Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2007, 10:09 AM   #1

Hello,

I just traded my 2005 MADP for a 2007 Essex. On the MADP I towed an H2 and also used Cruiserlift for my Harley. I don't know if I want to try a trailer or a stacker trailer or if I want to go back with the same setup as I used before. I liked the other setup and it allowed me to fit in campgrounds better than if I pulled a trailer. I like the idea of getting my vehicles from place to place and having them more secure and clean, but I wonder about how many campgrounds will accommodate the extra length. I don't want to have to park hundreds of miles from where I want to go just to find a campground that works with the extra length. What suggestions does everyone have?

Charlie

Carlos151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2007, 10:09 AM   #2

Hello,

I just traded my 2005 MADP for a 2007 Essex. On the MADP I towed an H2 and also used Cruiserlift for my Harley. I don't know if I want to try a trailer or a stacker trailer or if I want to go back with the same setup as I used before. I liked the other setup and it allowed me to fit in campgrounds better than if I pulled a trailer. I like the idea of getting my vehicles from place to place and having them more secure and clean, but I wonder about how many campgrounds will accommodate the extra length. I don't want to have to park hundreds of miles from where I want to go just to find a campground that works with the extra length. What suggestions does everyone have?

Charlie

Old 03-01-2007, 10:43 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Bob (rebelsbeach) has a setup like what you describe. He is traveling today. When he checks the psots, I'm sure he can provide some first hand information.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Charlie,as Gary has mentioned I did buy a 24' Stacker several months ago and have since been all over the map as far as whether I made the right decision...My Stacker holds my golf cart and H3 on the first level and is set up to hold up to four bikes on the top level.
Having recently gone full-time,my decision was pretty much made "for" me and I've decided to keep the trailer.
My first experience with the trailer was in Arcadia,FL where it necessitated dropping the trailer on a pad at the entrance to the campground...You'll find more often than not you'll need to do this,so that's something to think about...One thing I would recommend is that you purchase the book entitled "Big Rig Best Bets", even with just the 45' Essex alone it's a good resource.
My Stacker has a "V" nose which is something to consider for loading purposes,as loading a Harley in a "V" nose is more conductive to a flat front...
Since you're pulling the trailer with a coach,the aerodynamic aspects isn't an issue...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:22 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">what you describe. He is traveling today. When he checks the psots, I'm sure he can provide some first hand information </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info. I will order the book "Big Rig Best Bets". Do you find that the stacker sometimes is just too much or are you totally satisfied with your setup? My wife and I are planning on going full time sometime at the end of the year but I don't want to feel like I've missed anything because I'm to large to go everywhere.

Charlie

Old 03-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carlos, I would do it the way you did it before, no problems, no complications. Just some soap and water

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:39 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Steve makes a good point about soap and water and U must say this is definitely a "personal" decision,so you'll have to be comfortable (and stuck...LOL) with whatever decision you make...
I've made my decision and persona;;y I'd rather deal with the space issues and have my stuff out of the weather and everyone's paws and eyes 24/7.
I'm NOT a fan of hanging my bike off the frame of the motor home, I would encourage you to speak to the folks in Nappanee about that idea.
700-1000 pounds hanging and bouncing off the back of that coach has GOT to do something to the coach....
Old 03-02-2007, 08:15 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">have my stuff out of the weather </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but you LIKE to play in the snow and salt. For most people, a little dust (and maybe road tar boiling up out of the pavement) is all they have to deal with.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:07 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Ken, I can assure you I'd rather NOT had been "playing" in all that snow and salt...

We arrived here in Daytona with all the toys snug as a bug and no worse for the wear.
Having them in the trailer gave us the ability to use them as soon as we got here,without having to clean them....

NOw if you could just do something about the rain!
Old 03-03-2007, 04:42 AM   #10

If you use a Gatorhyde cover your bike will not need to be washed! We went to the ATME(with garage-don't need my cover for the Fatboy) because we got tired of loading/unloading(the cover does take some time to put on/take off)
Old 03-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #11

Carlos, I toed 4 on the ground for 4 and1/2 years. In Dec.,'04 we bought a 20' enclosed Pace American trailer to haul a car, bicycles and "stuff". We are much happier with the trailer and probably will never do 4 down again.

Yes, parking in "some" campgrounds can be a problem-we call ahead tell th3em what we have and if they can handle us that's fine, if not it is just another phgone call. We have foiund very few instances where overall length has been aproblem.

Now the upside, everything arrives cleaner (assumes it was clean when you loaded it); which car to use is a non-issue; assuming trailer is already hooked to MH the loading'unloading process is generally quicker than 4 down and I could care less about weather or day' night issues; we have full time braking vs. panic type with a Brake Buddy type set-up; the other drivers have better visibility of my combo. thaan they do with 4 down; I can back up as much or as far as I want-what happens with a 4 down choice; mwear and tear on the car is insignificant and on the trailer it is only tires to deal with.

When we decide to hang up the keys I do not expect to incur any major finaancial loss with the trailer. All in all we are happy with our choice; but, it is like the preferewnce for vanilla or chocolate.

Good luck with however you choose and stay safe out there, Ken, '04 DSDP

P.S. My overall length is just shy of 65' as I ordered the trailer with a 5' tongue to virtually e;liminate MH and trailer playing kissing games.
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:31 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now the upside, everything arrives cleaner (assumes it was clean when you loaded it); </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I looked for that "wash option" when I bought my Stacker....
Old 03-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #13

I have had a bike lift on the back of a Monaco Diplomat and an Essex. I was concerned about the weight on the back of the Dip (40' and no tag axle) but then saw an article in Monaco's publication about the exact Dip with my exact Motorcycle (Electra Glide). So I had one installed on the Dip and it worked great.

The Essex is a much bigger coach and has a tag, so I'm quite sure it doesn't even breath hard with the HD on the back. The coach weighs approx. 45,000 pounds and the lift plus bike is 1,000 or about 2%. Let's put it this way, if I have full water, gray and black it weighs a lot more then the bike.

The bike does get dirty. I clean it when we arrive, just like I clean it after I take it out for a ride.

I won't say I'd never get a trailer, because lots of things I said I would never do I'm doing. But I want to keep things simple and be able to travel anywhere without worrying about what to do with the trailer. It's already tough enough worrying about what to do with a 45 foot coach and toad.

Tough part is the wifes Heritage Softail. To have both bikes requires I tow my truck (with the ST in the back). But the truck handles like a truck. You just can't park the thing. It's too long.

The ideal solution would be Bob's stacker except it would fold up when you got to your destination.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Essex is a much bigger coach and has a tag, so I'm quite sure it doesn't even breath hard with the HD on the back. The coach weighs approx. 45,000 pounds and the lift plus bike is 1,000 or about 2%. Let's put it this way, if I have full water, gray and black it weighs a lot more then the bike. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Dick, Hope you are doing well. Actually you can not really compare water tank weight with aft hitch weight. The leverage that a bike lift with bike on board applies substantially more rear weight. The figure of 1000 lbs. for bike and lift sound okay, however they are aft of the receiver. At the receiver (hitch plug-in) you have a maximum of 1500 lbs. or 10% of total capacity. Your 1k with leverage is right around the capacity.
Something that is not totally understood is GVW all up load. It totally depends on each axle and wheel to be loaded correctly. This never happens.
Having said that, there is a reasonable over run for safety. But that barrier should not be used.

Peter