Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #1

Can't seem to make up my mind about buying a coach. Love what Newmar owners have to say about
their coach..but Monaco owners say good things also, as well as Tiffin. The opportunities to purchase "old stock" at rock bottom prices are enticing. But, I really would like to get the newest innovation to Motorhoming in the form of Comfort Drive. Is comfort drive really the wave of the future??? If I purchased an older Ventana or Kountry Star would I be kicking mysely down the road for not going with Comfort
Drive??? I haven't driven the new Comfort Drive, but have read up on them and of course checked IRV2 for your opinions. I can purchase 2006 Newmars with little or no miles for many thousands of dollars less than an "08. I guess
what I am asking is """is Comfort Drive really worth forgetting about all the very good deals out there"""???
As I am new to the MH experience, I welcome all
info offered. As I say I haven't driven a MH with comfort drive, but then again I haven't ever driven a MH at all. Have had experience in driving 15 speed flat deck trucks but never in one of these beautiful beasts.
One more thing, Newmar makes a very nice floor plans on a Freightliner Chassis with a front engine diesel and they boast a whopping 12-13 mpg.....would love to hear from someone who owns one and how they are doing for fuel mileage.
Thanks for your input.....Dave
David LeMieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #2

Can't seem to make up my mind about buying a coach. Love what Newmar owners have to say about
their coach..but Monaco owners say good things also, as well as Tiffin. The opportunities to purchase "old stock" at rock bottom prices are enticing. But, I really would like to get the newest innovation to Motorhoming in the form of Comfort Drive. Is comfort drive really the wave of the future??? If I purchased an older Ventana or Kountry Star would I be kicking mysely down the road for not going with Comfort
Drive??? I haven't driven the new Comfort Drive, but have read up on them and of course checked IRV2 for your opinions. I can purchase 2006 Newmars with little or no miles for many thousands of dollars less than an "08. I guess
what I am asking is """is Comfort Drive really worth forgetting about all the very good deals out there"""???
As I am new to the MH experience, I welcome all
info offered. As I say I haven't driven a MH with comfort drive, but then again I haven't ever driven a MH at all. Have had experience in driving 15 speed flat deck trucks but never in one of these beautiful beasts.
One more thing, Newmar makes a very nice floor plans on a Freightliner Chassis with a front engine diesel and they boast a whopping 12-13 mpg.....would love to hear from someone who owns one and how they are doing for fuel mileage.
Thanks for your input.....Dave
Old 12-28-2007, 12:33 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi David,
I do not have CD on my coach but whish I did have it. The only way you can answer your question is to test drive a coach with CD and then one without CD. I have test driven a coach with CD and love it. For me it is worth every penny it costs.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I don't have Comfort Drive on my MH, but I have driven 2 with it.

I sure wish I had it.

Newmar's 2 year exclusive use of Comfort Drive expires with the 2008 models.

It's my understanding that it will be available on other brands of coaches that use Spartan chassis starting with the 2009 models, so it won't be on the FRED.

It will not be called Comfort Drive, as that is Newmar's name for it.

It's real name is Column Drive, as TRW named their invention.

As far as the savings of an older coach over a new one with Comfort Drive, it's a matter of your budget. I'm sure you can buy a new 2006 DSDP for tens of thousands of dollars less than an '08. North Trail had 2 new '06 DSDPs a few weeks ago.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have not owned a coach you have many to chose from, left overs, new models in all lines and features you had wished you got.
Its your pocket book and DW that will help you decide.
Seeing as your retired you have time to look them over and keep notes so it doesn't get too confusing.
Good luck and enjoy the fun of moving up to your DREAM COACH.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:26 PM   #6

Don't forget, for a two year newer rig, '06 to '08, the resale or trade-in value is thousands, maybe tens of. So it is not just the Comfort Drive that is costing you, but the entire concept and package.

I'm surprised people are taken so quickly after just a test drive with CD. I test drove it and thought I liked it, maybe. After 10k miles and getting used to it, I would not have a coach without it. I love it.

Peter
Old 12-28-2007, 02:39 PM   #7

I would second Peters motion. I have had three other Newmar DPs and would not own a coach without Comfort Drive. The 2008s also went to the Oasis hot water system and I think that is a big plus.
Thanks, Daryl
Old 12-28-2007, 03:27 PM   #8

David Here's my $.02!! Budget is the #1 thing on the list, For me Floor Plan would be #2. Then options, Engine, Comfort Drive,Levelling system,Heating system,Generator Etc etc, And

Take It for a drive You cannaot tell if you like it till you drive it!!!

Rick
Old 12-28-2007, 03:54 PM   #9

David: It's only money and since you are retired think about how much traveling you want to do, in full comfort or with a few dollars in your pocket.
2nd: Make sure the other half is happy with the floor plan! If you plan on spending any amount of time in the unit and mother isn't happy, no one will be happy. That's the reason I'm still with my '01.(Amoung other reasons)
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #10

Another$.02!!!! You can divide the Option thing into 2 One list being the have to have deal breaker things and the other the would like to have but not 100% necessary.

As some here have said Comfort Drive could be in the Deal Breaker list.
I have never driven a Coach with CD, So can't really say!!!

Rick
Old 12-29-2007, 02:25 AM   #11

Never drove CD and don't miss it. Have driven ME(mid engine) and found its drivability far superior to a DP. Neither one would be a deal breaker to us as we find the actual use of a coach as the number 1 reason to buy!
Old 12-29-2007, 04:43 PM   #12

Just want to say thanks to all the respondents regarding my dilemma. January is going to be a fun month cuz we are going test drivin". I'll let you know the outcome.
Happy new Year to all.....Dave