Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #15

I really can't believe anyone would tow 4 down without one. JMHO
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #16

Yes, love my SMI. 3 years now, cross country 2 1/2 times. Wonderful. Very smooth proportional braking.
Traveldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I cant tell you how many trailers (utility, cargo, RV, you name it ) I have seen with the break away cable secured to the tongue latch pin.

Even those that secure it properly to the frame of the tow vehicle often dont check the battery...if it.even has one.

Lately our local PD (Alvarado, TX) has stepped up trailer safety checks for all trailers. This is one source of revenue I wish all PD would go after, as it will make everyone more aware.

I was recently pulled over, and they checked my frame for matching vin, then checked trailer lights, battery voltage, and even commented that they couldn't give me the standard warning for crossed chains. I looked really smart that day, and learned something new too.

Prior to being pulled over I thought crossed chains where only to prevent dragging due to excess length. Turns out it is a bucket in case of ball hitch separation.

Towing 4 down does not require crossed chains, but does require safety cables secured to both frames.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
Have one don't use it much, air brakes on the Journey will put you through the W/S with the toad hooked up. JMHO
Most MH brakes are good enough to stop a coach and toad as long as the toad stays connected and your not involved in an emergency stop or accident. However, there is undisputed evidence that stopping distance is reduced with supplemental braking installed on the the toad. Unfortunately our society has become very litigious and Lawyers begin calling as soon as an accident occurs. It is really for you and your families financial protection. I also think all of us would like to do everything possible to possibly prevent hurting someone.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #19
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
I use one. 1) it’s the law most places I visit, 2) I believe I have a responsibility to be as safe as possible when I am doing something that could injure others.

Someone once mentioned that I was just paranoid, why they had played with BB guns when young and no one got hurt. Just for the record, I have a cousin who is blind in one eye... from a BB gun.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:46 PM   #20

I absolutely have one. Safety ( braking and breakaway) is the number one reason. Followed closely by it being the law in many places. No reason not to have supplemental braking IMHO.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #21

Yes I have a SMI system. Installed on toad when faceplate installed. Wouldn’t tow without it. Legal requirements aside.
Not only for my safety, but the safety of others.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:20 PM   #22

We have one too for the reasons cited. If you had a problem with the coach brakes this braking system could help.
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:59 PM   #23

Brakes on toad required in PA and I have learned you can't have to much braking.
pellet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellet View Post
Brakes on toad required in PA and I have learned you can't have to much braking.
I used to have a Brake Buddy, but honestly didn't always set it up. Finally relialized my laziness was wrong and upgraded to Airforce One. Now it's always (and easily) connected. Just one close call will do it. I started to imagine what even 6 feet shorter stoping distance would look like.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:47 PM   #25

Yes have one, always use it for all the above mentioned reasons but mainly safety and in case of separation from coach.

Tags
toad