Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2005, 04:35 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just returned from trips to irv2 rally an trip to Canada, had three problems.
One major one was the 3" drain pipe into the holding tank in 1/2 bath dropped or popped out of floor fitting causing a smelly situation in the water compartment below. We had returned from the Nat.Rally in PA. the week before an hit alot of hickup highways to an from on that trip. Most of highways in Canada were good but for a few miles, that did me in. I thought the seal was no good couldn't find one at 2 dealers ,but at a CG in Novi they had one.
Pulled toilet an found 3' pipe dropped out of floor fitting, the pipe was really held into the tank with sealent had to use grip pliers to pull pipe up 2" to fit into floor flange that holds toilet to floor an seal. I haven't called Newmar yet to see if they use pipe cement on pipe an floor flange or just let it float within the floor fitting, because of vibrations while travelling. Thanks to the CG owner my pipe now has cement. I checked my other toilet to see if that pipe was dropping an it hadn't. You can use a hooked piece of coat hanger wire an run it up 3" pipe from tank to floor level to see if there is a gap between top of pipe an fitting lip of floor flange where it should butt into flange. I used alot of bleach to get rid of smell an sanitize everything. If you see a halfmoon of toilet paper down in your drain pipe you have a problem in the making.

Next problem lost Todd transfer switch, no have surge protector, but not wired in, but was on board to be..
Found A couple of stiff wires an pushed in switchs to get power into coach, turned off Gen ckt brakers, so no trouble, if someone turned on. Had elect storm in Maine must have taken care of Todds ckt board.

Elect step broke 3/8" bolt, sheared off on gear plate that moves step in an out. Used a 3/8' stainless steel bolt, had to file head of bolt down for clearence between steel plates of moveable gear an mounting plate. Can't just replace bolt have to get new gear plate with bolt mounted to it. Part# 909776000 for a triple step type 25 made by Kwikee. My bolt works just fine, may just have to file head down a little more for better clearence. Bolt on gear plate looks like soft metal must give out from heavy weight on steps when entering coach. I use a step support when parked.

Other than a few problems the trip was GREAT. "007"

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2005, 12:50 PM   #2

007, glad everything worked out for you on your trip, I see you had a few minor problems, it seems like you have a handle on those. I always change out the hardware that comes with the units that we purchase, 90% of the time I change to stainless steel hardware, except when I think a grade 8 hardware is more appropriate. Ed.S

Old 07-21-2005, 01:51 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Now that you mentioned stainless steel hardware ED, my stop strap for drivers door broke loose because they used what looks like phillips wall board screws {rust} to hold strap bracket to wall near floor, need to replace with stainless screws. Thanks for reminding me. "007"
Old 07-22-2005, 12:36 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just a follow up to the toilet problem that I had, the floor flange "SHOULD BE GLUED" to the pipe that enters your waste or black holding tank. Mine wasn't an it dropped below the floor flange causing a complete mess.
I called Newmar to make sure an they said that it should have been glued.
So if you check your pipe an you have a gap between the top of the pipe, into your holding tank, an were its suppose to butt into the floor flange, you may have a mess in the making. The reason I checked is, the pipe not glued may have been for movement of pipe in flange for vibration while traveling down the road. Thats not the case. "007"