Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We recently purchased our Essex from Tom Johnson CW in Marion. Yes, there was some trepidation on our part. We had a great relationship with our local Tiffin dealership, combined with the pile-on views about CW we received from other dealerships.

Our experience to date has been positive. The sale/trade transaction was very fair and handled professionally every step of the way. Their pre-delivery inspection found things I had missed ... and I thought I was the detail freak! We spent 4 or 5 days at their campground, giving us the chance to check out all the systems, with Service being just a short walk away. Their techs were great, helping us work through all of the things we flagged (some self inflicted) and explaining the systems as necessary.
NCRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2017, 10:53 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow, somehow I missed CW buying McGeorge. I am buying my Ventana from them (Delivery mid/late April). Like others have said, the sale process was pretty good (they were the most honest of the many dealers I had been working with).

I am actually located in the Charlotte area, but ended up with McGeorge as they were the closest Newmar dealer to me besides Tom Johnson. I tried TJ, but I never could get them to negotiate a fair price...so we walked. They didn't even seem to care.

And now that McGeorge is gone too, the next closest non-CW Newmar dealer is Atlanta (National Indoor RV). I might as well go to Nappanee for work...

Its getting depressing that there are fewer and fewer indivdual dealers anymore. I guess thats progress, huh?
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:59 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Rich any dealer can do the work, newmar pays them.

Ton J in Marion hes very knowledgeable guys there the fellow Josh that worked on mine was there 12 years
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:49 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
Rich any dealer can do the work, newmar pays them.

Ton J in Marion hes very knowledgeable guys there the fellow Josh that worked on mine was there 12 years
I guess its hit or miss with CW. I really don't have much choice...I am not aware of many MH dealers/repair shops in the Charlotte area (besides CW). Most are 75+ miles away... I am hoping to have minimal issues and use TJ when I have to.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
Wow, somehow I missed CW buying McGeorge. I am buying my Ventana from them (Delivery mid/late April). Like others have said, the sale process was pretty good (they were the most honest of the many dealers I had been working with).

I am actually located in the Charlotte area, but ended up with McGeorge as they were the closest Newmar dealer to me besides Tom Johnson. I tried TJ, but I never could get them to negotiate a fair price...so we walked. They didn't even seem to care.

And now that McGeorge is gone too, the next closest non-CW Newmar dealer is Atlanta (National Indoor RV). I might as well go to Nappanee for work...

Its getting depressing that there are fewer and fewer indivdual dealers anymore. I guess thats progress, huh?
We knew going in buying our American Coach from CW that we would never go back and basically did not have a warranty unless we wanted to drive to Decatur, IN to the factory. We are doing that the first week of August.
We have had very few issues. The few that we have had I have a very good local company take care of them for me.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
...I guess its hit or miss with CW...... !
Great point and I suspect it's the same with other dealers.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Great point and I suspect it's the same with other dealers.
Ha! That is probably true as well!
Old 03-21-2017, 05:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Been shopping for a newer coach for past two weeks, ran across a '09 Ventana, called spoke to Jim Shurtleff, he was helpful getting back with answers to several questions and certain photos.

After going thru several other RV's I decided to make an off subject my inspection. We negotiated a price after a few calls.

When we went there 3 days later (600 mile drive) it wasn't ready, but that was good news not bad. They were doing a complete PDI and it was in their shop but a part needed was due till next day. They fixed a number of things including the tsb's I emailed them.

They put us up in a hotel.

They had finished all other fixes, so it was just a part we were waiting on.

they had it done by 4:15 but it needed to get washed, they held 5 people on overtime to get it cleaned up.

By 6:30 we drove to their camp ground for the nite planning to leave first thing.

That nite one of the slides failed, and we had a flat

Drove to over to the office, they had Josh one of their very good mechanics on it in 15 minutes.

I drove it to the shop a few hundred yards away.

Tire was really my fault, the Tpms sensor I supplied had an O ring that split causing the loss of air, EZ fix

the slide was a control unit, they didn't have one (this was Saturday) tried to borrow one one from a stock unit but didn't match.
He ordered one to be dropped shipped to me in a few days, it's a simple install for me.

I was on my way by 1PM, after 150 miles didn't like the lack of power, I called they put their diesel mechanic on the phone Dean he asked that I check the blue turbo hoses later after cooling down.

One was a bit lose I re-positioned it clamped it tight......that was it!

Boost went to 30psi, it was in the teens

When I saw the dealer was Camping World dealer I had my reservations to be frank.

This was very pleasant experience I give this dealer a HIGH recommend.

Finished trip home this afternoon, we love it!!!!

in cruise at 70 mph like a train on a track (crosswind no effect with comfort steer) south on RT 75

When you say you had 1 of the slides fail can you elaborate? We have the bedroom slide in ours that acts up. It will sometimes go out and in with no problem and other times I can hear the click like it wants to go in or out but nothing happens. We have a trip planned in a couple months and this is high on my priority list to get figured out. Thanks Brian
Old 03-21-2017, 06:22 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

I purchased my CS in November from McGeorge and the salesman recently informed me about the CW purchased. He said they are looking at more dealerships along the I-95 corridor. McGeorge is anticipating keeping the same staff. My salesman was the best part of the purchase and making sure post-sale issues were fixed. This discussion about Tom Johnson gives me some hope. If not, there is always a trip to Nappanee.
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:31 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinOH View Post
When you say you had 1 of the slides fail can you elaborate? We have the bedroom slide in ours that acts up. . Thanks Brian
Ours was an issue with the awning being too tight holding the top from going out.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:00 PM   #25

I use Jason Templin RV Service in Cornelius NC. I live outside Petersburg VA and try yo flow through his location to have work performed. I find him to be knowledgeable, honest, and reasonable. He worked for Tom Johnson and RV World. He performed the PDI when we bought from TJ and he has done our work since. He has just moved into a very nice double bay shop not far off I-77.
He is very knowledgeable of Newmar and AC motorhomes.His number is 908-253-1721
brandon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:37 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks! I live southeast of Charlotte and he is only about an hour from me. I will keep him in mind!

Thanks for the referral.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:09 AM   #27

Quote:
now that CW is public, contact the Ceo
Name Marcus. He is too busy making TV shows to care about CW. you got all the answers you gonna get.

And yes. the salesman and folks aren't happy since CW took over TJs. Tom cared much more for his employees, and customers. That is why he had the rallys every year.

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #28

We purchased our London Aire from TJ Concord in November. Best experience yet. This is our 8th rv. And the techs are the best in the business. Our PDI took over 4 hours to walk through. Very thorough. They asked us to stay the weekend at the campground (they paid) so we could transfer our stuff from old unit and to test everything to ensure no problems. One problem was door lock they fixed immediately. After being back home in richmond for few months we found some minor problems. Took it back and they fixed everything on my list in 2 hours. We have dealt with mcgeorge and service from their perspective means leaving your unit for weeks. We are very pleased with TJ
fegans02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, camping world