Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2014, 07:18 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Top 3 Reoccurring Problems?

I currently have a Phaeton. Am looking into Newmars (likely a new Ventana).

Tiffin is pretty well known for cracking roof rails, rotted wet bays, slide out floor plywood replacement & sidewall cracks under DS bedroom slide. They fix them all without a problem; I'm just wondering about other manufactures (if they have these kinds of issues and whether the manufacturer fixes them without hassle. I think Winni has/had windshield frame rust issues.).

What are the most troublesome problems in the Ventana & Dutchstars?

btw... Not bashing Tiffin; YRMV. Just need some feedback on Newmar..

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #2

traveldawg

I don't know about other makes, but here are the "top 3 reoccurring problems" I've had with my Safari in the 13 years, (105k miles), that I've owned it:
1.) Alternator failure, (3 times).
2.) Allison transmission electronic failure, (twice).
3.) Rusted/leaking muffler, (twice).

BTW, that's not counting the 160 + times it had to be refilled with diesel, the 18 oil changes, the 2 sets of 6 tires that had to be replaced twice, and the set of 6 batteries that were replaced once in '07.

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara, 250hp 3126 Cat,
132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

Well to start off all motorhomes have problems, try driving your house down the road and see if you have any problems.

I'm on my 4th Winnebago and they all had problems but were fixed by either dealers or the manufacturer. One thing about Winnebago' is that there factory support is super from their staff to getting all manuals and diagrams online. I had a problem with my new coach, the gas furnace was putting out propane smell and was fixed with no problems. Sorry but I like Winnebago's and you can always get parts for them. Go to Forest City Iowa and take the tour.

As far as Neumar I can only tell you about a friend of mine that just bought a Canyon Star 39 footer. He has had the following problems:

1 -The rear heater duct was not attached
2 -There was a water leak under the kitchen sink
3 -There was no operators manual with the new coach.
4 - There was a crimped water line behind washing machine
5 - There is a problem with his AC/Heat pumps that don't
work plus a power panel problem.

In closing I think we will all have problems of some type with our rolling homes whether it be minor, major or a coach that was built on a Friday @ 4:30PM. Good luck with your choice.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 2005 Newmar, and the only problems this MH has had involve typical stuff like new inverter, occasional plumbing problem, new jack control board, etc. Nothing major.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
I currently have a Phaeton. Am looking into Newmars (likely a new Ventana).

Tiffin is pretty well known for cracking roof rails, rotted wet bays, slide out floor plywood replacement & sidewall cracks under DS bedroom slide. They fix them all without a problem; I'm just wondering about other manufactures (if they have these kinds of issues and whether the manufacturer fixes them without hassle. I think Winni has/had windshield frame rust issues.).

What are the most troublesome problems in the Ventana & Dutchstars?

btw... Not bashing Tiffin; YRMV. Just need some feedback on Newmar..

Thanks.
traveldawg,
If you already own a MH you know that they all will occasionally have something break or not work right. I'm on my second Newmar and depending on the year you're looking at buying it may or may not have a problem. The one thing I can tell you from personal experience is that Newmar, like Tiffin stands behind their product. My 08 MADP has a known problem, the clearcoat on the roof radius is peeling. I called them, they said no problem, due to the age of the MH it would cost $1,200.00 to sand, repaint and re-clear where the sidewall and roof meet. To me that's a bargain and they'll do it in 3 days. If you're looking at buying a used model get the VIN, call Newmar and they'll tell you the history.
Hope this helps and I hope to see you in the Newmar family soon.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:42 PM   #6

I have owned 4 newmar products and have yet to have any serious problem with any of them the last on is a4302 Mountain Aire w/ tag
myliladog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:55 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've only owned 2 Newmar's and while I keep looking at new 43' ones I really don't have any complaints with ours other than one slide that hangs up when coming in and that appears to be a misplaced roller that an authorized Newmar dealer did. Took it to them as it wasn't working right, they reinforced the slide bottom and put the roller back in the wrong place so now it tries to go up over a screw head. I even replaced the motor ($480 off eBay), still the same problem.
Our batteries lasted one month short of 10 years.
Tires went 8 years.
Replaced one alternator last year.
Both TV's have been switched over to LCD in front and LED in back.
Haven't even broken a belt.
Roof (BriteTek) is still looking great.
Did have to replace the slide covers with Tough Top ones and the main awning after a unexpected gully washer in Fresno a couple years ago.
The refer cooling unit went out so got an Amish one and installed it
DW wanted recliners rather than the Hide A Bed, so got three La Z Boy recliner/rockers and replaced the overstuffed recliner/rocker too.
At this rate I'm afraid this one might just last us till we quit RV'ing!

I should also add that ours came with a 12,000# front axle but weighed 12,050 before we loaded it or got aboard. Newmar had Spartan replace the front axle with a 14,600# unit.
Also, check on modifications/changes. Most companies will not make them, Newmar will. We had them remove two walls and a pocket door, then substitute a different vanity and countertops. Try that with Entegra or Tiffin, very doubtful they'll do it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #8

Of the 6 replies to this thread thus far, 3 have reported a total of 11 problems with Newmar coaches:

Those reported problems include:
A bad inverter, jack control board, refrigerator, alternator, and a $480 slide motor.....
Plus: Occasional plumbing problems... a $1,200 peeling clear coat...a front axle that was not heavy enough...a heater duct that was not attached...AC/Heat pumps that didn't work....and a power panel problem.

IMO that is not a great endorsement for Newmar!

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #9

Safari and Monaco have both been know for far worse problems then the Newmar minor issues. Let's start with rear suspension problems with their Roadmaster chassis. With our 30 plus years of RVing I can't think of a coach company with a better reputation. 8 years on our Newmar Essex, Newmar did a complete fiberglass replacement and new paint. Most coaches use the same products so all will have some issues. Tom 04 Essex
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
I don't know about other makes, but here are the "top 3 reoccurring problems" I've had with my Safari in the 13 years . . .
OP asked about Newmars, not Safaris. Why not post your coach info on the appropriate forum?
TechWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
OP asked about Newmars, not Safaris. Why not post your coach info on the appropriate forum?
TechWriter
I posted that info here because the subject of this thread is "The top 3 Reoccurring Problems?".

Do you also think that Tom-NC's comments about his Winnebago are not appropriate on this forum?

BTW, which of the 16 iRV2 owner's forums is the "appropriate forum"?

Wondering?

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
I have 43' Ventana that will be a year old next month. My problems include the following in the order they occurred.

1 Roof leak in bedroom roof while on dealers lot. dealer said bolt on bedroom ac was the problem
1b windshield wiper came apart driving home - replaced
2 refrigerator door lock not staying locked - repaired
3 side camera not working - replaced
4 windshield shade not working - wire came loose, repaired
5 carbon monoxide detector didn't work - replaced
6 compartment door hard to get unlatched - repaired latch
7 floor grout cracking - removed and replaced
8 side view mirrors keep falling over - used locktite to help keep tighter
9 sleep number mattress pump not working - replaced mattress
10 tape on roof cap joint came off - replaced
11 cruise and wipers quit working for one half hour- hasn't happened again
12 dealer installed surge protector shorted out - removed
13 mud flap fell down on one side - repaired
14 number 2 air conditioner quit working - replaced
15 bedroom ac very loud - installed noise dampening package to correct
16 hair line cracks in front cap around clearance lights - to get repaired
17 bedroom slideout shaft broke - to get repaired
18 small bubbles on rear cap - to get it inspected to determine solution
millerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
IMO that is not a great endorsement for Newmar!
Actually it IS, because it shows that problems occur, BUT NEWMAR stands behind their product.

Our overweight front axle was due to options we ordered and getting the last chassis with the 12,000# axle before Newmar switching over to a chassis with the 13,200# axle.

Seems like those of us that have and do own them like them and the service Newmar has given us.

That should certainly count for more than someone "sniping" from the sidelines.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Actually it IS, because it shows that problems occur, BUT NEWMAR stands behind their product.

Our overweight front axle was due to options we ordered and getting the last chassis with the 12,000# axle before Newmar switching over to a chassis with the 13,200# axle.

Seems like those of us that have and do own them like them and the service Newmar has given us.

That should certainly count for more than someone "sniping" from the sidelines.
X2 Mr_D