Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Another vote for the Ford Edge, which I just bought to replace my Escape. The newer model Escapes are not tow-able 4 down. I haven't set up the Edge yet and I did find out that if it has the Adaptive Cruise Control (with the radar) then the Demco Base plate (maybe all makes) can not be used with the Edge. Nice driving car and the V-6 is great! Make sure you get the right setup.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not know how big your Drift boat is but if it is small enough you can tow several models of pickup truck and carry the boat atop the truck.

That way you are not double towing

But you have to be able to CARRY the boat by hand into the water

I have seen at least one rig that was able to pull a boat trailer (small) onto the bed of a pick up using an electric winch and properly secure it for single-towing behind a motor home.

For cars... I like JEEP.. First in a Bang for the Buck contest (how much fun/cost) Jeep has a tendency to win.. ANd the MANUAL transfer types can often be towed 4 down by simply placing it in neutral

The fuse pull on vehicles needing it is simple they sell a way way overpriced kit where you install a switch in the dash route the wire and pull the fuse and plug in the thing that comes with the switch.. The fuse then plugs into the other thing (Fuse holder) and you now TOGGLE the fuse.. NOTE.. "Hide" the switch and it's an anti-theft device.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:55 PM   #17
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I looked at the Jeep but it is not very comfortable and has a poor reliability rating according to Consumer Reports. The V-6 Terrain/Equinox might be a possibility.

We've had two Jeep Wranglers (2008 and 2012). No issues with either. They are great toad vehicles. Just put the transfer case in neutral and the trans in gear. Both the automatic and the manual are flat towable.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:15 PM   #18

Hey John,

Blue Ox does not show a base plate for the Edge which may or may not mean anything, as someone else may but they are showing one for the Chevy Traverse which seems in the same category. Let us know how you work that out? I'm now leaning towards the Traverse but still think the Jeep Cherokee Limited may work.
inspite of it's lackluster record.

Thanks Everyone,

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff426 View Post
Hey John,

Blue Ox does not show a base plate for the Edge which may or may not mean anything, as someone else may but they are showing one for the Chevy Traverse which seems in the same category. Let us know how you work that out? I'm now leaning towards the Traverse but still think the Jeep Cherokee Limited may work.
inspite of it's lackluster record.

Thanks Everyone,

Jeff and Lynn
I talked to Blue Ox and they are waiting for the first 2015 Edge to come in for a fitting. It is too new for it to be in stock yet.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:05 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Jeff --

I have to say that we have been extremely pleased with our CR-Vs -- have now had three of them and bought them solely because of the accolades people have given them on iRV2. My recommendation -- admittedly biased but only because of perfect experience -- is to do what SkyBoss and I do -- get yourself a '13 or '14 CR-V. We use Air Force One and it has been flawless. We love the weight, comfort, mileage, easy tow ability and look of the CR-V and have never second guessed our decision. Resale value is fabulous.

I am a car guy and cannot remember when I have kept a car much past 15-20,000 miles without having to have something new. Not so with our CR-V. We have just under 42,000 miles now and I have no itch to do anything other than run it and enjoy it. We got the EX-L AWD version, and I loaded it as I could: Roof rack, cross bars, towing hitch (for our bikes), spoiler, integrated mud guards, 3M clear bra for the nose, bumper, hood and mirrors. Good investments, all.

Very, very pleased with this vehicle and am only bummed that we cannot have a '15 due to the CVT transmission.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:09 PM   #21

But you can't tow 2000+ lbs with it.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:39 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Hey Jeff - We're firmly in the Honda camp when it comes to dependability, utility, and resale. We've towed a 2003 Honda Element (while living in Alaska) and currently tow a 2009 Honda Pilot. Both were / are AWD automatics, and tow 4 wheels down. The Element was Honda-approved for flat towing, but not the Pilot. We chose to tow a Pilot based on previous experience of others, that Blue Ox makes a base plate, and I have a friend who's a certified Honda mechanic . After 16,000 towing miles, there are no ill effects. I change the transmission fluid with every oil change (takes 10 minutes), per my Honda mechanic's recommendation. The Pilot is an excellent toad. Besides AWD and automatic, it has a cavernous interior, seats 8 if needed, tows 4500 #, we've carried 2 BWCA canoes on the roof, it's a comfortable ride and gets good mileage (26 mpg last weekend along the Great River Road). In 40,000 miles of ownership, I've spent nothing outside of fluid changes.
That said, we purchased a 2014 CR-V in December, the last of the towable CR-Vs. I'm with Deek on the value of the CR-V, as it's an exceptional all-around vehicle. I've not yet had the time to add the baseplate, wiring and hitch (for bikes), but will soon. Until then, it sits in the garage...
We all develop our preferences based, in part, on personal and others experience. At last count, we've owned 40+ cars (including 5 Hondas and 2 Acuras) in our 32 years of marriage (she still keeps me around), and we've come to place a high value Honda reliability. To each his / her own. There are many good towable vehicles out there. Find one you enjoy driving, whatever your criteria!!
zalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:53 AM   #23

We been towing our 2010 Ford Edge since new and have had zero issues. We find it easy to hook up and with the keypad entry we can set the tranny in neutral, turn off the key and lock the door for travelling without another set of keys. With this feature you can carry items in the car that are locked in. Hope this helps...
Old 05-15-2015, 07:08 AM   #24

Good Morning,

So we have put the Edge on the list, as of yesterday blue Ox did not have a baseplate for the 2015. John and others are looking into this as well. Deek, we really liked the CRV and have continued to look for a 2014 but they seem scarce. The issue for those was the rack we wanted to put on the roof to carry the paddleboards but we have alternatives for that now, so we'll keep looking at those. Today Lynn is looking at the Chevy Traverse and the Ford Edge. we'll see what comes back.
I'm sure everyone is benefiting from this feedback, I sure am and thank you!!
Jeff
Old 05-15-2015, 08:32 AM   #25

Good Morning,

For all of us potential Ford Edge Supporters, the Blue Ox Factory has said that they would have a stock number for a baseplate by close of business today or Monday at the latest which means for the Edge Titanium. The Edge Sport Base Plate is still not available. There you go

Jeff
Old 05-15-2015, 11:18 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Jeff... you're very welcome for the tutorial...using correct terminology keeps everyone on subject.

Quote:
The V-6 Terrain/Equinox might be a possibility.
Sorry, but all versions of the Terrain/Equinox only have a 1500 lb tow limit....and I believe this holds true also for the Honda CRV.

The Traverse is the next step up from the Terrain, and most DPs have a 10,000 lb tow limit....so you are pretty much wide open to just about any toad that is 4-down capable. The GMC Envoy and Buick Enclave are sisters of the Traverse but with more accessories and options (and a higher price, of course). All are excellent toads.

Hope this helps..

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post

Sorry, but all versions of the Terrain/Equinox only have a 1500 lb tow limit....and I believe this holds true also for the Honda CRV.

Ron
You are wrong! You should read the GMC Trailering Guide, page 17. It is 3500 lbs for the V-6.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
You are wrong! You should read the GMC Trailering Guide, page 17. It is 3500 lbs for the V-6.
I don't know what to tell you. I have a Terrain and the owner's manual (for both the 4cyl and 6cyl) says the towing limit is 1500 lbs.
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow