Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tow Vehicle battery saver switch

We are having a Blue Ox tow bar hooked up to our motor home (1999 dutch star dp. We will be towing a 2002 trail blazer. The Blue oz dealer installing it said. He can not find a battery cut off switch kit, because our fuses in our 2002 trail blazer are 40 amp. All he can find are kits that go up to 20 amp. I hope this makes sense. Not sure of all the technical names. But can anyone help or have had this problem, or how to solve it?? I guess for now I have to pull the fuses everytime we tow it. Thanks everyone
Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
cwg

Google the Battery Brain platinum edition online and it won't matter what fuse system your vehicle has. I have it as well as several others who have purchased it. Excellent product and works from a key fob. Also serves as a theft deterrent as it will disable a vehicle if you wish. When you want. Good luck
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #3

Perhaps I'm not understanding what you are trying to accomplish, but IMO, we need to know WHY are you trying to disconnect the battery in the Chevy toad? "Installing" a BO tow bar involves nothing more than inserting the tow bar's "stub" into the 2" square receiver on the coach hitch. Even if he is also installing a BO base plate on the Chevy's frame ( to which YOU will connect the tow bar ), neither of those two installations involves your Chevy battery.

In short, I think we need more info to help with you question.
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #4

Why not just run a power wire from the motorhome to the toad battery, that will keep the toad battery charged from the motorhome alternator while traveling. Then you don't need to pull any fuses. The only reason your pulling fuses is to keep the battery from going dead because the ignition key is in the acc. position in order to put the transmission in neutral and or unlock the steering wheel. When the key is in the acc. position the power relays for the windows will draw down the battery.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:24 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, a battery charge line is the way to go. Be sure to install a 20 amp fuse/breaker near your coach batts and another at the Blazer's battery. A #12 wire from battery to battery will work.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:46 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
We tow a 2002 Trailblazer 4wd with Blue Ox rigging. If yours is 4wd like ours I suggest you find another installer to do the electrical. We do not have to pull any fuses and because the steering wheel does not have a lock we simply remove the key once the tranny is fully disengaged (procedure is in the manual by going to neutral and holding the 4wd selector switch fully clockwise to the hidden position with the emergency brake on - SAFETY READ THE MANUAL)

On the electrical side make sure you get the 7 wire coach to 6 wire car umbilical cord (not 4) and 6 wire plug for the car side. As others have stated then you can keep your car battery charged from the running coach with a 20 amp fused line. This will be required if you are using any supplemental (yes its required) brake controller in the car that ties into the cars electrical and you want to go for more that 6-12 hrs without running the car. With the charge lead you can go as long as you want without starting the car.

The next decision is for your brake/running lights; Portable magnetic stick on lights, adding extra bulbs in the current housing by drilling holes, or using diodes for feeding the current bulbs. Your choice but I recommend using the diode on the current bulbs.

I have installed this entire system mech/el and use the Blue Ox Patroit elecrto/mech brake. Works fine. I did have to run a 12 ga fused hot wire from the coach battery to the coach 7 wire hitch plug (none was provided).
With the key off the car WILL NOT accrue miles when being towed.

When stopping at Wallmart etc. we do REMOVE and STORE the safety cables, coiled wire harness, and brake release cable so they don't walk away at night. We purchased the 3 lock pins (Blue Ox) for the tow bar so no worries there.

Good luck and PM me if you have any questions.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #7

Whats wrong with a simple post top battery disconnect ? $ 10.00 at Auto Supply.
Simple installation & use.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by britcon View Post
Whats wrong with a simple post top battery disconnect ? $ 10.00 at Auto Supply.
Simple installation & use.
That will work if you don't have a supplemental braking system, and don't mind getting under the hood every time you hook and unhook. But you normally need the battery with a braking system.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #9

I also tow a Trailblazer. I will assume yours is 4WD, as 2WD is not towable four wheels down. Depending on what supplemental brake you use, you may or may not need a charge line. I have the RVI brake and it does not require a charge line. Your manual may say to pull fuses, mine does, but it is not necessary. Once the transfer case is in neutral you can put the gear shift in park and remove the key, thus no power drain from the vehicle.
It's a great toad, a little heavy but lots of room and a full frame for safety.
Happy towing!
Old 05-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Install an Invisibrake by Roadmaster. It has a connection to keep the towed vehicles battery charged. Once installed you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:16 PM   #11

I agree with Winepress. I have a GMC Canyon and do the same thing. It's an automatic 4 wheel drive. I put the transfer case in neutral and the the transmission in park and away we go. Never even thought about the battery losing a charge. Hope that works for you.
roadtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Yes it is a 4x4 it won't hurt the tranny, by towing it in part? Even with the transfer case in neutral?
Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:33 PM   #13

It does not hurt mine. When you put the transfer case in neutral and the tranny in park watch it and if your wheels roll and turn then you should have no problem. Also it does not add mileage to your vehicle when you tow it in park.
roadtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #14

Your transfer case MUST be in neutral. If not, you will have some serious issues costing $$$. Look in the manual as it has detailed instructions on putting the transfer case in neutral and how to verify.
When the transfer case is in neutral, the driveline is disconnected from the transmission.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.

Tags
battery