Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2015, 09:54 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tow Haul Mode in Canyon Star 3920

We have owned our "new to us" 2012 Newmar Canyon Star 3920 for a few months now. I've never used the Tow Haul mode feature as I'm not sure what it does exactly. If any of you can enlighten us, that would be great. We have a 2003 Subaru Forester toad that we almost always have when we are using the RV. Thanks in advance!!!
Iggyval is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I had my Ford v10 Class A, I used the Tow Haul mode whenever I was descending steep grades. You can tap on the brake and it automatically downshifted and used engine braking to slow the RV down, reducing the amount of braking needed and saving the brakes. I also used it when I was in traffic to help slow me down without having to step on the brakes all the time.
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:41 AM   #3

Ditto on tomakat's post about slowing down. I used the towhaul in my Baystar on a recent trip in Colorado mountains. It uses engine braking to slow you on the downgrades.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:57 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Iggyval...We have a '13 Canyon Star 3940 and love the coach. As with you, we are also typically traveling with our toad hooked up. As others have mentioned the Tow/Haul mode is useful while descending fairly steep grades but don't overlook what it might also do for you while going up steeper grades, especially the longer ones. We use ours on occasion when the road ahead looks a little more challenging than the typical gentle up and down grades. The one bit of advice I can think of is not to be afraid of trying it out, that is, experiment with it. You will feel the engine/transmission combination shifting a little differently. While the engine may sound a little different due to the point at which the transmission shifts you can read the Ford Chassis section of this website where many others have discussed this and said that these components have been designed to perform accordingly. As you know by now it is not uncommon to hear various engine noises in a gas coach. The tow/haul mode may provide you with a little different orchestration of these noises but, supposedly, they're all working together to deliver the ride and performance needed to keep you moving with improved control of your motorhome.
Give it a try from time to time and enjoy the ride. Safe travels!

Tags
tow