Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2016, 07:29 AM   #1

Tire service standards

I recently had a very unsatisfactory tire installation experience at a local truck tire dealer. Fortunately, the manager was responsive to my complaints, and he supplied a new aluminum wheel to replace the one his employees had severely scratched.

I then suggested that I would send him a recommended standard of performance for when his employees work on motorhomes. Following is what I emailed him, but I wonder what else might have been appropriate to include.

Recommended standards for tire service on motorhomes

A motorhome is the owner's home, at least part of the time. They may have a considerable investment in their vehicle, and they can be very protective of its appearance. Treat it as you would expect someone to treat your own home or classic car.
Pick up the trash (nuts, bolts, tire weights, etc.) from the work area before having the coach parked there. Trash lying around in the work area suggests sloppy workmanship.
Do NOT use any of the motorhome's systems without the consent of the owner, including the leveling jack system, audio system, or toilet. He may not care, but ask first. Put down protective floor mats if you need to enter the vehicle. Do not enter the coach with a cigarette.
Ask about any tire pressure monitoring systems installed on the coach. Does he have special tools for removal and installation? Are there other unique considerations? Remember that the TPMS sensors are LOCATION specific! Be sure to reinstall them correctly and in the correct location. Have the customer check the operation and readings on the TPMS monitor before leaving the facility.
Ask what pressure the owner wants the tires inflated to. If he doesn't know, refer him to a manager who can establish recommended pressures based on the weight of the coach and the specific tires being installed. Inflate them accordingly. Install valve stem caps on all tires which do not have stem mounted tire pressure sensors.
Exercise special care to assure that wheels and wheel covers are protected from marks and scratches.
Leak test newly installed valve stems.
Clean tires after mounting on vehicle.
Clean all finger prints and grease smudges off wheels and wheel covers. Make sure the coach leaves with no worse appearance than when it arrived.
Keep your eyes open and advise the customer of any items possibly needing attention which he may not be aware of (example: fluid level in oil filled front wheel hubs).
Help guide the customer out of the work area, especially if he needs to back up. Four eyes are better than two.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2016, 11:09 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Those are excellent ideas. The same concept holds true for services performed by other dealers or repair shops. I have had 2 shops work on our coach in the last 2 years. The first for a leaking rear end pinion shaft seal. This shop, a NAPA Truck Center, didn't deal with motorhomes at all. They serviced delivery trucks primarily FedEx trucks. But the treated me and my coach with white glove care even parking it inside overnight. The manager made sure I understood everything they did to make the repairs and took extra steps to save me money. The other place I had service was at a glass shop. We took a rock to the windshield coming out of Norfolk Nebraska this last summer. Our insurance had us to visit this shop and they, being used to motorhome glass replacement, had a check list with items on it similar to what you wrote of. I and the manager / owner went over the list before and after the job. Things like picking up the trash and not using or even entering the coach while working on it were on the list plus the new windshield was spotless after the job was done. They even helped me back out and get turned around and on the road after we settled up. These are the type of things that make one comfortable with a servicing organization and want to return if needed again.

Tags
service