Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2016, 06:07 PM   #1

Towed trailer wiring

I talked to Newmar today and got the wrong information. There is a blue wire in the trailer connector for electric brakes where do I find it upfront?
vfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2016, 07:22 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
If your lucky it will be close to the steering column under dash.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:03 AM   #3
Rd1

Every MH may be setup differently. However, if you have a trailer connector in the back, these labeled wires should be under the steering column.

can't say for sure if the wire colors are always the same, but the labels should be. Also depending on your controller, the colors may vary

The MH side = the controller side
Big red/white - TRLR-BRK = Controller - Blue wire
small red/white - BRK-SW BL-UNT = controller - Red
Big Red - BAT-BLUNT = controller - black
Black - GRND- BLUNT = Controller - White

and if you need additional accessory 12v to be switched by ign, there should be a pink wire with label IGN-BLUNT

I've had these wires on two different Newmar year and models with some variations.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:23 AM   #4

I just purchased a new 2016 Dutch Star 4369. I called Newmar and they said to find the OBD plug located above where your left foot would be when driving. Newmar said to look for a black and a blue wire.
I searched for hours with no success. I then called Freightliner and they said it's in the same spot but it's a 6 pin plug with a large red wire, 2 red/white wires a black wire and a pink wire.
I continued my search and spent well over 2 hours trying to find the plug NO SUCCESS so I finally got tired of looking and rigged up a wire loom myself.

I found the brake light switch located in the front of the coach where the air manifold is located (behind the brake pedal in the front of the coach above the generator) I was able to push the wires through the firewall where the expanded foam is sealing other wire looms.

Next, I'm going to run a 12 gauge wire with a 30 amp fuse from the electronics storage bin on the drivers side of the coach to the dash for the power source.
By the way, I'm using a 12 gauge wire to the trailer plug on the rear bumper. I'll just splice that wire to the existing trailer plug loom.

It was tough but better than contorting my body trying to look under the dash. Hopefully I'll finish up that project today.

I have to crawl under the coach anyway because I run a camera on the back of my enclosed trailer and that wire has to be run under the coach to the rear bumper. I have both wires (trailer camera wire and the 12 gauge wire loomed together so it's only one trip from front to back under the coach.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:17 AM   #5

Frank-

Your coach's Ford F-53 chassis comes pre-wired for a trailer electric brake controller.

Here's a link to a post from a thread where the poster was looking to run a charge line in his 2016 Canyon Star. If you look at the first picture in that post you'll see the trailer electric brake controller pigtail label and wires. Look for that under your dash.

You may want to rig up a 12V charge line at the same time. In addition to the post above, here's a link to another post on that.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Frank-

Your coach's Ford F-53 chassis comes pre-wired for a trailer electric brake controller.

Here's a link to a post from a thread where the poster was looking to run a charge line in his 2016 Canyon Star. If you look at the first picture in that post you'll see the trailer electric brake controller pigtail label and wires. Look for that under your dash.

You may want to rig up a 12V charge line at the same time. In addition to the post above, here's a link to another post on that.
I do not have a f53 chassis.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
I just purchased a new 2016 Dutch Star 4369. I called Newmar and they said to find the OBD plug located above where your left foot would be when driving. Newmar said to look for a black and a blue wire.
I searched for hours with no success. I then called Freightliner and they said it's in the same spot but it's a 6 pin plug with a large red wire, 2 red/white wires a black wire and a pink wire.
I continued my search and spent well over 2 hours trying to find the plug NO SUCCESS so I finally got tired of looking and rigged up a wire loom myself.

I found the brake light switch located in the front of the coach where the air manifold is located (behind the brake pedal in the front of the coach above the generator) I was able to push the wires through the firewall where the expanded foam is sealing other wire looms.

Next, I'm going to run a 12 gauge wire with a 30 amp fuse from the electronics storage bin on the drivers side of the coach to the dash for the power source.
By the way, I'm using a 12 gauge wire to the trailer plug on the rear bumper. I'll just splice that wire to the existing trailer plug loom.

It was tough but better than contorting my body trying to look under the dash. Hopefully I'll finish up that project today.

I have to crawl under the coach anyway because I run a camera on the back of my enclosed trailer and that wire has to be run under the coach to the rear bumper. I have both wires (trailer camera wire and the 12 gauge wire loomed together so it's only one trip from front to back under the coach.
I went threw the same thing but I did find the one Freightliner was talking about.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfauto View Post
I do not have a f53 chassis.
Sorry about that. Your iRV2 profile "About Me" says 2015 Newmar 3921. When I looked that up, it said that coach was built on a Ford F-53 chassis.

Now I see your iRV2 "Registry" coach is a 2017 Dutch Star.

Congrats on the new coach!
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, wiring