Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2017, 12:09 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I went with 100w panel only to keep the house batteries topped off during storage and light use of heater fans in winter. I figured I have a nice 10k gen set and it needs to be used to stay in good health. So I save money from buying solar and keep the gen set exercised with AGS. We use propane for a cooktop and a residential fridge but are almost always plugged to shore power.

Tobias - Newmar 2015 Dutch Star 4366
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2017, 02:40 AM   #16
4x4

Newmar Owners Club
I've got 600 watts and it is enough to lighten my usage during the day so as not to worry about draining the batteries while boondocking. I still use the generator in the morning and evening to cook with and watch TV etc. and fill the batteries. My stereo cabinet with the Dish receiver etc. is a pretty strong parasitic drain so I put a strip outlet up there with it's own switch which I turn off while boondocking when not in use. It saves about 6 amps@ 12 volts per hour which adds up overnight.

That being said, 400 watts helps, 600 is better but I'd prefer 800+ if space permitted. I think the weakest link is actually the battery capacity. I don't like bringing my batteries below 12.2v (while drawing so not an actual static battery voltage which would be higher) as the higher you keep the batteries the longer they'll last.

Unless you have 1000+ watts of solar and over 600amps of usable battery storage you'll need to run a generator sometime during the day anyway, solar just means you'll just have to run it less and not worry about your batteries during the sunny days when you're out exploring.

If you've got around $20k to spend, put as much solar as you have space for and swap in 900+ amps of LiFePo4 batteries!
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:19 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
?...

..... the fact that A/C use is a normal occurrence most every month in Florida...we have not elected to install Solar.....

Charlie

Well...I'm back. ---- and I have a retraction to make.

After learning more about solar and finding out about the Tax Credit, I took the plunge.

6 x 180w Grape Solar Panels
AM Solar mounts, brackets, tilt kits, combiner box, 10-2 roof wire
3 MC-4 inline 15A fuses
ME-ARC Remote
ME-BMK
4/0 upgraded NEG (-) battery to shunt cable
2AWG charge controller to battery bank POS(+)/NEG(-)
Blue Seas 125A fuse
Renogy 72v/60A fuse
2 x Blue Seas disconnect switches
Victron SmartSolar 150/100-TR MPPT Charge Controller

It's still not going to run the a/c or pay itself off in the near future. But I really like having the options. And it will be nice not to have to empty the fridge if we get stuck and have to leave the coach somewhere unplugged for a period of time without having to set the generator to run everyday. We'll be learning more about and working in new opportunities to go "Boondocking" ...and I really am looking forward to that as well.

The ME-ARC and ME-BMK upgrade gives you a lot of new options. I really enjoy having that upgrade done as well.

So, don't pay any attention to my previous post. It was too pragmatic. Heck, throw caution to the wind and live a little. If you want solar...then go for it.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:54 AM   #18

Charlie, nice setup. Who did your install?
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:18 AM   #19

Some additional details (installation notes, panel and equipment placement, wiring diagrams, pictures, etc) on your install would be a treasure! Several of us would like to be right behind you.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:20 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sure...Look for a new thread on the details. I don't want to misdirect Leland and Pamela's thread...

Tags
solar