Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #1

Tire pressure

What is the correct cold tire pressure for a 2009 Dutch Star 4086
Thanks
Simon
Extreme limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Simon, what you need to do is get your coach weight at a Cat Scale or similar location with your coach ready for travel.
You will than go to the tire manufactures tire site with your Axel weights and add air to mfg's tire pressure table.
Tire pressures you see on sticker above drivers seat on wall are for unloaded weights.
To much air in tires can cause you a blowout your tires will increase in tire pressure as they heat up from 10-15 lb's.

Michelin tire information
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #3

I have been around the table on this issue and finally decided to go with the Newmar suggested tire pressure on the tag next to the driver's seat and I haven't been disappointed in this decision so far! But, way beyond tire pressure - I want your coach! What a wonderful floor plan and coach you do have! You made a great choice! Enjoy it!

Barry
Barryengleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:06 AM   #4

Smile Newmar

Best layout Ive seen in any coach plus mine has huge upgrades factory and mine
Ive put full remote electric blinds through out, round glass table, put outsie mirrors upside down, remote control ceiling fan in bedroom, full length custom made mirror on fridge wall,changed every light fitting, light switch, added lights boy took me about 6 months to get it how I want it
regards
Simon
Extreme limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
What side is your drivers seat in that 40' motor home driving in the UK. or are you in the U.S.?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Just to repeat stuff you probably know or have heard, but just in case you had not..At min do the cat scale weights for each axle. Even better and recommended is weighing each wheel..this is done for a minor fee at almost all major rallies. This should be done with the coach in normal driving trim and load...then with the tires cold adjust tire pressure to what the tire inflation tables say..I and some others add 5# for security in case of change in load...and do this at least once a year or as needed do to changes in stuff in the coach..
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #7

So, a more basic question, how do you add air to the tires with the tires cold? I check the pressure in the morning at the site but to get to an air hose I have to drive to a station usually far enough away that the tires will heat up. As I understand it you should wait 2 hours to have them cool down. So do youall carry an air pump that is sufficient for RV tires in your coach or is there some other way I'm missing?
- Ready2Roam
Old 05-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Assuming a dsdp you should have an air fitting in the generator compartment not sure which type of quick disconnect...it may go to high enough pressure for front tires...My preferred way is to use a portable air compressor that uses AC power and goes up to 140#..mine was made by husky and cost about $100 or so at home depot a few years ago. To use the air on the coach you have to run motor and air compressor does not require engine to be running...your neighbors will appreciate the compressor..JMHO
Old 05-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007"
Simon, what you need to do is get your coach weight at a Cat Scale or similar location with your coach ready for travel.
You will than go to the tire manufactures tire site with your Axel weights and add air to mfg's tire pressure table.
Tire pressures you see on sticker above drivers seat on wall are for unloaded weights.
To much air in tires can cause you a blowout your tires will increase in tire pressure as they heat up from 10-15 lb's.

Michelin tire information
The door sticker pressures are for your MAXIMUM GVWR, not "unloaded" weights. The reason to get a weigh is that you most likely are not traveling at your max GVWR and you should put less pressure in the tires than the door sticker states. Without a coach weigh, the door sticker pressures are your best starting point, knowing that you are likely not at the GVWR and likely have a little too much air in the tires. There is no danger of a blowout from having the pressures set at the higher than needed door sticker values. What will be affected is handling and ride. Too much air for your actual weight will result in a non optimal contact patch and a rougher ride.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Offthewall is correct except about overweight....many older Newmars were at or over front axle weight before putting much more than fuel in them so make sure you weigh coach
Old 05-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubmed98
Offthewall is correct except about overweight....many older Newmars were at or over front axle weight before putting much more than fuel in them so make sure you weigh coach
Did not know about the overweight from the factory of older newmars, that sounds dangerous.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #12

Check the tires cold, drive to the air station and check again. Subtract the hot from the cold and add that to your final fill. Now when it cools down check them again and you should be close. Or overfill when hot and recheck them when they cool off and let it down to where it should be.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Have started using Nitrogen in my Tires.....less heat on the road and very stable in outside temps..
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #14

Thanks for the input. I'll go with the cold/hot comparison until I can spring for a portable air compressor.
- Ready2Roam