Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #1

TORN on tag axle order ....?

so we are putting together an order for a 40' ventana. Seems like a lot of bang for the buck and you get the tag axle @ 40'.

question is, do you think the 40' tag axle ventana is a little underpowered for its size & weight? we've been considering going with the dutch star instead. i know power is subjective and can depend on where you're driving and towing, etc etc. So im east coast mostly and will do the occasional west coast trip. And I like to tow a trailer regularly to bring motorcycles. but Im also thinking the future and assuming with this coach, it will offer us more opportunities to go other places and tow other stuff and I just want to be prepared for anything.

Id be getting the freightliner chassis on both. So they are both 1250ft lb torque, both have the XCR chassis, BOTH have the allison 3000 trans and are ISL9 motors. But the dutch star is the 450HP w/side radiator and the ventana is the 400HP tuned version.

any issues?
repsolracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #2

Horsepower is like solar watts or dollar bills, you can never have too much.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:01 PM   #3

I compared the Ventana & DS as well and plenty of test drives. I found zero power difference between the two same/same models. Tipping point for DS for me was things unique to me.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The added weight of the DS, probably completely cancel out the additional 50hp.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I sure wouldn’t make the decision based on the 50 HP spec.

The side radiator will take away storage and move the def tank...the reason to buy a DutchStar is for things like..more floor, ifs, Girard awnings, etc.. I don’t think you’ll ever get the yearning to match a Ventana against a DutchStar in a race.

We pull a Jeep 4-dr.

When on normal grades...I have no problems with power. Climbing 7% grades...we do slow down. But I’m usually behind 18 wheelers that are struggling even more than I am.

Yes...a 40ft tag axle is awesome. We love it.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #6
Community Moderator

If it were me, I would go for the side radiator Dutch Star.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:47 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
We own a 4018 DS and believe me it’s not the fastest coach up a 7% grade. Doesn’t really matter as long as you get to the top. Awful nice coach on the inside and really like the stability of the tag.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #8

Do a search on side vs rear radiators, you will find most high end coaches use side radiators for a reason. The tag will probably increase your ccc substantially, maybe not important now, but if you ever go full time, could be a factor.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:37 PM   #9
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Have driven both. As previously stated with the added weight I found the power “feel” was the same. Dutch Stars have some luxury items that are nice to have. For us the option we wish we had in our new Ventana is heated floors. But with our budget, the extra 60-70k wasn’t worth it.

One odd thing I found, and this is a personal preference, I did not find the Independant suspension to my liking. Maybe with a shock change that would be different. We will be changing the shocks on our Ventana also. I have found that after market shocks improve the drivability quite a bit.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:40 PM   #10

In another few days we will hit the 1 year mark in our Ventana. We full time and tow a 24' enclosed (Harley plus car). The 400hp with rear radiator does great as far as I'm concerned.

We have full tile and three a/c units, other options are pretty minor. Heated floors would be nice however if I run my furnace instead of the heat pumps my tile floors warm up nicely anyway.

For us this has been the perfect coach.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #11

Ventana Floors

The only thing I don't like in my 2017 Ventana 4002 is what I would call the "carpet trim" on the edge of the slide floor. I would rather have tile all the way because I can see that carpet becoming a problem in the future getting hung up coming back in and getting folded underneath the FWS. and its another thing to have to have to clean with a carpet cleaner machine. But the tag axle is great. Stable and comfortable and great to drive.
2017 Prevost Marathon #1250
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk w/AF1 and Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow System
Orinda, CA
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:42 PM   #12

Ventana will get you there just fine. I'm in the west have yet to see one sitting on the side of the road on a steep uphill grade
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:42 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"repsolracer2"......The base weight of the DS is almost 4500 pounds heavier than the Ventana. The 50 extra HP is a wash with that additional weight. The important issue is the torque. In a side by side comparison on a 6%-7% grade, my guess, the Ventana would be slightly faster, since they both have 1250 pounds of torque.

That additional 4500 pounds on the Dutch Star relate to more goodies, all tile flooring and side radiator
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:03 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Just finished first 1000 miles on 2019 Spartan Ventana 4037, trip from Pa to SC and back. Way down just pulling JEEP Wrangler, way back Jeep and Goft Cart on hydra lift. Can't say what DS would be like, but not one issue with amount of power. That being said if money isn't an issue more is always better.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote