RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2019, 01:09 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Toad on a Trailer Question

My wife is dead set on us purchasing a Jeep Renegade or Compass Trailhawk. Neither is capable of being flat towed or dolly towed. So, when we get the new vehicle I will be relegated to hauling it on a trailer and the hassles associated with doing it that way. But, Happy wife, yada, yada.

The questions I have are:

If you tow with a trailer what has been your experience in parks for parking the trailer? Did they make you put it in a designated area? Allow you to park it next to your RV? Not allow you to camp there?

Did you purchase a trailer with electric or surge brakes? And, why would I choose one over the other (other than more expense)?

Did you buy a new or used trailer? Why?

Steel or aluminum? Why? (other than weight advantage)

Thanks in advance

Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #2

Go to rv.net then dingy towing, there is a thread on towing the trailhawk flat 4.

If you check the same size trailer in steel or aluminum will weigh close to the same only advantage is no rust.

01blueox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We traveled for 4 years with an enclosed trailer containing our Mini Cooper and a golf cart.We always called the rv parks to confirm the size of the site and make sure it was at least 70 feet long. We usually tried to get a pull through.
In most cases we did not need to disconnect the trailer.

We have been to a few locations where the trailer needed to be parked away from the motorhome and this was never a problem. (Put a trailer hitch on the Compass or Renegade and move the empty trailer using that rather than the motorhome).

I like electric brakes but it will require you to have a brake controller in the motorhome that is wired back to the 7 pin trailer plug. This will allow you to have manual brake control of the trailer brakes if needed (an unlikely occurrence)

An aluminum trailer is less weight, more money, and usually a little more upscale looking. If your coach is rated for 10000 pound towing I would probably recommend a steel trailer.
If the coach is only rated for around 5000, you may need to consider aluminum to stay within your weight requirements.

We loved towing our trailer,

Advantages: it allows you to back up when needed, no modifications, baseplates, or brake units needed to be installed when buying a new car, you can take any vehicle with you as long as it fits on the trailer. The trailer was just as fast to connect and disconnect as the 4 down setup.
Disadvantages: what to do with the trailer in a small site, trims tight corners a little tighter than a 4 down toad. one more thing to store when you are not travelling.

We now tow a Ram pickup 4 down. This was primarily a decision of wanting the full size pickup and less about the convenience or in-convenience of the trailer.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01blueox View Post
Go to rv.net then dingy towing, there is a thread on towing the trailhawk flat 4.
Unfortunately you have to step up to Cherokee to flat tow a trailhawk. Renegade and compass are 4 wheel all the time and don't fit the criteria. Thanks for the answer though, it's appreciated.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #5

Has she driven a Grand Cherokee? My wife wasn’t just happy after we got one, she’s been ecstatic. That’s bonus points.

Next time at the dealer see if they have a 2015 or earlier model sitting around. Don’t even look at 2016 or later. Death wobble issues. Prices should be comparable or less than what your looking at new. Same for flat tow set up vs car trailer.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #6

Pioneer, they have remedied the "death wobble" on the Jeep's you mention, don't remember, the fix, but read it on YouTube.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
Pioneer, they have remedied the "death wobble" on the Jeep's you mention, don't remember, the fix, but read it on YouTube.
Not on the Grand Cherokee. The issue on 2016 and later Grand Cherokee models equipped with electronic power steering has been deemed a non-issue by FCA despite the efforts of many owners who have had direct communication with the company.

Suggest reading the last few posts of the Grand Cherokee Death Wobble thread on this forum before believing a video from You Tube University.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:30 PM   #8

We have a2016 Cherokee trail hawk and have towed it 4 down for 15000 miles. With the Jeep modification we have had no problems. Tows beautifully
dutchstar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchstar10 View Post
We have a2016 Cherokee trail hawk and have towed it 4 down for 15000 miles. With the Jeep modification we have had no problems. Tows beautifully
I donít doubt that one bit.

The Grand Cherokee is a bird of a different feather. Key word being ďGrandĒ.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:05 PM   #10

I'd at least ask her to test drive a Cherokee Trailhawk. My wife was dead set on a Subaru but after getting her into a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk for a test drive, she fell in love.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:28 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ditto norm Mac comments but I use, most of the time , a 20í enclosed trailer w5í tongue. Mostly no issues but some pre calling / google earthing of the campsite is needed. Have not had to unhook many times in 4 years BUT I canít stay everywhere however there is always a close alternative normally at a higher rate
I have now purchased rv lot and am building a port on the east coast so will probably move to a cheap 4down to use in the east as I havenít found the east coast to be as good with the large pull thru!
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:17 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X3....

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjinor View Post
ditto norm mac comments but i use, most of the time , a 20í enclosed trailer w5í tongue. Mostly no issues but some pre calling / google earthing of the campsite is needed. Have not had to unhook many times in 4 years but i canít stay everywhere however there is always a close alternative normally at a higher rate
i have now purchased rv lot and am building a port on the east coast so will probably move to a cheap 4down to use in the east as i havenít found the east coast to be as good with the large pull thru!
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190713_103019.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	257989
Fitztrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:40 PM   #13

A Cherokee is not that much bigger and certain models can be towed 4 down.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:38 AM   #14

I'm sure our household is unique as we both work & buy our own cars. We also rotate on who has to buy the towable car as their daily driver. Choosing a new model that is towable has never been a hassle for us as RVing is both of our hobby. Thinking about your situation makes me wonder if your wife really doesn't like RVing if she wants a specific vehicle bad enough to require purchasing a trailer to haul it behind the RV. Oh, regarding the question you actually asked about, My preference is aluminum 100%.

twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, trailer