Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #1

Tire Pressure Monitoring System on Essex & King Aire MH

On the Essex and King Aire motorhomes (2010 thru 2012) what kind of tire pressure monitoring system is installed. The Newmar site does not state. I have looked at older threads on this subject but could not find this info.

1) Does the system on these motorhomes read both temp and pressure and calibrate for intial cold to warm operating tire pressures?
2) Is the readout on the dash easy to read and toggle between screen shots?
3) Can the unit also monitor a toad or 4 wheel trailer in tow?
4). Are the tire sensors internal or external mounted?
5) how long do the batteries last on the sensors and are they replaceable?
6) in your opinion is the best system available right now?
7) is this system come with the Spartan chassis or is it added by Newmar?
8) is it easy to program set points, alarms, etc.?
BucketList is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
This is for the 2008 King Aire. The same system was used on later models, I don't know if it's still the same one. I'll have to ask Jetsmania what's in his 2012 unit.

The tire monitoring system is SmartTire, displayed through the TripTek system.

1. Yes. It reads pressure and temperature, and displays the delta from the corrected pressure.

2. Yes. The TripTek info is overlaid on the rear view camera (or other camera input), and you hit one button to toggle through the various screens, one of which is tire pressures.

3. Yes. I have tire sensors for our toad, and the display shows the toad side by side with the RV.

4. Internal.

5. Don't know for sure, but don't think so.

6. It's the one that comes with the unit. Can't compare to other systems.

7. Added by Newmar.

8. Yes. Menu driven UI.

joe
Old 02-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #3

I too have SmarTire original from Spartan Chassis. It reads both pressure and temperature via the TripTek. It also has a separate warning light. I heard they were no longer being used by Spartan or Newmar, but not sure if that is true.

Peter
Old 02-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I sent an email to Paul asking what's on his 2012 KGDB. I'll probably send one to Ken W at Newmar asking what they're planning on using in '13.

TripTek's web site says they're (still) using SmarTire transmitters/receivers:

Coretronics, Inc - Trip Tek Motor Coach Computer & Smart Tire Pressure Monitoring

joe
Old 02-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #5

When Bendix bought Smartire in Dec2008, they subsequently decided to discontinue the RV Smartire TPMS line thus making we RV Smartire folks orphans...

The newer Newmar TPMS is most likely certainly not Smartire. Here's the link.

Recreational Vehicles | Products | SmarTire Systems
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Theoretically they got out of the auto business too, but there are still dealers selling setups for cars that are compatible. Or they were a few months ago when I referred someone to the dealer I bought our setup from.

Now that I think of it, Bram and Bonnie also have an '12 KGDB, and they bought SmarTire sensors for their car. So the 2012 units are still using SmarTire. I think Bendix may have publicly gotten out of the business, but OEMs like Newmar probably had a contract that's still in place, so they're still getting parts. I'll have to see if I can find out how long that's good for.

Or it might be that SmarTire isn't officially in the business, but they sell the parts to TripTek, who is, and that's who Newmar buys from.

joe
Old 02-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #7

Joe, clearly there is more to the story than the press releases suggest.

I think you are close to the "real" story. Seems Smartire is still in the "commercial" business (bus/truck) and perhaps as you suggest distributing the "non commercial" stuff (auto/RV) through other channels. Certainly, there is no difference in a commercial "bus" sensor and a non-commercial "RV" sensor. It just might be a matter of distribution channels and/or fulfilling long-term legacy commitments.

As you suggest, the real question seems is Smartire merely supplying components until some longer-term customers (like Newmar) contracts run out or what?

It also begs the question of availability of parts for us potential orphans. Bob Dickman Tire - the big gun on RV Smartire - is selling existing inventory, not new components, thus suggesting possible availability issues for us.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote