RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2007, 09:30 PM   #1

I need to replace the tires on my '97 DSDP. I have the original 245/22.5's on the back and 2 275/22.5's on the front (provided by Newmar after I complained after weighing rig).

Newmar wanted me to go with 255's but I upgraded to the 275's even though the rim width was a little narrow. The tire dealer said it wouldn't be a big deal and they've worked great. (I believe they're 7" and the min spec for these tires were 7.5".)

I would like suggestions of what to replace these older Goodyear G159 series tires with. The only option I know of at the moment is Camping World with the Goodyear G670 Series.

What about balancing? I don't know what method Camping World uses. I have no experience with the power some folks are using. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Brad
Santa Fe, NM

BradBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2007, 09:30 PM   #2

I need to replace the tires on my '97 DSDP. I have the original 245/22.5's on the back and 2 275/22.5's on the front (provided by Newmar after I complained after weighing rig).

Newmar wanted me to go with 255's but I upgraded to the 275's even though the rim width was a little narrow. The tire dealer said it wouldn't be a big deal and they've worked great. (I believe they're 7" and the min spec for these tires were 7.5".)

I would like suggestions of what to replace these older Goodyear G159 series tires with. The only option I know of at the moment is Camping World with the Goodyear G670 Series.

What about balancing? I don't know what method Camping World uses. I have no experience with the power some folks are using. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Brad
Santa Fe, NM

Old 03-16-2007, 05:30 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Brad and welcome to iRV2. My recommendation is for you to go to one or more local truck tire stores. Camping World is good for many purchases, but for me, when it comes to tires, I'd like the skill and experience of the people who do only truck tires for a living.

Take your current information, tire sizes, rim size, axle weight ratings and actual coach wheel weight to the store. See what they recommend. Ask about how they will balance the tires. Ask to see their balancing machine and if you can watch them do a tire or two (dis mounting and mounting). The most important items are, are you comfortable with how you are treated and how they will mount and balance the tires. The major manufacturers all make good tires. Each of us have our preferences. The bottom line is choose to spend your $s where you are comfortable the service provided will be right for you.

If you are unsure about the information a store provides, post here and get some opinions on what you are being told. This purchase will be with you for a number of years. Take your time and buy where you are most comfortable.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:02 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Brad:

Agree with Gary's advice. When we decided to get new shoes for our beast, I shopped at truck tire shops. After our research, we decided on the G670's and I found the best deal at one of Goodyear's Wingfoot dealers. They offered spin balancing or Equal balancing powder. I also researched the Equal system and decided on that. The tires are silky smooth.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:58 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
for what it is worth..you might want to check with spartan or freightliner for their imput..my 98 dsdp on a spartan came with 255's but spartan did a recall and did the front upgrade to 275's..and would have upgraded rears at the same time if i paid..so the next year when i did the rears i went to 275's..using Michelin.. all are xza's
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:56 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
BradBev welcome to irv2 and the Newmar forum
As you see helpful bunch on here to help you out.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.

When your ready for some KARMA just let me know.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #7

I have the same MH as Brad with 44K on it and the original tires. The prevailing wisdom seems to be time for new tires. However. the tires look extremely good with no evidence of any weather cracks. They've been faithfully covered when not in use. How likely is it that there may be checking on the insides/non expoxed sides of the tires and how would that happen? Another question I have is what additional factors wear on a tire when never been mounted, but are about 4 yrs. old?

03 VW Beetle TDI
Tony Van Helden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:20 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tony,
Welcome to posting on iRV2. Go here and click on the areas that interest you. This is a Michelin site. The information provided is valuable regardless of the brand of tire.

The quick answer to your questions is:
1. at ten years old, the tires are most likely worn out from age. Call the Michelin help line and have them send you booklet MWL42739 (Michelin RV Tires Guide For Proper Use & Maintenance). There is also a side wall guage they can send you. It provides a visual reference going from excellent to replace conditions of a tire's side wall.

The bottom line is a tire starts to deterioriate as soon as it is made. There are chemicals in the tire to make it last a long time. Using the tire allows the chemicals to spread throughout the side walls. Tires that sit do not get the chemicals to spread and the tire material dries out quicker than a tire that is used. The chemicals last just so long, regardless of use. Ten years is a long time. If it were me the tires would be replaced.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:59 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BradBev:

Thanks,

Brad
Santa Fe, NM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brad,

The 245/22.5's Goodyear G159 on the back are most likely a 75 profile and they are not available in the G670 series but are in the (?)149. On the duals you would have to be carefull that the inner and outer tire do not rub against each other if you try to convert to a different profile especially if they will need to be run at lower inflation pressures than the originals.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:37 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
good point Neil in fact most tires come with a center of tire to center of other tire distance which must be followed when used as duals so they will not touch when used as duels and loaded and inflated properly..this will vary by the tire and size of rim..so as noted before a good truck tire dealer or chassis manufacturer should be able to give the appropriate tire requirements..do to over weight issues many late 1990-early 2000's chassis have changed the recommended tire to give a larger safety margin..
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #11

Gary, thanks for your reply. The decision to replace tires is so much easier when you can see clear evidence of a need to do so. Having said that, I don't want to wait until the evidence is scattered over some highway. I was hoping to buy in two more years just before we do a trip to Alaska as long as the tires currently "look good." I have yet to find on weather check or crack. Then when most folks talk about replacing at 7 yrs. and in the Michelin site they talk of 10 yrs., it doesn't really make it any easier. It seems to me the tire makers would tend to play it plenty safe with those numbers and the rest is up to the consumer.Then again, what do you pay for "peace of mind"? I suppose a search of this topic would tell me this topic has been exhausted and for this I apologize.

03 VW Beetle TDI
Old 03-18-2007, 05:10 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Tony,
I'd rather go to Alaska with 2 year old tires than with new tires. This is just me, but before the big trip of the year, nothing gets touched, on the coach. I do repair/replacement maintenance during our short trip camping season. This give me a chance to ensure what was repaired/replaced is not defective, installed and working correctly.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:27 AM   #13

Gary, that makes good sense to me. Such a "shakedown" philosophy is probably as valuable as the maintanance itself. Thanks

03 VW Beetle TDI
Old 03-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #14

Thanks for all the good advise everyone. Our DSDP is looking neglected over in the storage area. It's time to either get it fixed up and on the road or sell it.

I need to research the balance issue. I'm obviously don't understand the concept of the powder method. First thought is that the powder would accumulate in an area most distant from the center of the axle due to centrifical force (if the tire was slightly out of round), thus unbalancing the tire. So, more research is needed. Obviously the method works and there would be no need to rebalance the tires.

I used the DSDP quite a bit as home base while working away from home before retiring a year ago. So, the tires have some sun damage.

We bought a little Casita travel trailer for short trips and have been using that more than the motor home. But, sure can't take the grandkids along in the Casita.

Brad
Santa Fe, NM