Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #1

Tow vehicle for X-Aire??

Was wondering for all you guys out there with a x aire; what are you pulling it with? I'm a ways off from trading in the fw but do need to upgrade vehicles sometime this coming yr and want to get something that would be capable of pulling something this size. Currently have a 2 dr F550 flatbed that I use in my business and also for pulling the camper. Pulls good but is very rough riding and with a low rear gearing it is a screamer going down the road. I need 4 drs on the next vehicle and am considering going with a new F450 or F550 once the new ones come out and I see how their holding up in the real world. Think that would be too little for a x aire? Biggest fear I have with moving up to a Freightliner or International is getting stuck with only 2wd. Any ideas. Thanks Aaron
Aarondeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #2

Wow! Are you saying that none of the 1 ton duallys can pull an X-Aire?

The 2010 Dodge heavy duty (2500 & 3500) just won truck of the year from Motor Trend. Unlike Ford and GM, the Dodge does not need urea to meet the new 2010 diesel emission requirements.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:05 AM   #3

Yeah, actually when you start adding up the weight it would be over the limits of the 1 ton. I'm figuring the base unit weighs around 15k and when loaded up would be around 18k for me. I figure the truck weighs around 9.5k so now I'm up to 27.5k. What kills me about Dodge is that their 45/5500 only has a 26k GCWR so I'm already over. BTY on the cab/chassis Dodge they are using urea. Ford is rated to 33k GCWR so I'm good there. I'm just kinda trying to get an idea to see if it would be the tail wagging the dog if I went this route or are owners of this combo satisfied. Also, I'll only be traveling around 5k a yr. The rest of the time will be spent either on the farm working or personal driving. I want to stay legal weight wise. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:10 AM   #4

Yikes! That has to put a severe limit on the number of potential buyers of an X-Aire.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:17 AM   #5

Yeah if you want to stay legal. I know a few guys pulling some TH's around with 2500's and they say they pull great. My concern is not the going but the stopping. Even with good brakes on the trailer, that is still alot of weight. I have a semi and weight is always watched. I don't like running over limits. I know a dulley would handle the weight and would probably work fine but I hate to be in an accident and have that going against me. Thanks
Old 12-30-2009, 06:32 AM   #6

You are certainly going about this the correct way in my opinion. Getting the correct truck for what you're hauling. I can understand your concerns for getting stuck if you were to go with a Freightliner or similar. First, in case you didn't know it, they DO make a Freightliner hauler with 4 wheel drive. Probably not the best idea, but it is there. We have a Kountry Aire now and prior to that a Mountain Aire and have had a Freightliner for 9 years now. Most of our camping is rough camping in fields. Out of 9 years, knock on wood, I've only gotten stuck once and that one time if I had attacked the situation differently I wouldn't have.

I truely believe that it's more about your driving skill or the lack there of. Anyway, I think a medium duty truck is the only way to go when your pulling these larger fifth wheels.

Good luck with your investigating.
Shaun

2000 Freightliner Sportchassis - 300 CAT, 6 speed Alison
Shaun and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarondeere View Post
Was wondering for all you guys out there with a x aire; what are you pulling it with? I'm a ways off from trading in the fw but do need to upgrade vehicles sometime this coming yr and want to get something that would be capable of pulling something this size. Currently have a 2 dr F550 flatbed that I use in my business and also for pulling the camper. Pulls good but is very rough riding and with a low rear gearing it is a screamer going down the road. I need 4 drs on the next vehicle and am considering going with a new F450 or F550 once the new ones come out and I see how their holding up in the real world. Think that would be too little for a x aire? Biggest fear I have with moving up to a Freightliner or International is getting stuck with only 2wd. Any ideas. Thanks Aaron
Aaron -

I have a 2008 4x4 King Ranch F450 with 4.10 gears for our 40' Kountry Aire, which has a gross weight of approx. 20,0000#. I've never weighed it, I don't think I'm ordinarily near 20,000#, but probably somewhere just over the 18,000# you're contemplating.

My F450 pulls, and stops, my Kountry Aire with no problems. My Kountry Aire also has electric over hydraulic disc brakes, which gives me a bit more confidence with the stopping

As far as comfort, handling, etc. everyone I've talked to, myself included, thinks this is one heck of a truck. There have been a few mechanical problems with them, however, which Ford has tried to correct, and (as you know) Ford will be coming out with yet another new engine for them shortly. Plus, the fuel economy with these engines sucks - but if you can afford the truck, you probably won't go bankrupt paying for the fuel to run it. (I recently got about 7.4mpg towing my Kountry Aire on a 3000+ mile trip, driving about 60-62mph.

John
MT flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:57 AM   #8

Thanks guys for the info. That gives me some food for thought. Sounds like the 2/4wd issue with the FL and Int. isn't such a big deal. Shaun if your camping in fields; that is about as extreme as I would be doing. Some of the campgrounds we go to have sites by creeks that are only grass areas with no gravel or such similar to a field. John, I never thought of the electric over hydraulic brake option. I see that is listed on the x aire. From what I hear that is a big improvement over electric brakes. Question for you. How does that hook up to the truck? Is there extra hoses or special equipment for the truck. I know those 450's are really nice. Mine is a 05 550 xlt. The cabs look much nicer on the new ones so that would be a big improvement over mine. Also if they come out with that 6 speed along with a little higher rear end (mines 4.88) that would help getting down the road without it revving so high. My only problem will be price. I figure to get a lariat 450 cab/chassis and put a flatbed on it and also really want to put a air ride system on it to smooth out the rides, I'm going to be getting into that 60k+ range at which point I could be looking at a used M2 or 4400 conversion. Decisions decisions Thanks again for the insights.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarondeere View Post
John, I never thought of the electric over hydraulic brake option. I see that is listed on the x aire. From what I hear that is a big improvement over electric brakes. Question for you. How does that hook up to the truck? Is there extra hoses or special equipment for the truck. I know those 450's are really nice. Mine is a 05 550 xlt. The cabs look much nicer on the new ones so that would be a big improvement over mine. Also if they come out with that 6 speed along with a little higher rear end (mines 4.88) that would help getting down the road without it revving so high. My only problem will be price. I figure to get a lariat 450 cab/chassis and put a flatbed on it and also really want to put a air ride system on it to smooth out the rides, I'm going to be getting into that 60k+ range at which point I could be looking at a used M2 or 4400 conversion. Decisions decisions Thanks again for the insights.
Aaron -

My truck has the integrated brake controller which is really nice, except that it wasn't compatible with my trailer's disc brakes. So I had to install a 2nd brake controller (I got a Tekonsha P3) in the truck. I have both brake controllers hooked up, and when I tow my other trailers (an open car hauler Featherlite, and a boat trailer) which both have electric brakes, I use the truck's integrated brake controller.

Ford is well aware of the incompatibility, and the integrated brake controller does work for some brands of disc brakes, just not the one that Newmar installed. Perhaps Ford's newer trucks will/have overcome this problem.

Ford had offered a 4.88 in the Job #1 2008 truck (the earliest trucks produced in the 2008 model year) but because of the many complaints they received about poor gas milage - there may also have been other issues I'm not aware of (and the fact that 4.88's really aren't necessary with the power and torque this truck has, IMO) - they discontinued offering it in the middle of the model year.

My trailer has a MOR/ryde pin box, and the MOR/ryde suspension system (I'm not sure offhand which one), and I haven't felt the need for any other air system for the truck. I've you haven't been in one, you really should -- they are one nice, comfortable riding truck. About the only time I notice that I'm actually driving a truck, and not a luxury car, is when I back out of my driveway, with an empty truck and my rear wheels go over the small dip at the end of the driveway where it meets the road, and I feel the rock solid suspension on the rear end, which brings me back to the reality of remembering what I'm really driving.

My truck also has an integrated back up camera, and power telescoping trailer towing mirrors, which are both nice options to have on this truck, even when not towing. The back up camera is built into the tailgate handle though so it doesn't help me hitching up the fifth wheel with the tailgate down.

John
Old 12-31-2009, 09:38 AM   #10

The hydraulic brakes do make a noticable difference even with a medium duty truck. I would recommend choosing that option.

2000 Freightliner Sportchassis - 300 CAT, 6 speed Alison
Shaun and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:40 PM   #11

Thanks guys. I'll have to wait and see how these new Ford's turn out. If I do go that route, it'll be the c/c with a flatbed setup since all my trailers are set for the flatbed and I'm not too happy their downsizing the tires and brakes on the 450. To me that is a step backwards. Thanks again Aaron
Old 01-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #12

From the comments I have not seen one that made a lot of sense. I have an 05 F350 dually. Pulls my X-Aire with my Harley Davidson just fine. I drive about 70 but could go faster. I don't don't slow down abnormally on hills. Monteagle, Tenn was no problem. Tongue weight doesn't set my truck down much. No need for a F-450 or more. Pulling I get a little more than 9 mph. I will say my medium duty truck had a much better turning ratio, but I hated to run around town with it. Don't understand the hitching problem. I have never had a hitching problem with any of my 5th wheels. Its easy to unhitch, go to dinner, and hitch up afterwards.
bertany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertany View Post
From the comments I have not seen one that made a lot of sense. I have an 05 F350 dually. Pulls my X-Aire with my Harley Davidson just fine. I drive about 70 but could go faster. I don't don't slow down abnormally on hills.
It might make more sense if you drove faster than 70. Especially on hills,
abnormally.