic jacks as you suspect. The noise and the shaking/movement of the coach is what prompted my guess, along with the corrosion visible on the manual valve. It's almost like one jack is briefly losing pressure which causes it to retract very slightly under the weight of the coach, but then stops. Is it possible to put a piece of masking tape on each jack rod, very close to the top where it goes into the cover. Then, after you experience the event, check each rod to see if it has retracted in the lightest. There's not much else that makes sense to me that would cause the noise and the shaking.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #4

Old-RVer: I had already reset the levelers before I saw your reply. I have been away from the coach all day but I am waiting to see if I hear/feel any of the noises that occurred the past few days. I will measure if it continues to see if that is what's going on.

Ljwt330: That was my concern that it was losing pressure and retracting ever so little. I hope that isn't the case but if so it will get to visit the shop.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #5

Is it normal to see that much rust on such a new unit? Is the MA a 2017?
GonetoRaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thump or thud?

Following closely. I have the same noise and your description is exactly how I would describe it. I have it on my list of warranty items for our 6/3/19 Nappanee appointment.
Soniccruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #7

I too have had this exact same issue. Figured it was one of my Jack's bleeding off. Have not found the problem but has not happened lately either. Will be staying tuned also if someone figures out the problem.
Vacationfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonetoRaces View Post
Is it normal to see that much rust on such a new unit? Is the MA a 2017?
It is a 2017. The rust for some reason was just on the one valve. The coach was in PA I believe with the first owner and possibly they salt the roads there. That's my guess on that.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:08 PM   #9

So yesterday I leveled the coach again. I noticed that one of the jack pads I hadn't got centered well and I appeared to have caused a dip in the asphalt surface. I am thinking that the asphalt would give a tiny bit causing the coach to move slightly. Since leveling and getting the jack pad centered it hasn't made anymore noises or jolts. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soniccruzer View Post
Following closely. I have the same noise and your description is exactly how I would describe it. I have it on my list of warranty items for our 6/3/19 Nappanee appointment.

Did you get the problem worked out at Newmar? If so what was it? I've had this problem in the past and am out with my coach now. Have set up twice and it's happening again. Thanks.
Vacationfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Using a Newmar search these results are from previous owners and what might be a solution, Newmar search is explained in this link.
When you checked the fluid in jack reservoir you did it with all the jacks up and you have not seen any jack fluid leaks in lower compartments near FWS if you have one, with FWS closed.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote