Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2010, 06:39 AM   #1

Time for tires?/Michelin vs. Goodyear

I have a 2005 MADP 4304 fitted with Michelin Pilote X2 295/80R (22.5). The coach has approximately 34,000 miles. Tires were manufactured in mid-2004. The coach is used approximately once per month, and is otherwise garage kept. Tire pressures have always been meticulously maintained.
All tires look in good condition, except the fronts have very minimal sidewall cracking around the rim area only.
So, I have always heard that RV'ers should replace their tires after 6 years, regardless of mileage. I have read numerous articles on this issue, as well as technical information from Michelin. I have gleaned that the 5-6 year replacement interval may be extended if the coach is stored indoors.
Question #1? Should I postpone replacing the tires? I plan to keep the coach another 2 years, at least.
Now, to resurrect the ongoing debate:
Replacement Michelins can be had for about $6600, maybe a little less, from a location nearby. Replacement Goodyears can be had for about $4400 from Camping World. My local tire guy (who bid Michelins but can also sell Goodyears) says that while the Goodyears are good tires, he has received more complaints about ride quality on the Goodyears.
I had the Goodyears on a gas coach a few years ago, and they were fine.
Has anyone made the replaced Michelins with Goodyears, and with what results? I don't want to spend an additional $2200, but I will if I have to to get the best ride.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi 927palmetto,
Based on your OP information, for me, I'd keep riding on the tires you have. Several years ago (06 I think) Michelin went to a 10 year replacement guideline (with qualifications). Consider calling Michelin (800-847-3435). Ask them for the book MWL43146. This is the Michelin RV Tire book. Page 1 has the longevity recommendations. Also ask them to send you MYT41792 This is the Michelin Retread Technologies Ozone Scale chart. The chart has pictures of 5 different sidewall cracking situations. One can put the chart next to a tire and see where the tire cracks are on the chart. I also take care of my tires meticulously. I will be looking to replace my tires when the tread wears out or there are side wall cracks matching the replacements crack picture on the chart or they reach the ten year replacement guideline. No flames please. I am very comfortable with this and the process I follow.

As to the ride of one brand vs another. I have had only Michelin tires since 1965 (coaches and cars). On this topic that is the only comment I can make.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #3

With todays tire technology most any brand tire that meets the size and load requirements for your situation will provide excellent service and reliability. Examples are Toyo, Yokohamo, Bridgestone, Firestone, Khumo, ect. After researching several brands and looking a price comparisons I recently replaced my 7 year old 295-80 Michelins with Yokohamo RY-023 with load range H (16 ply) size 11R22.5s'. The RY-023 is an highway all-position tire and is a direct replacement for Michelin XZA/XZE tires. Amongst other things tese tires carry a 6 year warantee on side wall cracking.

Total out the door price for 4 was just under $2800. This included new stems, balancing, FEX and sales tax. The 11R22.5's are 1/4 inch smaller diameter than the 295-80's resulting in 504 revolutions per mile vs 501. The 11R's have a 6600 lb single and 6000 lb dual capacity which is slightly less than the Michelins, but is still way above the weight limits and loading of my rig. This 4000 pounds more capacity than the rear axle spec and in single is 2000 pounds more than I need for the front axle.

I now have just over 10000 miles on these tires and I am very happy with them. Bottom line from my research I discovered there are numerous tires that will cost you considerable less than paying for the brand name Michelin and Goodyears and will be every bit as reliabled.

Finally, check prices at truck tire dealers and truck stop locations. You will find the prices for services like tires and oil changes at truck service locations will most likely be significantly less than the speciality RV shops. It is possible they may need to order the tires which will take a week or so, but most likely the speciality RV shops will also need to order the tires.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Michilin tire guide.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/asset...V_Brochure.pdf
Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
The Michelin sidewall cracking chart is at Michelin Sidewall Cracking Chart - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery The upload came out quite good.
One should be able to use the chart and compare their tires to it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
927palmetto,

If you decide to buy new tires, I would recommend that you shop that Michelin price around. You should be able to beat that current price by a substantail amount. I would think you should be able to knock another $1000 (maybe more) off that quote.

I have no knowledge of the Goodyear tire price, so I don't know if that is a good price or not.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #7

Thanks to all for insightful advice. I did shop the original quotes...I couldn't beat the Camping World price for Goodyears, but I did beat the Michelin quote by about $1100. The price difference between the Goodyears and Michelins is now about $1200.
I still haven't decided if I am going to spend the extra money.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Both brands fall in the 6 of one, half dozen of the other category. People who like Michelins and who have had no problem swear by them. People who hate Michelins and who have had problems, swear at them. The same is true for Goodyears. Michelins have "zipper blowouts". Goodyears "River". The Goodyears are a little harder ride but get better mileage.

Your main concern in todays down market is to get tires with good dating. It may actually be difficult to get good dating in many parts of the country. Tire Dealers are currently selling tires with 3 year old dating. Make sure you spec your dating as part of your purchase.

Goodyear currently has a $30.00/tire rebate. See link below.

On The Wings of Goodyear | RV Tires - Promotions
Old 01-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Get a price on Michelins from Costco
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sticky needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
This is such a recurring topic over and over again... Can we get a sticky for it?
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Unisteel® G670 RV®

HELPS PROVIDE SUPERB PERFORMANCE AND HANDLING

The Goodyear Unisteel® G670 RV® has technology that helps guard against the effects of ozone and UV rays.

Anti-oxidant and anti-ozonant compounds throughout the tire help protect against weather cracking. In fact, the G670 RV is so effective, it’s backed by a 4-Year Limited Warranty.*
- FeaturesAnti-oxidant and anti-ozonant compounds help guard against weather cracking
- Rubber compounds enhance traction and improve treadwear
- Circumferential grooves enhance wet tractionHigh-technology belt system enhances ride
- Tread pattern produces lower heat, enhanced strength and reduces squirm for enhanced handling
- Fuel-efficient casing helps to increase fuel economy
Old 01-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
The best prevention for tire dry-out and cracking is using them. Sitting and sitting and sitting is the tire killer.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'll add to the Quick-Tips sticky under Michelin Tires.
I have 7 yr tires this June after looking at GaryKD charts will stick it out a couple more years, mine look better than charts and would change to Michelin's like I have on all my Newmars.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:42 AM   #14

By all means, please include Bridgestone in your list of tires to consider as well.