Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2020, 11:05 AM   #1

To Stereo Aficionados

Ok, in replacing the old AV Sony AV system, I’m trying to improve the sound direction to best listen to music and watch tv from the televator. My it’s wired in the following way:

Front speakers = cockpit area
Rear speakers = by refrigerator
Center speaker = above televator

I’m thinking it should be:
Center speaker above televator
Left front by cockpit
Right right front by the sink
Left rear by cockpit
Right front by the frige

For a better sound distribution, I’m missing something? I’m connecting correctly? I know it’s a 2” inch speaker but I have to make it do with what I have for now.

Thanks for the help

Zzotte
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2020, 01:26 PM   #2

Well sure, if your speakers are to remain in the same location, this is the best you can do. However make sure the speakers are all matched in pairs, because you don’t want to have mismatched pairs from the cockpit and kitchen area.

Realistically speaking, having separation between left and right channels with that much distance is really more of a detriment then a benefit.

You would be better off just to use a sound bar and call it quits. You could always use those other speakers solely for audio such as music.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Well sure, if your speakers are to remain in the same location, this is the best you can do. However make sure the speakers are all matched in pairs, because you don’t want to have mismatched pairs from the cockpit and kitchen area.

Realistically speaking, having separation between left and right channels with that much distance is really more of a detriment then a benefit.

You would be better off just to use a sound bar and call it quits. You could always use those other speakers solely for audio such as music.
I agree it’s not much of a separation but I have no room for a sound bar using the televator, unless I find a really skinny one so it would fit under the tv without impeding the televator movement.

Zzotte
Old 01-25-2020, 07:15 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Yes, center would be above the tv
left front above passenger seat left rear above drivers seat
right front over sink and right rear by fridge.

I just went through this and redone my system.
your right speakers will be louder as they are further away. you want to balance the sound from your seat. The speakers are small but so much better than a sound bar. Dont forget the sub-woofer under the sink and adjust it with the cabinet doors shut. My new receiver had a microphone you plug in and it adjusted the speakers automatically.
can't believe the difference when done right. also make sure you get the right wires hooked to red + and black - this will also make a difference.
good luck
Old 01-25-2020, 07:25 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Funny how Newmar finally figured this out in 2018 and dumped the Sony AV receiver - which was NEVER set up correctly anyway - in favor of a sound bar. Now if they had just spent a few more bucks on the sound bar or at least offered an option upgrade......
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:28 AM   #6

Speakers for a 5.1 system should be oriented based on where you sit and where the TV is.
The Center should be as close to the TV as possible. The L and R flanking it's sides.
The rear channels behind your ears. The subwoofer is more independent on where it can be as the low frequencies travel easily and are mono.

RV isn't the best environment for good "theater" sound as the seating is compromised. Hard to get speakers behind your ears in an RV. The quality of the speakers is a better way to get good quality sound and a soundbar is pretty much the worst due to the physical limitations of driver size and back enclosure. Most people have tin ears and don't know the difference though... A sound bar is there for easy installation. Not quality of audio.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:37 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is what I thinking of using. It's sound bar that splits in two pieces and can put on both sides of the TV plus it runs bluetooth. put

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...9962849&sr=8-3
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:49 PM   #8

I use these Cambridge units as my left and right front. I also have a Polk Audio center speaker under the TV.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:18 PM   #9

Zzotte,
This sound bar worked great for me. It is pretty thin and has good clear sound. I bought mine at BestBuy. Bose® - Solo 5 TV Soundbar. I do not have the televator, so that may not work for you.
JMcG
2016 VTDP 3725
JMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:06 AM   #10

Thank you all for the tips, I can’t use a sound bar so I will install the wiring correctly to the AV receiver and see how it goes I hoping to be able to adjust the the volume of the subwoofer with the new receiver, it’s was unbearable. Thanks again

Zzotte