Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2018, 08:11 AM   #15

Thanks, I think I figured out on my own that sitting was to experience the furniture/floor plan, not the comfort drive.
gjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2018, 08:13 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjos View Post
Thanks, I think I figured out on my own that sitting was to experience the furniture/floor plan, not the comfort drive.
That type of remark is why I contribute less and less to this forum.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:22 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
To DutchStar Owners

Quote:

The sarcastic tone of you comment is inappropriate, Bill is actually a very valuable resource on this forum, he has ordered and purchased a 2017 and 2018 DutchStar and has a wealth of knowledge to share.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:01 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I begin to wonder where the line is. It seems that manufacturers are maybe a little guilty of playing a specs game. For example...would you like the 10kw or 12.5 kw. The 2800w or two 3000w? I think to the average person...bigger is always better...after all, how can you have too much of a good thing???

Tell me if I’m wrong. Do most people run the generator the entire day while driving,,, so they can run three a/c units and do laundry while on the road?? Maybe, if we were roadies for a band...but we don’t do this as average coach users.

The generator needs to be exercised...”under load”. Many people find their generators are putting out a lot of soot. Techs tell them they aren’t loading the generator enough. If you can’t load a 10kw enough to burn out the soot...then hows it gonna work with a 12.5kw?

Inverters. I would say over 80% of our stays are plugged in to 50A service. The inverter is in standby and the electrical demands of the inverter bus are being powered by pass thru circuit from the pole. The inverter does the bulk of it’s work to supply ac power when NOT plugged into shore, or NOT running a generator. Basically, dry camping, or when driving down the road. Our loads do not warrant having 6000w of power. The microwave, residential fridge, a few chargers plugged in is about all we use. The only advantage you might gain..is having twice the recharge capability...which would require Lifeline AGM batteries or LiFePO4 to be able to take advantage of the higher charge current.

I digress... anyway. Inverters work off battery...and I don’t know how many extra batteries come with two 3000w Inverters. Until you decide to put 2kw + of solar on the roof...the measurable benefit you’ll get out of the system is the ability to camp in Quartzite...and run your generator fewer hours...because it will be potentially recharging your bank at a faster rate.

If I were going to put more Inverter on my coach...I would be looking at the Victron Quattro...24v,36v, or 48v Lithium storage...12v converter...and 2kw or more of solar. Going BIG isn’t efficient unless you plan it right. Two 3000w inverters just doesn’t seem to fit...

Maybe I have a need for it...and I just don’t know it yet. Please don’t tell me though. I’m content at the moment with my smaller generator and single inverter.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
I begin to wonder where the line is. It seems that manufacturers are maybe a little guilty of playing a specs game. For example...would you like the 10kw or 12.5 kw. The 2800w or two 3000w? I think to the average person...bigger is always better...after all, how can you have too much of a good thing???

Tell me if I’m wrong. Do most people run the generator the entire day while driving,,, so they can run three a/c units and do laundry while on the road?? Maybe, if we were roadies for a band...but we don’t do this as average coach users.

The generator needs to be exercised...”under load”. Many people find their generators are putting out a lot of soot. Techs tell them they aren’t loading the generator enough. If you can’t load a 10kw enough to burn out the soot...then hows it gonna work with a 12.5kw?

Inverters. I would say over 80% of our stays are plugged in to 50A service. The inverter is in standby and the electrical demands of the inverter bus are being powered by pass thru circuit from the pole. The inverter does the bulk of it’s work to supply ac power when NOT plugged into shore, or NOT running a generator. Basically, dry camping, or when driving down the road. Our loads do not warrant having 6000w of power. The microwave, residential fridge, a few chargers plugged in is about all we use. The only advantage you might gain..is having twice the recharge capability...which would require Lifeline AGM batteries or LiFePO4 to be able to take advantage of the higher charge current.

I digress... anyway. Inverters work off battery...and I don’t know how many extra batteries come with two 3000w Inverters. Until you decide to put 2kw + of solar on the roof...the measurable benefit you’ll get out of the system is the ability to camp in Quartzite...and run your generator fewer hours...because it will be potentially recharging your bank at a faster rate.

If I were going to put more Inverter on my coach...I would be looking at the Victron Quattro...24v,36v, or 48v Lithium storage...12v converter...and 2kw or more of solar. Going BIG isn’t efficient unless you plan it right. Two 3000w inverters just doesn’t seem to fit...

Maybe I have a need for it...and I just don’t know it yet. Please don’t tell me though. I’m content at the moment with my smaller generator and single inverter.

All very great points, important to note that the 10k Generator was the upgraded unit from the standard 8k. Like already said I can’t imagine two 3000w inverters without substantially increasing battery capacity seems like overkill.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I wonder if the dual inverters was to manage pass through issues. While most current inverters can be wired to handle 60 amps/7200W of pass through power I've not seen many wired to take advantage of that. Mine is not.

Depending on how EC set things up, this would be an adequate (but ham fisted IMO) way to handle that issue. Now, there could be another reason for the dual inverters that I'm not aware of.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Sky Boss- If my memory is correct you have got it right. Entegra in some models sets up so that the induction cook top can run both burners at full tilt. That has to be a lot of draw with two inverters at idle even if they are extra efficient.

Tom
Old 09-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
That type of remark is why I contribute less and less to this forum.

My apologies. I`ve no interest in offending anybody (ever). I`m new here and need the advice of smarter people than me. I obviously misinterpreted the first line in your post.
gjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:59 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
My apologies. I`ve no interest in offending anybody (ever). I`m new here and need the advice of smarter people than me. I obviously misinterpreted the first line in your post.

Accepted.

My point is that it is imperative when spending this amount of money that you determine how important the comfort drive is to you. It to me and others is the number 1 decision. It is not something to be taken lightly, like the color of the coach, and I think it's one of those things that you won't know until you own one. I bought Newmar because I travel from Maine to Arizona and the driving quality was number 1 to me. It didn't matter to me if the Entegra was prettier etc. or not. It's extremely difficult for someone like me to explain to you in a post what a pleasure and safety feature the comfort drive is. It has undoubtedly saved my life in a double crosswind, no doubt in my mind. If you don't drive far it may be less important to you. I would attempt to check that box first. It might make your search easier.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:53 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To DutchStar Owners

Gjos...... I would suggest a bit more research and thought before pursuing an Entegra at this time.
What I’ve read over the past couple of years is that both build quality and customer service have suffered across the entire Jayco line since the Thor sale.
Entegra coaches certainly have their fans, but to be blunt, since their Day 1 ten years ago Entegra has never been associated with a company with the experience or the corporate culture to properly deal with the luxury RV market. Now they are owned by a company with an established reputation for cutting corners and poor customer service.
Just my opinion, of course you will buy what pleases you.
Good Luck!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:20 AM   #25

I had great customer service with Thor. Several times supplier parts failed after the warranty expired and Thor sent replacements free of charge. As to actual build quality I had no issues. What they don't have is the emergency egress door in the rear bath which became a number one issue for us as we have aged.
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Sky Boss- If my memory is correct you have got it right. Entegra in some models sets up so that the induction cook top can run both burners at full tilt. That has to be a lot of draw with two inverters at idle even if they are extra efficient.

Tom
I can't comment on the advantages of the dual inverters even though I have them, but unless something changed in '19 you can't run both convection burners at full tilt - total between the two has to be 10 or less, ie. one on 7 and one on 3.

It sure seems like a lot of issues are marketing/competition driven - mine is better than yours!
Old 09-10-2018, 01:32 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Salty - What I am remembering is that the feed for the induction cook-top is split between the two inverters, one to each puck. Wish I could find that info and I do believe it is a recent change. If I find it I will post it. I'm more inclined to believe you with an '18 in hand than my memory from something I believe I read.

Tom
Old 09-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
i can honestly say my coach has been a dream to drive in windy conditions and don't feel semi's passing , even when they are doing 70 and me 55-60 I can't imagine what confort drive would feel like.

I will say that if I am too close to the back of a semi I will feel some turbulence