Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2019, 06:15 AM   #1

Tough night watching a movie

Dw wanted to watch a movie so I put in a dvd in the DVD player in the av cabinet over drivers seat. Movie wouldn’t play and heard a clicking sound coming from the DVD player. I decided to swap out the DVD player from the bedroom. The hdmi cable was really stuck to the rear of the player and as I pulled harder the end came off the hdmi cable and the DVD player fell out of my hand and broke the screen on my new tst tire monitor system that was on the dash. Really? You can’t make this stuff up. I was so upset I had to go for a walk. When I returned dw asked if I was ok. When I said no she said don’t worry about it as it is only money and we are blessed to have this coach. Sound advice. Replacing the tire monitor screen is easy. Not so much with replacing the hdmi cable. Has anyone done this? Was also considering a wireless DVD player if there is such a thing but wasn’t sure how I would connect it to the home theater receiver or tv. Thanks for any suggestions.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2019, 06:21 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
Dw wanted to watch a movie so I put in a dvd in the DVD player in the av cabinet over drivers seat. Movie wouldn’t play and heard a clicking sound coming from the DVD player. I decided to swap out the DVD player from the bedroom. The hdmi cable was really stuck to the rear of the player and as I pulled harder the end came off the hdmi cable and the DVD player fell out of my hand and broke the screen on my new tst tire monitor system that was on the dash. Really? You can’t make this stuff up. I was so upset I had to go for a walk. When I returned dw asked if I was ok. When I said no she said don’t worry about it as it is only money and we are blessed to have this coach. Sound advice. Replacing the tire monitor screen is easy. Not so much with replacing the hdmi cable. Has anyone done this? Was also considering a wireless DVD player if there is such a thing but wasn’t sure how I would connect it to the home theater receiver or tv. Thanks for any suggestions.

Not clear, was it the bedroom HDMI cable?
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:49 AM   #3

No. It was hdmi cable in av cabinet over drivers seat.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:59 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
No. It was hdmi cable in av cabinet over drivers seat.

Look up wireless HDMI transmitters, basically a HDMI cable gores to a transmitter on both ends of the circuit. I understand they work well. I tried unsuccessfully to install a new HDMI end, pretty difficult.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:37 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Look up wireless HDMI transmitters, basically a HDMI cable gores to a transmitter on both ends of the circuit. I understand they work well. I tried unsuccessfully to install a new HDMI end, pretty difficult.
X2, had the same issue with my 2013. Ended up going wireless and never had a problem.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
X2, had the same issue with my 2013. Ended up going wireless and never had a problem.

My surround receiver sits below the DVD player. Can I run a hdmi cable from the wireless DVD player to the receiver and then stream wirelessly to tv? As you can tell I am not familiar with electronics.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:45 AM   #7

Gosh, I’m sorry, yet relieved to hear this kinda crap happens to others. I was feeling so lonely; thinking “why me?” ALL THE TIME! ;-)

This deal with the HDMI cable has me SO mad, because those dang things are notorious for losing their heads!!! I HATE RUNNING THOSE THINGS ANYWHERE!!!!

So, when my friend and I poured over the new 2019 DS before purchasing, I remember him pointing out and verifying that they run all CAT6 cables, with the HDMI BALUN on the end. If you don’t know that that is, it’s basically an adaptor that converts the normal plug on the CAT6 to and HDMI plug.

I‘m not sure when they started doing this, but really hope you’rafter that, because making the end swap would be a piece of cake.

That said, pulling a new CAT6 cable would be a TON easier, in cases like this. And, perhaps you can see if Newmar pre-wired a dead run anyways.

I hope so...good luck and let me/us know!
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Don't ask me how I know…..but I will tell you that HDMI cables ARE NOT repairable. I searched for months trying to find someone who could do it. Obviously, they connect ends to these things, but I found every company uses different color codes and you just can't match them up. Mine broke in the bedroom. I would have had to pull a cable the length of the coach. I decided to just use the wireless transmitter, which worked well.

I had a lot of issues with the HDMI cables coming loose in my two splitters on my previous coach. I got to the point I wanted to burn the coach down. I finally found a locking device for them. The biggest design flaw of the HDMI cable is that it doesn't lock in.

So glad to see my new coach has the Cat6 cable as Captain Gizmo mentioned above. I think they might have gone to the Cat6 in 2016. Your repair may be easy.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #9

Good news. Went into the av cabinet to try to trace the bad wire and found that it was only a three foot wire from the DVD player to a splitter in the av cabinet. Got a break. Thanks for all the posts about going wireless. That was going to be my next step.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:50 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I felt like Captain Gismo this summer when my front mounted TV stopped showing a picture. I was disgusted but consoled with the thought that I had the excuse to toss Newmar's entertainment installation and do the 4K UHD system I wanted.

On a rainy day a week later I decided to disassemble the system and discovered that the HDMI cables were so short that I could not remove the worlds cheapest ($739 Sony Surround Sound system option) receiver from the overhead cabinet. I used an inspection mirror and flashlight to see what is wrong and discovered that a cable had pulled out of an HDMI cable connected to the Sony receiver. What a shock to find out that the ($946 HI Definition TV cables option) was the worlds cheapest and short length HDMI cables that lacked at least a soldered connection to the plugs.

Fortunately, I found some $29 HDMI cables I had stashed in the RV and replaced the bad cable and everything worked again. I guess that high end home entertainment systems are not the forte of Newmar and the designers and installers don't like the folks that can afford the RVs they make. Therefore, the installation quality doesn't matter since it is not their RV. My Bay Star was built when Newmar was making 3 per day.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote