Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
I figured out why my tire was damaged - even before I talked to Freightliner. My tag never dumped the air, even when I was backing up. At the RV storage facility I need to make some very sharp turns to get into our assigned space. With the tag bag fully inflated, the tag and tire were dragging badly.

I never understood that stupid switch on the 2016 DSDPs. In a thread here in the Newmar forum someone asked about the proper settings for the tag. That's what got my attention. I now have it set, so that the tag dumps the air when in reverse, but not during slow forward movement - mainly because the tag steers when moving forward.

Thanks to everyone for helping me understand what was going on.

Ok, so how do you set it to dump in reverse but not when going forward slowly? From what I read if you set it to dump in reverse it also dumps when going below 8 mph. Or did I read it incorrectly? (Which is entirely possible and probable.)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Here's the post from the other thread that got me on the right path. Can't take credit for it, John and Mary Knight posted this one.

"The Newmar switch confuses everyone because it is not the same as described in the Freightliner manual, which is the only information on this. There have been many discussions on this so you may want to search this forum for previous threads.
MANUAL is a toggle switch. Push once and you should get a message on the display saying "Tag dumped". The switch returns to the disable (middle) position but from now onwards the tag will dump when you are going forward and your speed drops below 8mph. If you now move the switch to the AUTO (forward) position the tag will also dump if you put the coach in reverse. This is how I set my coach up.
If you hit the MANUAL toggle again the forward dump function is turned off and the reverse dump is turned off since the switch has now reverted to the center DISABLE position.
Play around until you see how this all works. (Or wait for the contradictory information you will now get from other owners)."
Carefree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
Here's the post from the other thread that got me on the right path. Can't take credit for it, John and Mary Knight posted this one.

"The Newmar switch confuses everyone because it is not the same as described in the Freightliner manual, which is the only information on this. There have been many discussions on this so you may want to search this forum for previous threads.
MANUAL is a toggle switch. Push once and you should get a message on the display saying "Tag dumped". The switch returns to the disable (middle) position but from now onwards the tag will dump when you are going forward and your speed drops below 8mph. If you now move the switch to the AUTO (forward) position the tag will also dump if you put the coach in reverse. This is how I set my coach up. . . .
"

This is my problem. With the steerable tag I don't want it to dump going forward BUT do want it to dump in reverse. That is how I would like to set it up, but from reading I don't have that option.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Lizards View Post
This is my problem. With the steerable tag I don't want it to dump going forward BUT do want it to dump in reverse. That is how I would like to set it up, but from reading I don't have that option.
Of course you do. Leave the switch in the forward AUTO position. When you start the engine the reverse dump function will work, but the forward dump will not work unless you move the switch to the MANUAL position.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Of course you do. Leave the switch in the forward AUTO position. When you start the engine the reverse dump function will work, but the forward dump will not work unless you move the switch to the MANUAL position.
Exactly - that worked for me. Just play around with it in a parking lot or a deserted street.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:53 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So do I understand that every time you restart the coach, you need to go through the process of toggling the manual position and switch to auto in order to have the tag dump in reverse AND below 8 mph in forward?
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:46 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
No, you don't have to go through this every time you restart the coach. Set it once and you're done, unless you press the "manual" button again.

It really is a terrible installation for the tag dump - you'd think they could come up with something that's more intuitive.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Thanks, makes sense to this mechanically challenged person.