RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What is your tire preference?
Michelin 45 78.95%
Goodyear 3 5.26%
Other American Made 4 7.02%
Asian made 1 1.75%
Have had and would buy Michelins again 19 33.33%
Have had and would NOT buy Michelins again 4 7.02%
Won't buy Michelins because of cost 3 5.26%
Won't buy Michelins because of cracking 4 7.02%
Have had and would buy Goodyear again 2 3.51%
Have had and would NOt buy Goodyear again 4 7.02%
Won't buy Goodyear because of "River-ing" 2 3.51%
Have had and would buy Asian again 0 0%
Have had and would NOT buy Asian again 1 1.75%
Will buy Asian brands because of cost 1 1.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tire poll

Since tire questions are such a common topic on the forum, and there seems to be a wide range of brand preference, I thought it would be interesting to see how preferences lined up thorough a poll.

Based on what I have read there are many that buy nothing but Michelins no matter the price. Others have had Michelins and have had problems with sidewall cracking and would, therefore, not buy Michelins again. Although I don't hear many saying they would only buy Goodyear tires, there seems to be many that buy Goodyear. And then there are those that have had the mentioned brand tires and don't want to buy them again due the the price or past problems. They appear to be going to another american made brand or asian produced tires.

So let's see what people are thinking...

(not sure what kind of results these poll questions will produce, but we'll see)

Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have always had Michelin's 3 coach's, have coach weight followed their tire pressure tables, had good wear and never had a blowout even as tires go over 8 years.
Age of tires has never concerned me just observed for cracking on side walls.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
So far none of the Asian tire people have checked in.... hummmm, wonder what that means?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Third coach with Michelin and never had to buy new set. Always traded before needed new tires. Enjoyed the ride so would not change brands if needed to.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #5

When I was buying, not all brands in my size were available where I live. My choices ended up being Michelin XRV (previous tire on coach), Toyo, Goodyear, and Bridgestone. Goodyear was a no-no to me. I was open on any of the others, but went with Michelin again because the previous ones performed well despite light sidewall cracking, they were not all that much more expensive, and they weighed at least 11 pounds less each.
My vote against Asian tires is really based on Chinese OEM tires on a 5th wheel that we bought new. They threw chunks of tread at less than two years old.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Since I don;t even own a MH yet, my vote won't be worth much, but I would have to say Michelin, just cause I've always had really good luck those tires.

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #7

When we bought our MH, it had the original (9 years old) Goodyears. We went with Toyos as replacements mainly because they are the main brand that Les Schwab Tire stores sell. We've had astoudning customer service from Schwab over the years.

The local store searched the warehouse inventory and found me a set of six that were only 6 weeks old!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I chose Michelin as that's what I have ran on all my tow trucks for the last three decades and no blow outs, I'm sure I've had a flat or two over the years but I don't remember them.

Now if you want to talk about abused tires from jumping curbs, running over tree stumps, crossing center medians at speed, winching with brakes locked while dragging the tires, and way too many of them with sidewalls sliced from running over scrap metal all I can say is it's part of the business and BTDT more than I care to admit
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Have always had Michelin's 3 coach's, have coach weight followed their tire pressure tables, had good wear and never had a blowout even as tires go over 8 years.
Age of tires has never concerned me just observed for cracking on side walls.
Same here, our last set of Michelins were dated 4701, I changed them out in Sept, 2010.
Only blowout I've EVER had was a GoodYear on our '97 Jeep.
Too many posts on various forums about GoodYears' and "rivering", which GoodYear won't usually warrantee.
But, with the number of people on the various forums that I see that are obviously ignoring the tire companies instructions about loading/tire pressure it's amazing that there aren't more troubles!!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:24 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The space shuttle uses Michelins. Enough said.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:04 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
For what it's worth: Last spring I replaced my 5 year old front Michelin XRV's with Michelin XZA3's. The sidewalls showed some slight cracking that was still within the Michelin standards for continued use. However since I was offered a good deal on replacement tires I went ahead and replaced them. Since the tires had almost new tread, the dealer said he would try for an adjustment on the XRV's. It took about 6 mos., but I finally received $100 each ($200 total) for the cracked sidewalls. Michelin called it a "good will" adjustment.

This fall I noticed my 6 year old rear Goodyears are just starting to "scallop". Soon it will be time for four more XZA3's. They are expensive, but I have been using Michelin tires on my performance vehicles since my first Michelin X's on my Triumph TR3 in 1960; then on my '64 TR4, and on my '68 TR250.

Well, not really true. I deviated for a couple of years in the '70s to BF Goodrich Radial T/A' for the Corvette and the '74 Buick Gran Sport... wanted the big fat, wide tire look in those days.

Went back to Michelin's on the Bronco and now on the Tahoe.