Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
tire chains

We are planning a trip from central Oregon to Palm Springs in early 2013. driving a 30 Newmar Baystar towing a VW bug. Do I need chains for the VW? Any recommendations? Thanks .
Jhhamner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #2

Motor home or travel trailer? I lived in Eagle Point for awhile and worked in SF. Once you are south of Shasta no need but you are better off to have them with you. And I'm saying the I-5.
bodean614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tire chains

We are planning our first trip from Central Oregon to Palm Springs in early 2013. We would like advise on the use of tire chains when towing our 2012 Baystar.
Jhhamner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hello, are you going to be towing your coach? or asking about the use of tire chains on the coach?
Old 10-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum & irv2.
If your towing the VW you may need them on the Bay Star.
You may have different snow where you are but out east in snow storms have never used chains on any of my coach's.
Been in Maine in blizzard conditions and never had a traction problem just went slow and easy.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We travel to Oregon from SoCal. As I understand the Oregon chain law - you have to have them with you. And install them if directed to do so - on the driven vehicle. Towed toad would not need them, unless you separated the toad and drove it independantly.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #7

oregon is probably the the most stickiest on the law. I pack a pair of cable chains just to make me legal. I would stop and park long before ever having to put them on
newmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oregon is a "carry chain" state no doubt. It's the law.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chain Law

Oregon's chain law applies to all highways throughout the state. When you drive in winter conditions, you may see signs telling you to carry chains or traction tires and when you are required to use them. In some areas, lighted message signs also will advise you about chaining up. Traction tires may be used in place of chains on vehicles rated at 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight or less and that are not towing or being towed.
Studded tires are legal in Oregon from November 1 through March 31. Because of the damage caused by studded tires, the Department of Transportation encourages motorists to use studded tires only when necessary. Delaying putting on studded tires or using other traction tires is helpful to the condition of the highways.
For placement of chains or traction tires go to Minimum Chain Requirements. For information on traction tires go to Traction Tires.
Signs

Lighted message signs or signs like these will be posted to let you know the current requirements for chains and traction tires:
You must have chains or traction tires in or on your vehicle and they must be the right size for your vehicle and of sufficient number to comply with the chain laws.
You must use chains if your vehicle is rated 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW) or less and is towing. You must use chains on any single drive axle vehicle rated over 10,000 pounds GVW. Chains must also be used on the trailer or vehicle being towed as described under Minimum Chain Requirements.
You must use chains if your vehicle is towing or rated more than 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW). Chains must also be used on a trailer or vehicle being towed if it has a brake that operates while in tow.
You must use chains if your vehicle is towing or is rated over 10,000 pounds GVW. Chains must also be used on a trailer or vehicle being towed if it has a brake that operates while in tow. If your vehicle is rated 10,000 pounds GVW or less and is not towing you must use chains or traction tires.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:04 AM   #10

Chains are for drive wheels, so the answer to your question is no (since your VW will be towed). However, the drive wheels on your rig......
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:06 AM   #11

Les Schwab Tire has a program to purchase a set of chains in a bag. They can be returned if not used.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #12

I pack a set of single drive cable type chains. Lite and easy to stow. If it were that bad i would un hook the toad and have the passenger drive it
newmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by soricobob View Post
Chains are for drive wheels, so the answer to your question is no (since your VW will be towed). However, the drive wheels on your rig......
Not according to what has been posted (see post #9), the VW would also have to have chains too, sometimes they will allow drag chains. The has to be something to keep the towed item from sliding and jackknifing in snow/ice.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #14

I am planning on driving an older Class B across Canada this winter, down to NY, on to Washington, DC, and back to Oregon. Good chance of terrible weather.

After a lot of research I decided upon General Altima Arctic tires without studs (they are rated as more effective without them). I contacted SCC regarding the best chains to carry. Here is their response. By the way, I regard chains on all 4 tires as necessary. I'm more comfortable knowing I can steer as well as move. I said I wanted traction, then durability and ease of installation. I will probably carry 3 pairs in case of breakage.

"I would suggest that you first read your owner's manual to see if you have any restrictions on the use of a winter traction product. If they recommend using a product that meets Class "S" clearance requirements you'll want to avoid traditional link chains as they don't meet this requirement. You would need to use one of "Z" style cables chains. Installing traction products on the front tires too is a very good idea as it will aid in steering and braking. But you’ll also want to check for clearance issues around the tires.

"If there are no restrictions then your choice could be based on a number of thing. Ease of installation, durability, "rideabilty" are key factors. You've obviously been to our web site. On the site we have number of comparisons and even installation videos.

"Personally I like the cable chains. Very easy to install, smooth riding and great traction. The products we have that will fit your 245/75-16 tires are our Super ZZT741 and Super Z6 SZ441. Both of these would provide excellent traction and are easy to install and very durable. They’re available locally at NAPA Auto Parts, Discount/America’s Tire Stores. Fred Meyer is only carrying the ZT741 style."

Best regards,

Keith, SCC
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote