RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #1

Tires DOT date Purchase

Trying to order 275/70r 22.5 Toyo Ebay or Online. I have found 2 company's that actually are the same company. When asking about the DOT date they tell me that all their tires are newer than 2010???? A TEN year old tire. Where can you get 4 tires, a truck stop? and if they order where are they getting them, Factory Direct. Geez I'd like to at least get some January 2019 tires. Is that possible.

valland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #2

Online purchase with an unbelievable discount? Where's the catch.... Guess you found it.

Bought my last set April 2018 from a garage. Tires were dated the 47th week I think of 2017.

That's where you might have to go IMO.

MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:34 PM   #3

Go where the truckers go. I just got a set of Yokohamas in Feb 2019 with a date of March of 2018. Less than one year old. And got a good price. The truck shop Im sure was going to sell my old tires and make up the difference.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:44 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I bought tires in late 2016 they were only 3 weeks old. But I had ordered them months before and dealer had to wait for Michelin to make them in the US.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had new tires installed at Discount Tire on our 5er this past April. They ordered 6 tires and I told them I wanted fresh tires, no more than 6 months old. The tires were 4 months old when we got them installed.

That is what is nice dealing with a store vs. a mail order. And they matched the online price I could get.

Ken
Old 06-14-2019, 07:57 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A good shop will bring up the date topic to you. If not, you bring it up. They should work to get you fresh dates.

I take my old tires home and sell them via craigslist. Truckers will readily buy them for trailer tires.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:59 PM   #7

Do a Google search for commercial tire dealers in your area. If you want a dealer to stand behind the tires, you've got to buy them from the dealer. May cost a few pennies more, but they'll have access to the newest tires and will want to keep you as a customer.

It should be possible to get tires less than 6 months old if you ask. Don't settle for old tires unless they are going to deduct substantially from the price, and even then only go back so far.

Where do the commercial dealers get them? Pretty much factory direct - they get them from the manufacturer's distribution centers. If the dealer is large enough or part of a chain, they may have their own warehouse, but the tires are coming pretty directly from the manufacturers. They don't sit around long in a commercial tire shop.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:33 PM   #8

I'm going through this right now, trying to find some FRESH tires. I planned to wait to buy tires until I sell my house in a month or two but just noticed sidewall cracking on the Michelins I have now. I just replaced the O2 sensors (would you believe the check engine light came on while driving to get RV inspected?) and need to drive it around to be sure the PCM is "ready" for emission testing. I don't feel comfortable driving it with sidewall cracks.
I decided on Toyo M154, went to Toyo site to look for dealers. Today I called the 2 closest to me, both gave similar price quotes but finding the date code is another story. Both were to call me back with what they find out. I hear back from one place and they said the tire could be from 2017, maybe 2018 or 2019. Sounds like the supplier didn't want to bother to go physically look at dates or the tires are really that old. I told them that is too old for me to put on my motorhome and politely declined. I was waiting for them to say they'd find me newer tires but I was just told thanks and call back if I needed anything else. This same place told me this tire was very popular and most RVs get same size (245/75/22.5). I found that odd because it makes me think the tires would be newer if they had people buying them up they'd have to restock with newer.
Buying online is no guarantee of date either, Simple Tire states it will be 4 yrs or newer. Amazon buyers say they received months old tires but there is no guarantee of that from seller.
I just finishing writing to Toyo for help, who knows how long to hear back. I think I'll call shops farther away tomorrow and just take back roads in case of blowout if needed. I thought it would be easy after deciding what tire to invest in. HAH!
Old 06-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #9

Hi Valland; Just got finished reading your post and what others here responded. When I buy tires I pick the brand I want and go to the local retailer and get a price. Almost all retailers will price match except for online sales. If they have the tires in stock I ask to see the date code on the tires. Never have been denied that request. If the tires have to ordered I tell the retailer that I will not accept any tires that are over 4 to 6 months old. They can call the warehouse and get the date codes on the tires to be shipped and check with me, or have the tires arrive at the store and call me with the date codes. If the codes are too old, this has not happened to me, I tell them that they can send them back and get me some newer stock if they want my business. So far I have not had any problems making this request. When we had Sam's Clubs here in Wa. state and the wife was shopping elsewhere in the store I would look at the tires on the shelf. Was always amazed how many of those tires were over 2 years old. Some I found were over 3 years old. I would not be buying them! I am not sure nowadays how many people purchasing tires know about date codes! Anyway, just my 2 cents worth. Good luck in your tire shopping!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:03 PM   #10

We ordered through Les Schwaab, Oregon (no sales tax) while in AZ but traveling that way. We specified no older than 6m. When we arrived they were all the same date - 8 weeks old.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:34 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
valland...have you checked around locally? Who is going to mount and balance them?

My Michelins have always been no more than three months old when I've bought them.

Maidendg....Do you remember the Check Engine Code that caused you to change the O2 sensor? Was it a P0150 or P0151?

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:55 PM   #12

Is the tire shop you're going to a commercial tire dealer? Both of the shops I've dealt with here had no problem finding me tires with dates no older than 6 months.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:33 PM   #13

Just FYI … you indicated 70 series for tire size … if you are replacing 275/80/22.5, you will have to go to 295/75/22.5 to get almost the same size diameter tire. 70 diameter would be a smaller diameter tire by several inches. You probably already knew this …
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
valland...have you checked around locally? Who is going to mount and balance them?

My Michelins have always been no more than three months old when I've bought them.

Maidendg....Do you remember the Check Engine Code that caused you to change the O2 sensor? Was it a P0150 or P0151?
P0134 bank 1 sensor 1. I ordered 2 sensors to do both. The one throwing the code was barely tightened on the exhaust which most likely was the reason for the code but I changed them out anyway.

Maidendg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, tires