Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #1

Topping off diesel fuel

When filling the tank the fuel shuts off when it still needs 10 to 15 gallons for the tank to be close to being full. I fill fuel using the slow handle setting but still have the problem. Recently, I inadvertently left the generator running while I was filling the tank and was surprised that the tank filled without cutting off. I'm not sure if leaving the gen set running is okay but since it is diesel fuel it seems there would be less chance, if any, of an explosion caused by running the generator. It sure beats trying to slowly coax another 10 to 15 gallons in the fuel tank.

I know that venting is likely the problem but haven't been able to resolve that issue.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I have not tried it myself yet but I recently read here where some folks deploy their jacks on the fueling side to raise it up a bit and allow for improved ventilation during refueling.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #3

Check the vent hose on the fill neck (in the wheel well) and make sure it doesn't have a sag in it that can trap fuel and block the vent. I had to zip tie my hose up so that didn't happen and it fixed all my fueling issues.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragRacer68 View Post
Check the vent hose on the fill neck (in the wheel well) and make sure it doesn't have a sag in it that can trap fuel and block the vent. I had to zip tie my hose up so that didn't happen and it fixed all my fueling issues.
DragRacer
I was able to eliminate the vent hose sag by disconnecting the hose, (where it connects to a fitting on my fill tube, up near the fuel tank/cap opening).... cutting 5" of extra vent hose off and reinstalling the hose.
The last 15-20 galions now flow in as fast as 1st 60+ gal always did.
My only regret is that I didn't eliminate the sag 12 years, (90k miles), ago.
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
After the last fill ups I almost wish mine would quit 10 gal before full instead of spilling fuel out of the neck.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You probably have duel fill, fill on both sides of coach. Remove the cap on the opposite side and fuel the rig. This will allow air to vent easily as air pressure is what triggers fill nozzle to shut off.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
You probably have duel fill, fill on both sides of coach. Remove the cap on the opposite side and fuel the rig. This will allow air to vent easily as air pressure is what triggers fill nozzle to shut off.
t55watson
Fuel being pushed up the vent hose by the air escaping the tank as it fills is what triggers fill the nozzle to shut off.
A sag/droop/low point in that vent hose retains fuel, (like a p-trap holds water).
BTW, there is only one fuel fill on my coach, (and many others).
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleychief View Post
After the last fill ups I almost wish mine would quit 10 gal before full instead of spilling fuel out of the neck.
harleychief
Since I fixed my vent hose I only have the "spilling fuel out of the neck problem" if/when I use a diesel pump with the large diameter, (aka: fast flowing high volume), pump nozzle.....(most fuel stops have a least one pump with a smaller diameter nozzle).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:22 AM   #8

Quote:

I would NOT recommend doing that. Tried it a couple times. It doesn't trigger the fuel nozzle to shut off when full and fuel will start spraying out the other side of the coach with the cap off.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #9

Depending on whether I'm using the truck lanes, or auto lanes will depend on how much push back I get. With the high speed pumps on the truck aisles you'll get a lot of foam that'll trigger the shut off. I just slow it way down after the 1st shut off and cram the diesel in.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #10

Ramets had a good point - diesel foams. A lot. I have driven diesel cars for a few years, and I always wait a bit after filling, then top off and get a good deal more in. The process can be repeated. Diesel does not expand as much as gasoline with temperature changes, so you can have a smaller air space at the top of a tank. I suspect that the running generator provided a constant vibration that helped move the bubbles out of the fuel, reducing the foam.
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #11

Quote:
yes that works but diesel foams real bad no matter what u do
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragRacer68 View Post
I would NOT recommend doing that. Tried it a couple times. It doesn't trigger the fuel nozzle to shut off when full and fuel will start spraying out the other side of the coach with the cap off.
I have never found that to be true.I do the 2 cap off all the time and the nozzle trips as per normal? at least on mine it does
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never owning a diesel is it possible for the foam that forms when filling the tank not cause the trip of fuel hose not to react the same as when it receives the solid fuel at its nozzle.
Never had that problem with regular gas because it doesn't foam.
Bounder's use to have two fills both sides.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #14

I am having trouble filling part of the times, I don't know why. Is it possible the fuel hose could be colapsing. At the truck pump I couldn't sqeesze the handle slow enough to get fuel in without it kicking off. both sides did it. I took the cap off the other side and still no luck. After 15 minutes and 10 gal. finally in I went to the rv island. Same problem. After a little while the fuel started flowing. The last fill up I had no problem. I checked the inlet hoses this morning and they go straight in the tank. ?????
dmsatori is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel