Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #1

tires

I was getting ready to leave yesterday with the motorhome and discovered the inside dual tire on the passenger side is bulging along the sidewall on both sides of the tire. This is a Michelin 255 tire. I have had my motorhome for 3 years. It only has about 12000 miles on it. I bought it new in hopes of not having any worries for the first few years. It has been one thing after another and I am very frustrated. Anyone have any words of wisdom?
chsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
First welcome. This is a great place to talk about and learn about RVing.

Sorry to hear about the tire. We just got through replacing all six. A big chunk of change but worth the safety. Went back to Michelins BTW.

Check the date on then tires http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11 some have been warehoused even on new coaches. The chassis on yours is likely to be at least a year older than the "manufacture" year.

Unfortunately you will be stuck replacing the tire for safety and take a close look at the others. If you are considering Michelin take a look at joining FMCA is for motor coach and motorhome owners. Motorcoach articles, motor home blogs, motor coach advice and motorhome videos. They have a Michelin discount program that saved us much more than the membership fee and it is a cool outfit.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #3

Checking tire pressure is very important on motor homes. Were the tire pressures checked before each trip? We have added tire pressure monitoring to our motor home in the last year. There are many things that can be problems on coaches so there will be problems.
For us it's still the best way for us to travel. Hope this problem gets taken care of and you can return to your trip. Tom 04 Essex
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
See your Michelin dealer. It should still be under warranty if only 3-4 years old.

They will go by the DOT date on them for age.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #5

As an over the road trucker for many years, tires are the biggest problem. My advise, buy the best tires you can, check inflation levels regularly, and do pre-trip inspections. I carry a new spare, an air jack, and an air wrench (I have a small air compressor in the tire bay with a hose reel). One other thing I never travel without is an in-fared temp gun (about $40). Whenever I stop, I point it at all the tires and wheel hubs. If one tire is hotter than the rest, I check further. Smae with bearings.I can't tell you how many times this has saved me getting a flat in the middle of nowhere. Better to be in civilization when bad things are about to happen.
Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey SugarDog.....Nice idea. I had a temp gun for my boat but never thought about using one on the road for the RV. I like that idea. Harbor Freight here I come again. Thanks!!!!!
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsprout
I was getting ready to leave yesterday with the motorhome and discovered the inside dual tire on the passenger side is bulging along the sidewall on both sides of the tire. This is a Michelin 255 tire. I have had my motorhome for 3 years. It only has about 12000 miles on it. I bought it new in hopes of not having any worries for the first few years. It has been one thing after another and I am very frustrated. Anyone have any words of wisdom?
Any chance you can share a photo of the tire bulges? Several folks on this forum have much experience with tires and tire wear.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #8

Commercial Member

Bulge on inner dual could mean it is low on air. what is its inflation? Could also mean it is overloaded because the outer is low on inflation.
How about posting all tire inflations (when cool and not in direct sun)

Well lit pictures always help.

Tire temperature is sometimes interesting but more meaningful is tire pressure. I strongly suggest a TPMS.
To those who think checking tires in AM and at lunch stop is sufficient, I would ask how they would feel if all their gauges on the instrument panel stopped working 5 min after starting the engine?
After all you checked the oil pressure just after starting the engine why would you care what it is a couple hours later.

TPMS can pay for themselves with your first tire puncture. You can also learn if you have a leaking valve.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have checked tire pressures every morning before leaving on every coach I have owned.
Have always used Michelins and always got the full use of them even up to ten years.
Never a blow out and when in storage set on plywood and covered for no sun.
They do not give them away you need to take care of them to get your money back.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires