Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #1

Time in the shop: how much is too much (and should Newmar compensate us)?

I love my RV. I really, really love it. When I actually have it we use it probably every-other weekend, sometimes every weekend. We also do multi-week trips. I spent a big chunk of money for a great brand (Newmar) and I intend to use my RV. If we don't use it's just wasted money.

I paid cash for my RV, but I pay $450/mo to store it (indoor storage), about $2k/year to register it and another $2k/year to insure it. If you look at it that way, before you even calculate in depreciation, consumables (fuel, brakes, tires, etc.) or non-warranty upkeep I'm spending $700-800/mo on my RV that I own outright.

That's a big chunk, but I'm 100% okay with it if I get to use it and it works as expected.

However, I've had the RV just under 14 months now, and it's spent something like 5-6 of those months in the shop. To add insult to injury it's stored outdoors at the repair facility, so I'm paying $450/mo for indoor storage while my RV sits outside and gets scratched up (I've noticed new scratches after every visit).

I've had it in for the same issues repeatedly, and many of them still aren't resolved (Full Wall Slide creeping out while driving, for example).

When is enough, enough? Do Lemon Law rules apply to RVs? I'm really beyond frustrated, and I've even written Newmar with very little help or satisfaction.

Is it reasonable to spend ~350k (after TTL) on an RV and then rarely be able to use it? What does Newmar expect that people do when their RV is unavalable for months on end? We are obviously not provided a loaner.

Sorry, I just feel like I'm and needed to vent I suppose. Has anybody else had a similar experience?

-TJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 04:26 PM   #2

Lemon laws are state specific so depends where you live and perhaps bought. Have you considered taking it back to the factory for service?

ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:29 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I was handed the Florida lemon law brochure when I picked up my coach in Florida last week. If they can’t fix it on the third try you get your money back, sales tax and all. That’s the law in Maine as well. 3 times and they’re out.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Lemon laws are state specific so depends where you live and perhaps bought. Have you considered taking it back to the factory for service?
I'm in CA, Lemon Law is pretty favorable to consumers here and it does appear to include RVs.

Being in CA taking it back to Indiana for repairs isn't reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
I was handed the Florida lemon law brochure when I picked up my coach in Florida last week. If they can’t fix it on the third try you get your money back, sales tax and all. That’s the law in Maine as well. 3 times and they’re out.
Do I Have A Lemon Law Case? - Douglas D. Law, Esq.

By CA standards I easily have a case. I successfully Lemon Law'ed a Lexus many years ago. It was a bit of a PITA, but worth it.

The problem is, I really do like my RV. I just wish I got to use it. Perhaps I need to contact a Lemon Law lawyer and begin the process for Newmar to realize I'm serious...

I thought Newmar was supposed to be a Christian company that cared about its customers. :(
Old 09-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #5

Specifically, what are these problems you are having? Are any of these "issues" related to the chassis or are they Newmar "house" related? The people doing the repairs, is this the dealership you purchased your Motorhome from? Maybe having a conversation with the RV facility, letting them know you're not pleased with the lengthy downtime might be a good place to start.

Gary, Maxwell and the Beanie Weenie.
2002 Newmar Kountry Star. Cummins ISB 24 valve
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:42 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjZ06 View Post
I'm in CA, Lemon Law is pretty favorable to consumers here and it does appear to include RVs.

Being in CA taking it back to Indiana for repairs isn't reasonable.

Do I Have A Lemon Law Case? - Douglas D. Law, Esq.

By CA standards I easily have a case. I successfully Lemon Law'ed a Lexus many years ago. It was a bit of a PITA, but worth it.

The problem is, I really do like my RV. I just wish I got to use it. Perhaps I need to contact a Lemon Law lawyer and begin the process for Newmar to realize I'm serious...

I thought Newmar was supposed to be a Christian company that cared about its customers. :(
When we did factory pickup in October 2017 there was a couple there getting their slide fixed. We went home for a month and came back for a one month follow up. They were still there. For some reason some of these problems are way too persistent. Newmar gets lot of kudos for their customer service but at times I think it’s undeserved.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #7

"Christian" company lol If you qualify for the lemon law I would use it.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Florida Lemon Law applies to the vehicle part of Motorhomes. It does not cover the living facilities of recreation vehicles.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #9

Take the coach to Newmar for repair. Most dealers don't know what they are doing.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Florida Lemon Law applies to the vehicle part of Motorhomes. It does not cover the living facilities of recreation vehicles.
Good to know. Thank you
Old 09-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebobk View Post
Take the coach to Newmar for repair. Most dealers don't know what they are doing.
Talked to them today. No openings until April. Until Newmar makes it mandatory for all Newmar dealers to do warrantee work on a coach regardless of where it was purchased, this will only get worse.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
Specifically, what are these problems you are having? Are any of these "issues" related to the chassis or are they Newmar "house" related? The people doing the repairs, is this the dealership you purchased your Motorhome from? Maybe having a conversation with the RV facility, letting them know you're not pleased with the lengthy downtime might be a good place to start.
Oh, it's a laundry list:
  • FWS deploying while driving
  • black tank odor
  • MCD shades not working
  • Exterior awnings (Girad package) separating from frames
  • Lots of trim that is falling off (worst offender is the 'escape hatch' door)
  • Extremely noisy step cover (deployed or retracted)
  • Extremely noisy frameless windows
  • Weatherstrip around inside of windows pulling out in the corners
  • Issues w/ HDMI switches causing Blu-ray not to work at times, outdoor TV inoperable at times
  • Drop-down hinge mechanism on bay doors failing
  • Persistent chassis battery drain
  • Flickering dash back-lights (with headlights on) - often I have no gauge lights at night
  • Comfort Drive intermittent - another safety concern when the way the coach reacts to steering input is ever-changing
  • And many, many more items I'm sure I'm forgetting

Quote:
When we did factory pickup in October 2017 there was a couple there getting their slide fixed. We went home for a month and came back for a one month follow up. They were still there. For some reason some of these problems are way too persistent. Newmar gets lot of kudos for their customer service but at times I think it’s undeserved.
Yeah, it makes me want to get this thing Lemon'ed and go to another brand. However, no other brand has the mix of features we need/want at this price point and coach size (we don't want to go beyond 40').

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
"Christian" company lol If you qualify for the lemon law I would use it.
Yeah, it's a joke. Here are some fun quotes from their website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar
“At Newmar, we believe taking care of business means taking care of our customers. We stand behind our work with dependable warranties, so you can enjoy extra confidence and protection. So if you take your Newmar RV on a cross-country vacation, on a multistate tour, or even if you just go over to your neighbor’s house to show it off a little, you’ll always travel with confidence.”

“The Newmar Difference can be seen through our dedication to impeccable craftsmanship, unrivaled innovation and superior customer service and support.”

“Our Guiding Principles
The principles that our founders imparted upon us are the same principles that guide us today. They are the same principles that will guide us always. To reach our mission, we will conduct all of our business activities with our customers, employees, suppliers and financial institutions under the Christian principles of:
• Courtesy
• Fairness
• Honesty
• Integrity
• Morality
• Reasonableness
• Reliability”
My experiences certainly don't reflect those "Christian principles".

-TJ
Old 09-20-2017, 05:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebobk View Post
I live ~2,200 miles from Newmar. Am I really expected to take a few weeks off work and put nearly 5,000 miles on my coach every time I need something fixed?

-TJ
Old 09-20-2017, 05:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjZ06 View Post
I live ~2,200 miles from Newmar. Am I really expected to take a few weeks off work and put nearly 5,000 miles on my coach every time I need something fixed?

-TJ
If you want it done right. My trip is only one day so it's easier. I've tried dealers. If you have NATIONAL INDOOR RV near you, they are better. It took me two years to get things worked out.

Tags
newmar