Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
We had a 2008 Tiffin 42' Phaeton tag for over three years and 34,000 miles. Even with that lowly ISC 360 it went to the Pacific and back twice and from the Canadian border to the Gulf many times, always towing a Grand Cherokee and never having to apologize to anyone. We loved it (check out our posts on here and on the Tiffin forum). Was it the best built? No. Is Tiffin service legendary? Yes. But only if you want to go to Red Bay Alabama to get it! Their dealer network is almost non*existent and their quality control is out of control so you wind up going often. Go visit the Tiffin forum and see for yourself. Our Revolution is, in our opinion, far superior to the old, and current Phaetons and at least on par with the Bus, maybe even the Zephyr (bang for buck). If I was shopping for the coaches you are discussing I would definately consider, and most likely buy, the 2011 Fleetwood 42' Providence. Same everything as our Revolution for lots less money (they only built a few) - chassis, motor, rad, features, everything. Our Dealer has two he wants out of to make room for 2012's if you're interested. Go check them out using the respective websites. If we had liked the floorplan it's what we would be driving today, trust me.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #44
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Don't forget the Comfort Drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCSONRAIL View Post
If you have the money, I would definitely go with the Dutchstar for the engine and side radiator, IFS, and all the upgrades.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've had a Spartan Mountain Master 42' chassis and now a Spartan Liberty 42' chassis. If my coach won't go down the road at 65 mph in a perfectly straight line, go around curves without leaving the lines, handle any road conditions thrown at it without wimpering, and still drive like a dream, then it's broken, period. Why does Newmar need that stuff? I've driven several Newmars and a/ don't find any difference with their steering stuff and b/ don't understand why they need it at all? Somebody help me here.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coached View Post
I've had a Spartan Mountain Master 42' chassis and now a Spartan Liberty 42' chassis. If my coach won't go down the road at 65 mph in a perfectly straight line, go around curves without leaving the lines, handle any road conditions thrown at it without wimpering, and still drive like a dream, then it's broken, period. Why does Newmar need that stuff? I've driven several Newmars and a/ don't find any difference with their steering stuff and b/ don't understand why they need it at all? Somebody help me here.
I owned an American Tradition 40' on a Spartan chassis and now have a Dutch Aire 40' on Spartan. You are right - the Spartan works just fine in either coach, but..... In a high crosswind, the Comfort Steer comes into it's own and allows the coach to track straight without any compensation needed from the driver.
dougburi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coached View Post

You can't miss what you don't have. You need to put at least 100 miles behind the wheel of comfort steer to appreciate it. When I first got out coach I did not like comfort steer until I put some miles on it. Long story short we were traveling with a 04 DS and I was noticing how they were fighting a cross wind that I did not know existed.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #48

We have a 2000 MADP so alot of the features you've mentioned are way newer than our coach. I see the comfort drive mentioned alot as well as aqua hot. We are going to be looking to trade for a newer coach sometime in the future and will definitely stick with Newmar. What features are standard and which are optional say on a 2007 Mountain Aire or newer? Which ones are must haves? And can someone explain to me what aqua hot is?
Thanks.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanjeep
We have a 2000 MADP so alot of the features you've mentioned are way newer than our coach. I see the comfort drive mentioned alot as well as aqua hot. We are going to be looking to trade for a newer coach sometime in the future and will definitely stick with Newmar. What features are standard and which are optional say on a 2007 Mountain Aire or newer? Which ones are must haves? And can someone explain to me what aqua hot is?
Thanks.
Also what are the differences between the Dutch Star and the Mountain Aire in the 2007 and later models?
Thanks again.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dean if you look at anyone of the new models you will find all the standards that come with coach your interested in and the options that applied also.
Comfort Drive came out in 2008 and Aqua Hot has been around back in 2000's.
There are threads on the Aqua Systems in Quick Tips explaining how they work..
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #51
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
In 2007, Comfort Drive was standard in the MADP and above. I'm not sure if CD started in 2006.

In 2008, CD was standard in all diesels.

Now, CD is standard in Ventana and above, but not the Ventana LE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanjeep View Post
Also what are the differences between the Dutch Star and the Mountain Aire in the 2007 and later models?
Thanks again.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #52

Can you add c. Drive to and older unit? 05 KS3354 dp
Old 12-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnicol
Can you add c. Drive to and older unit? 05 KS3354 dp
Would think that would be very difficult, think there is a thread on that somewhere.
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For a description of Comfort Drive and how it works take a look at TRW's website--http://www.trw.com/sub_system/column_drive

With all Newmar products being built on the same line I believe the quality of the Dutch Star and Ventana are both very good. The Dutch Star comes standard with Higher "R" factor insulation in the roof and the OASIS heating system-- both can be added to the Ventana. The Dutch Star has different pilot and co-pilot seats that we found to be very comfortable. Also available on the Dutch Star was solid wood cabinets. We also were able to upgrade the interior lights from to LED ( significantly cooler in the summer than the Halogen’s). Most importantly the Dutch Star has 400 or 450HP, 1025 foot pound of torque, side radiator, and independent front suspension. Both the Dutch Star and Ventana have a very respectable Net Carrying Capacity (NCC).

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
For a description of Comfort Drive and how it works take a look at TRW's website--http://www.trw.com/sub_system/column_drive

With all Newmar products being built on the same line I believe the quality of the Dutch Star and Ventana are both very good. The Dutch Star comes standard with Higher "R" factor insulation in the roof and the OASIS heating system-- both can be added to the Ventana. The Dutch Star has different pilot and co-pilot seats that we found to be very comfortable. Also available on the Dutch Star was solid wood cabinets. We also were able to upgrade the interior lights from to LED ( significantly cooler in the summer than the Halogen’s). Most importantly the Dutch Star has 400 or 450HP, 1025 foot pound of torque, side radiator, and independent front suspension. Both the Dutch Star and Ventana have a very respectable Net Carrying Capacity (NCC).

Mike
I beleive the Dutch Star has 1250 foot pounds of torgue, I'm guessing you just made a little typo error, which I can easily do myself
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:45 AM   #56

I know everybody wants NEW but for those new prices you could get a good '08 Essex with all the bugs run out and three years down the road it will be worth about the same . Whats a 2-3 year old DS of Vent going for. What scares me is the first year running back and forth to get repairs done. Plus the sales tax OH MY GOD!!!

Plus no DPF.You won't have to spend most of the time on the side of the road regenerating.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote