RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi Salty - What I am remembering is that the feed for the induction cook-top is split between the two inverters, one to each puck. Wish I could find that info and I do believe it is a recent change. If I find it I will post it. I'm more inclined to believe you with an '18 in hand than my memory from something I believe I read.

Tom
My memory is non-existent. I have no idea about the '19's but for sure the 18's are a max 10 total. Per DW.....

Saltydog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2018, 07:22 PM   #30

My .02, the three most important points when choosing which motorhome to buy is:

1) Floorplan
2) Floorplan
3) Floorplan

Everything else is glitter.

Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:56 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimlimike View Post
i can honestly say my coach has been a dream to drive in windy conditions and don't feel semi's passing , even when they are doing 70 and me 55-60 I can't imagine what confort drive would feel like.

I will say that if I am too close to the back of a semi I will feel some turbulence
comfort drive is nice...but you still feel air wash and bow wave/suction.....does it help ? yes is does....does it eliminate it ? no it does not....and it shouldn't, as far as i am concerned...knowing it is there is important to the safe operation of the high profile vehicle....an operator needs to know the forces that are being exerted on their rig, and the limits of its capabilities....to dumb it down too much puts the operator at risk.....makes them too comfortable....but, making it more manageable reduces fatigue...and that is a good thing....

that is the advantage of comfort drive....IMHO...it allows you to drive longer sessions on the road and not feel as worn out.....i believe that is part of the marketing on comfort drive, IIRC....there are also a few other benefits that i enjoy....having the wheel automatically go back to dead center is nice....when backing up/parking....also going to 1 on the control when maneuvering at low speeds around corners...requiring next to no effort on the wheel...that's nice....i have had two coaches without it, and now one with...i logged about 100K miles on those two coaches, so i know what its like to not have it, and to have it.....it's not a deal breaker, IMHO, but it's nice...

so, as has been said....if you are going to drive short distances, and park often, then it won't matter much. but if you're gonna really roam around, and drive longer sessions, comfort drive is really nice. if it's windy, and you need to make time, its nice. if you don't need to make time; you can park and wait for better conditions, it won't matter. if you're a confident driver in a high profile vehicle, and have logged many miles in coaches without it, you don't need it. you will enjoy it, for sure, but you don't need it. some first time drivers, who lack experience, and the confidence it brings, get great benefits from having it, and won't ever be without it.

all just my .02 cents, and YMMV.....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:30 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog44 View Post
My memory is non-existent. I have no idea about the '19's but for sure the 18's are a max 10 total. Per DW.....

Confirmed, my 18 is the same, combination of both =10

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #33

Will be going to Hershey as well and also interested in Newmar and Tiffin DPs. Does anyone know if there will be an opportunity to test drive any units there?
mmhh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:42 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhh22 View Post
Will be going to Hershey as well and also interested in Newmar and Tiffin DPs. Does anyone know if there will be an opportunity to test drive any units there?
i have heard of others driving units at the show....but not over the road....just in parking lots.....

not sure if that was a special situation, or the norm.....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Prior to purchase drove both an Aspire and a Dutch Star. I thought the Dutch Star was a bit quieter. On our test drive, there was no way to appreciate the Comfort Drive.
Does the Entegra come with a steerable tag? We ended up with a 2018 DS 4369 (thanks to DW). 10,000 miles later I REALLY appreciate the Comfort Drive. Also appreciate the wheel cut and steerable tag. Very maneuverable.
So glad we went with the DS.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhh22 View Post
I would find out who the dealer is at the show representing each brand. I think Newmar is represented at the Hershey show by RVOne. Anyway, should be listed on the website. Call the dealership and ask. They may be able to set something up. It really looks to me like they pack the coaches in...and probably can't move them during the show at all. And at least during the Tampa show...coaches that are sold the first few days...are closed so that the general public cannot view the interiors of a SOLD unit.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:28 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjos View Post
Thanks for all the input. I really value the sum experiences of the contributors on this forum which Ive been lurking on for some time. I donít think I had an adequate length of drive, or conditions to appreciate the comfort drive on the Newmar. I understand it really shines in crosswinds which I didnít experience. To me, the Entegra drove better by a very small margin, the dealer suggested that is just the difference in chassis. I absolutely like the variety of floor plans Newmar offers, plus the ability to put in specials. Hopefully I`ll be able to see and sit in a variety of floor plans at Hershey.

Summer 2017 we visited both Entegra and Newmar trying to decide on our next coach. I wanted a 40' coach and Entegra only offered it on the Aspire while I would prefer the Anthem. But the real deciding factors were Comfort Drive, the ability customize it to our liking, our great dealer. and Newmar's ability to build what we wanted. Unless you purchase Foretravel or above, none of the other manufactures will do what Newmar does. This is our 3rd moterhome and could be our last. We live in it full time and if we were going to spend the money on a new coach, we wanted a coach that met our requirements. Entegra would not do what we wanted. More of a take it or leave it approach. Between options and special, we had around 30 items. We are extremely pleased.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:34 AM   #38

We are Class A Newbies who are only just over a year into the world of RVing. Last year we purchased a New Montana 5th Wheel and 6.7 Ford to pull it. We tricked it all out, traveled a lot but always wished we had gone for the Class A to begin with and had done research for years on the top brands...at our price point. Out of nowhere, a couple came down from the Heavens above and wanted to buy our entire Rig!
Long story short, all of our research boiled it down to a Tiffin or a Newmar and believe it or not we never even drove one before we took ours off the lot! Call me dumb but being a pretty serious Car Guy I figured that there were a LOT more experienced Guys and Gals out there that have more experience than me.
There is a LOT of negativity and certainly biased opinions out there in all of the Blogs but you can weed through it to uncover many of the truths if you put some time into it.
Bottom line, Bob Tiffin makes a great Coach and has an incredible reputation caring for his company and customers. However the 2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 we found featured some very rare ($58K) options and color schemes, here are a couple of the features that really make it special for us:
>> Comfort Drive
>> Light colored Cabinets and Kitchen Sink Window = brighter interior
>> Full Wall Slide with NO Carpeting featuring real Tile from Essex Series
>> Heated Floors
>> Nova Awning Package
>> Interior/Exterior LED Lighting
>> All Electric Package

Sure, our "cost of ownership" went up exponentially from a 5th Wheel to a mid-range priced Class 1 but the comfort and ease of camping was an eye opener. At the end of our search Entegra entered into the picture due to a fellow Camper. He really loved his but was working his 2 year warranty pretty hard. With 7K miles on our DS we have experienced a few minor things but absolutely love our decision. If we were Full Timers the 4369 model seems to have the same floor plan but a little more storage...can never have enough storage on the road.

BTW...this model only features a 8KW Onan and it works just fine
Travel safe
gkonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
comfort drive is nice...but you still feel air wash and bow wave/suction.....does it help ? yes is does....does it eliminate it ? no it does not....and it shouldn't, as far as i am concerned...knowing it is there is important to the safe operation of the high profile vehicle....an operator needs to know the forces that are being exerted on their rig, and the limits of its capabilities....to dumb it down too much puts the operator at risk.....makes them too comfortable....but, making it more manageable reduces fatigue...and that is a good thing....

that is the advantage of comfort drive....IMHO...it allows you to drive longer sessions on the road and not feel as worn out.....i believe that is part of the marketing on comfort drive, IIRC....there are also a few other benefits that i enjoy....having the wheel automatically go back to dead center is nice....when backing up/parking....also going to 1 on the control when maneuvering at low speeds around corners...requiring next to no effort on the wheel...that's nice....i have had two coaches without it, and now one with...i logged about 100K miles on those two coaches, so i know what its like to not have it, and to have it.....it's not a deal breaker, IMHO, but it's nice...

so, as has been said....if you are going to drive short distances, and park often, then it won't matter much. but if you're gonna really roam around, and drive longer sessions, comfort drive is really nice. if it's windy, and you need to make time, its nice. if you don't need to make time; you can park and wait for better conditions, it won't matter. if you're a confident driver in a high profile vehicle, and have logged many miles in coaches without it, you don't need it. you will enjoy it, for sure, but you don't need it. some first time drivers, who lack experience, and the confidence it brings, get great benefits from having it, and won't ever be without it.

all just my .02 cents, and YMMV.....
Thank You for your comments on the Comfort Drive. You hit on some areas of it that I always questioned. I took a short 50 mile drive in a late model Newmar and played with it to see what all the hype was about. It sure did not make me believe it was anything I couldn't live without.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
To DutchStar Owners

We are at an FMCA chapter rally at the moment and a buddy of mine is here in his 16 Anthem. Last night I asked him if he had the two inverters and he said he did. I asked him why he needed two and he didnít have a clue. He is looking to go full time and considering a London Aire or a Cornerstone.

We have an 8kw Onan in our 2017 40 foot DS and it handles the two 15 air conditioners just fine. The longer Dutch Stars have a 10kw Onan for their three air conditioners.

I must admit that coming from a 43 foot SOB DP to my 40 foot DS with 8kw and only two acís if it would get the job done. But so far, we have found that the superior insulation in the Newmar product gets the job done just fine.

As to air leveling, we had it in our last DP but not on our DS. It was ok, but that coach did not have jacks. I would never buy another coach that had ONLY air leveling. There are many sites where air leveling cannot get the job done. I think that the Entegraís with air leveling have both, and thatís good.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Thank You for your comments on the Comfort Drive. You hit on some areas of it that I always questioned. I took a short 50 mile drive in a late model Newmar and played with it to see what all the hype was about. It sure did not make me believe it was anything I couldn't live without.

It takes an eight hour day on some twisty roads to really appreciate Comfort Drive. I learned that on my first long trip in my Dutch Star. No knots in my back at the end of the day.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #42

Question on the Tag Axel...

We did a test drive on a DS and a Ventana; was last year though and I really can't recall since I was terrified of driving such a big rig back then.

On the steerable tag axel-is that a Newmar thing or is that on the Entegra's also? We haven't yet driven an Entegra.

Just doing research for the future...

I do recall the Comfort Steer being a big plus. It was totally different than driving the gasser.