Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2008, 06:56 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Do you have any thought at what type of braking would be best with a lighter vehicle. I think the sami is closer to 2000 lbs. Is there a type of system that would be less likely to have problems with a lighter vehicle?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2008, 07:06 AM   #30

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shirlock1:
Do you have any thought at what type of braking would be best with a lighter vehicle. I think the sami is closer to 2000 lbs. Is there a type of system that would be less likely to have problems with a lighter vehicle? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No real world experience, but IMHO would go with a "on/off" system, as the only braking need would be for an emergency stop for a 2-3000 lb. Toad.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:39 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
I would tend to agree with Dave on a light toad. I have towed a Jeep Wrangler around quite a bit without any supplemental braking at all. Probably not actually legal in my home state, but have had no problem. The Honda Pilot and Chevy Silverado are a bit heavier and the progressive braking makes a big difference, you can really tell when the brakes aren't hooked up.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:45 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Towing a dinghy without any brakes is not for me. You should have a break-away system as a minimum. Think what would happen if the dinghy got loose due to a tow bar failure and went across the center and into on-coming traffic. I would have a hard time sleeping if I knew I had caused an accident because I did not tow my dinghy the safest way possible....and dingies do come loose, not often, but it does happen.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
For those interested, the following is a quote from M&G Engineering...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If the line develops a leak, you will not loose brakes. Air pressure is present in the line only when you are stepping on the coach brake pedal. We use a 1/4 inch OD airline, so the compressor will put in more air than is lost with a leak. You can drive all day with the leak and not have a problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dav5942:

No real world experience, but IMHO would go with a "on/off" system(i.e. BrakeBuddy) as the only braking need would be for an emergency stop for a 2-3000 lb. Toad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave:

The latest model of the Brake Buddy uses Proportional Braking.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #35
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The latest model of the Brake Buddy uses Proportional Braking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the new BrakeBuddy-Vantage Select offers full braking or proportional braking, and is selectable on the fly.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
afrank,
Thanks for the M&G quote on the air line issue. I had my M&G installed by them and we discussed what would happen if the air line was severed to the toad and the quote you posted was consistant with my conversation.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #37

Construction workers hurt when towed car breaks away from RV

CULLMAN COUNTY, Ala. -- Three Alabama Department of Transportation workers were hurt Monday morning when a car being pulled by an RV broke loose and slammed into a crew in a work zone, according to ALDOT's Montgomery based spokesperson.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #38

I don,t think the M&G will work on the 08 VUE.There is not any room for it to mount between the brake booster.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aridon:
Yes I've searched but I have a few questions about toad brakes. Wife and I are getting our new toad ready for towing and I'm curious about a few things.

Aside from proportional vs non proportional breaking Toad brakes seem to come in two varieties.

1. Does not use the vacuum system or fluid from the toad

2. Somewhat invasive system that uses the vacuum / fluid from the toad to break.

Now we did a test last night and put the car on a slight incline. I did the normal toad set up, put the car in neutral w/ parking break, ignition to ACC etc..

Lower the parking break and we started rolling, pressed the brakes and stopped.

Ok. Released the brakes, rolled, pressed them again. Little harder to get it stopped. By the third or fourth time there was little to no breaking I almost had to slam the pedal down.

So given this, are the braking systems that do not use the toads fluids / vacuum really braking? Especially proportional systems which may stop the car on the first few pushes but after that are they really slowing it down any? I see some of the cheaper alternatives out there that claim to do this and unless I'm missing something it doesn't seem that after a few pressed of the brake they are really doing anything.

I'm asking because we are looking at SMI or M&G which appear to actually recirculate the fluid or use the vacuum system on the vehicle to actually have the normal brake pedal stopping feel. Are these more effective? Obviously they are more expensive.

Now Please understand that I am not a mechanic. I do not have very much knowledge of how things work in a vehicle so please don't harp on me if I have made an error in my observations. I'm just trying to get the proper product thats actually going to work and gain a little knowledge in the process.

Am I missing something? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2007 Monaco Camelot
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:09 PM   #39

That was my problem - not enough room for the M&G - on my 2002 4Runner. I went with the SMI Air Force One and couldn't be happier. If you are near Henderson Front End in Grants Pass, OR I wholeheartedly recommend him. He knows what he's doing and the installation is professional. My unit, installed, cost less than the Brake Buddy type units.
Also, SMI is one of the iRV2.com sponsors.

2005 Dutch Star (4009)
OpaRon is offline   Reply With Quote