RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2007, 02:57 PM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

I would certainly contact Newmar's engineers and ask them how they'd feel about hanging a bike off of their frame...

I have a hard time believing it's what they would suggest.

I know a lot of people do this, it's just a personal decision for me.

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2007, 03:08 PM   #16
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The leverage that a bike lift with bike on board applies substantially more rear weight. The figure of 1000 lbs. for bike and lift sound okay, however they are aft of the receiver. At the receiver (hitch plug-in) you have a maximum of 1500 lbs. or 10% of total capacity. Your 1k with leverage is right around the capacity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Peter is correct. The possibility of an overloaded axle or tire is great. Getting the rig weighed after the fact would be in order.

Bob's suggestion of calling Newmar would be prudent also.

There is also the option of a tow dolly to carry the bike, and the front wheels of the toad.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
What about the overall length? With an 45 foot Essex (44 feet 11 inches) you have about 20 feet before you reach the 65 foot length most states have imposed. If you get a ticket will they let you keep going or must you unhitch? If you have to unhitch I hope your vechile inside can pull the trailer.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #18
Administrator Emeritus

John, I have several friends that tow Stackers with 45 foot coaches and the one thing they don't worry about is being stopped for being over length....Yes,if I'm in a wreck and the DOT measures me and I'm deemed negligent in the crash I can see there being an issue,but I guess I refuse to worry about that...
Old 03-05-2007, 05:15 AM   #19

Peter,

Before I put the lift on the Diplomat I calculated the weight on the back axle (and the weight removed from the front axle). Blue Ox sells motorcycle lifts manufactured by Overbilt. Their web site has a reasoned discussion of the issues and the formula to use for calculating weight.

Blue Ox Lifts

When I bought the Dip. I didn't get a forth slide in the bath or a washer/dryer. A major reason to buy the Essex is the tag and the fact it's 45 feet. If you look at the Blue Ox calculation page, you'll see this geometry (long wheel base and shorter distance to the motorcycle lift center of gravity reduces the multiplication factor on the axle. By the way, Howard RV knows this was a major reason to buy the Essex.

In summary, if you run the numbers and find your coach will handle the weight (read Blue Ox's discussion as to which coachs are likely to work and which ones won't), then find a competent shop to install it. I have had both installed by Art Boice of Overbilt, who licensed the technology to Blue Ox. He does several of these a week.

Blue Ox and Overbilt aren't the only games in town. There are several other manufactures of bike lifts on coaches here at Pelican Lake. In fact several of our Canadian friends have a "Komo" lift. Don't know much about it, but they all seem to have the same one. It's made in Canada.

Komo Lift

Dick
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:27 AM   #20
Administrator Emeritus

Nice link to teh discussion on Blue Ox...Here's something I copied from that link,gives some good "food" for thought.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure the rear tires of the motorhome have enough capacity to withstand the extra weight that will be applied when motorcycle lift or carrier are installed.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:13 PM   #21

Yes, you do have to do that. Not a big deal since you'll want to know that number so you can put air in your tires.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #22

Bob,

I could have selected any number of comments from the Blue Ox web site (an IRV2 sponsor), but I thought it better to include a reference to the entire article. I'm hopeful that anybody considering doing this will read the entire article to make informed decisions.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:34 PM   #23
Administrator Emeritus

Since the OP has apparently gotten the answer he was looking for and now that this has apparently gotten into a "lift or not lift" discussion,I think we can move on.

It might be prudent to ask any further questions in a new topic....
Old 03-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #24

We hauled the Harley on the back of our Gas Bounder with a homemade lift, for over 30,000 miles-no known structural problems. Our biggest issue was to extend the chassis frame three feet in order to install a receiver(3-point)strong enough for the load. Actually reinforced the coach structure as many manufacturers do not build the frame the entire length of the coach.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:22 AM   #25

I used the Cruiserlift on my Mountain Aire DP but I think I may go the trailer route with my Essex. Now I'm wondering about everyone's thoughts on the type of trailer everyone prefers? Also wondering about what brands everyone prefers?

Carlos151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:56 AM   #26
Administrator Emeritus

Since we're three pages into this thread and it's buried in the Newmar Forum I am going to leave it here,but link it to another topic that might get you more responses...

Really should be a new "non-Newmar" topic in theory,but oh well...
Old 03-07-2007, 04:13 AM   #27
Administrator Emeritus

Now to weigh in on my experiences with manufacturers...
Sitting here in Daytona Beach at Bike Week,where there are literally dozens of different trailers to see and I must say there's NOT ONE that I've seen that I like any better than my Aluminum Trailer Company (ATC) Stacker. ATC's units are manufactured right down the street in Nappanee,so if there's ever an issue with your trailer you can feasibly have it taken care of while at the factory with your coach for service. I am going to have them take care of several things in June.

Everyone I've ever spoken to has held Featherlite in high regard,but then I truly feel this has fueled their prices to be some of the highest in the market...

I would go Aluminum and NOT STEEL,as the weight is definitely an issue.

Featherlite,ATC,Optima all good units and I think even Renegade has come out with a lightweight model.

Be certain you check the axle ratings, my Stacker has three 6K axles,which means I can carry about 10K since the trailer weighs around 7800 pounds empty.
I saw a Featherlite unit with 8K axles,it was 30' long!! WOW!!
Old 03-08-2007, 07:28 AM   #28

Thanks Bob for the information. I was leaning towards the Aluminum Trailer Company so your comments were appreciated. You suggested that this maybe wasn't the proper forum for me to get the most out of my question about trailers. Can you direct me to the forum that may be the best one for general questions? Thanks again.

Carlos151 is offline   Reply With Quote