Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2017, 06:47 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Talking Tom Johnson Camping World NC

Been shopping for a newer coach for past two weeks, ran across a '09 Ventana, called spoke to Jim Shurtleff, he was helpful getting back with answers to several questions and certain photos.

After going thru several other RV's I decided to make an off subject my inspection. We negotiated a price after a few calls.

When we went there 3 days later (600 mile drive) it wasn't ready, but that was good news not bad. They were doing a complete PDI and it was in their shop but a part needed was due till next day. They fixed a number of things including the tsb's I emailed them.

They put us up in a hotel.

They had finished all other fixes, so it was just a part we were waiting on.

they had it done by 4:15 but it needed to get washed, they held 5 people on overtime to get it cleaned up.

By 6:30 we drove to their camp ground for the nite planning to leave first thing.

That nite one of the slides failed, and we had a flat

Drove to over to the office, they had Josh one of their very good mechanics on it in 15 minutes.

I drove it to the shop a few hundred yards away.

Tire was really my fault, the Tpms sensor I supplied had an O ring that split causing the loss of air, EZ fix

the slide was a control unit, they didn't have one (this was Saturday) tried to borrow one one from a stock unit but didn't match.
He ordered one to be dropped shipped to me in a few days, it's a simple install for me.

I was on my way by 1PM, after 150 miles didn't like the lack of power, I called they put their diesel mechanic on the phone Dean he asked that I check the blue turbo hoses later after cooling down.

One was a bit lose I re-positioned it clamped it tight......that was it!

Boost went to 30psi, it was in the teens

When I saw the dealer was Camping World dealer I had my reservations to be frank.

This was very pleasant experience I give this dealer a HIGH recommend.

Finished trip home this afternoon, we love it!!!!

in cruise at 70 mph like a train on a track (crosswind no effect with comfort steer) south on RT 75

jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2017, 06:51 PM   #2

It certainly sounds like they stood behind the product, but their PDI inspection process wasn't so good. Anyway, congrats on the new unit.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
Been shopping for a newer coach for past two weeks, ran across a '09 Ventana, called spoke to Jim Shurtleff, he was helpful getting back with answers to several questions and certain photos.

After going thru several other RV's I decided to make an off subject my inspection. We negotiated a price after a few calls.

When we went there 3 days later (600 mile drive) it wasn't ready, but that was good news not bad. They were doing a complete PDI and it was in their shop but a part needed was due till next day. They fixed a number of things including the tsb's I emailed them.

They put us up in a hotel.

They had finished all other fixes, so it was just a part we were waiting on.

they had it done by 4:15 but it needed to get washed, they held 5 people on overtime to get it cleaned up.

By 6:30 we drove to their camp ground for the nite planning to leave first thing.

That nite one of the slides failed, and we had a flat

Drove to over to the office, they had Josh one of their very good mechanics on it in 15 minutes.

I drove it to the shop a few hundred yards away.

Tire was really my fault, the Tpms sensor I supplied had an O ring that split causing the loss of air, EZ fix

the slide was a control unit, they didn't have one (this was Saturday) tried to borrow one one from a stock unit but didn't match.
He ordered one to be dropped shipped to me in a few days, it's a simple install for me.

I was on my way by 1PM, after 150 miles didn't like the lack of power, I called they put their diesel mechanic on the phone Dean he asked that I check the blue turbo hoses later after cooling down.

One was a bit lose I re-positioned it clamped it tight......that was it!

Boost went to 30psi, it was in the teens

When I saw the dealer was Camping World dealer I had my reservations to be frank.

This was very pleasant experience I give this dealer a HIGH recommend.

Finished trip home this afternoon, we love it!!!!

in cruise at 70 mph like a train on a track (crosswind no effect with comfort steer) south on RT 75

Thanks for sharing such a positive experience with a dealership. There seems to be a lot of mixed reviews on Camping World's service departments and it looks like the one at Tom Johnson's was very concerned about your satisfaction. Newmar typically doesn't enroll Camping Worlds as a Newmar dealer and in fact, there was a lot of speculation that Newmar would drop Johnson's after the sale. Their service department must know that to be a Newmar dealer they need to be first rate and it sounds like your experience was fantastic. Enjoy your coach!
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:03 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
It certainly sounds like they stood behind the product, but their PDI inspection process wasn't so good. Anyway, congrats on the new unit.

I think you miss understood, it was Excellent
Old 03-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
My take was different on the Op's message. It sounds like the PDI was very thorough and it took longer then expected because they found issues that needed to be addressed, which they did.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #6

Jimbo, at which Tom Johnson's CW did you have your positive experience, Concord or Marion?
HWCJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:51 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Marion
Old 03-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
Marion
Makes all the difference. Marion is head and shoulders above Concord store. And they have a very nice CG, and Rally park.

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:00 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad you had a good experience. We bought our current rig at TJ's well before CW bought them and their operation (Concord) was first rate. However, I have talked to many coach owners since the CW acquisition and none have been happy with the service. Maybe they are turning that around.

I met a fellow in Myrtle Beach two weeks ago with a new King Aire he bought from CW/TJ's. I was surprised to see that Newmar was still keeping them on as a dealer. CW just purchased another Newmar dealer in Richmond, VA, McGeorge Rolling Hills. They already have a sketchy reputation so will be interesting to see if it gets better or worse under CW ownership.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:41 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
CW just purchased another Newmar dealer in Richmond, VA, McGeorge Rolling Hills. They already have a sketchy reputation so will be interesting to see if it gets better or worse under CW ownership.
I don't think even CW could make that dealership any worse than it was...

Tried several times to do business with those knuckleheads...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:53 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsbeach View Post
I don't think even CW could make that dealership any worse than it was...

Tried several times to do business with those knuckleheads...
Hey Bob. My only encounter with them was when we had the 2002 Journey. I had a simple question for their service department and it was laughable how difficult it was to get an answer. They actually refused to allow me to speak to a tech or anyone with any knowledge of the coach. I left in absolute amazement and disgust.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:22 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
now that CW is public, contact the Ceo
Old 03-20-2017, 06:56 AM   #13

jimbo glad everything worked out for you.We purchased our coach from them,and couldn't be more pleased.Service after the sale was top rate.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:35 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We purchased from the Marion location and were less than impressed with their service dept. Even so far as one of the mechanics cluing us in on the fact that they all hate working for CW.
Our sale went smooth but other than that, I'm never going back.
The only reason we bought from them was our coach was Tom Johnson bought stock and they needed to move it. We got a stellar price and they gave us more for our trade than it was worth.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, camping world