Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2016, 01:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
Well my Chevy Sonic survived when I accidentally left it running while towing all morning once

The tow bar is a Ready Brute Elite and from their web site: "The brake pedal is attached to the Ready Brake with an aircraft cable and since the weight and momentum of the towed vehicle is pulling the pedal down it doesn't matter if the brake booster is powered on or not."

Funny, I have a ready brute with mechanical aircraft cable that pulls on brake pedal (Honda CRV 2012) behind my 2009 Dutchstar. I drove all day accidentally with CRV on. I had forgotten to turn it off; only noticed it when filling up diesel at a truck stop. I had no problems other than I had idled 3/4 of a tank of gas out of the CRV. AC was on full blast... was as cold as an icebox in there after 8 hrs. Embarrassing, but no problems.

Eugene
origal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 05:22 AM   #16

Let us know how it works. I have been tempted many times to have the wife ride in it while on a long trip.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:34 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Since you have air brakes on the Ventana...the SMI Air Force One braking system would work...it does power the brake booster...so I don't think, brake wise, it would matter if the car was running or not. The system tees into the vacuum line and the engine source and supplemental brake source are isolated from on another by two separate check valves.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Let us know how it works. I have been tempted many times to have the wife ride in it while on a long trip.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlintx View Post
I am towing a 2014 CRV behind my 2010 Newmar Ventana. I will have items in the CRV that need to stay cool. Do you guys see any problem with leaving the Transmission in neutral with the engine running?
Thoughts????
How many bodies are we talking about?
Old 07-31-2016, 06:50 AM   #20

Tow Truck operators do it all the time. I see no problems with it. As for braking give it a try in an open parking lot.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Joe PLAZEK
Ontario Canada
Old 07-31-2016, 07:36 AM   #21

pulling

I've been having problems with my aux transmission pump for two summers (now have it fixed). Pulled our Lexus for days upon days with just the engine running, No problems at all. My two cents

safe travels
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:46 AM   #22

Maybe tow it running and in Drive. The speed sensors will be very happy that way and, as the fuel delivery will shut off often, it will run cooler and consume less fuel.

Peter
Old 07-31-2016, 09:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch460 View Post
I think it would overheat. Tailwind from TV would inhibit air to the radiator.

INCORRECT

Toad will not overheat unless something wrong with the toads cooling system.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:04 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
That doesn't sound right. Have you ever tried to stop your car without the power brakes operating? It's tough. Takes very little pressure to stop when pb are working. The Ready Brute could perhaps be adjusted to not apply as much force but I found getting the Ready Brute configured to provide the correct amount of pressure without the pb energized to be enough of a problem.
As soon as the Ready Brake starts to put on the "power" brakes, the car will slow and pull the tow bar back out. It just takes less push on the RB to energize the brakes.

With the engine running, he will be putting miles on the odometer though.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:39 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
As soon as the Ready Brake starts to put on the "power" brakes, the car will slow and pull the tow bar back out. It just takes less push on the RB to energize the brakes.
Exactly, it's just like proportional (surge) brakes on a dolly or trailer.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
You don't have to leave it run to do that. You're just to nice a guy.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:16 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shouldn't be a problem but the miles will show on the odometer. Fuel usage at idle is pretty minimal. Probably a bit less than what a medium generator consumes. As far as brakes are concerned the CRV's antilock system will be active and any good auxiliary braking system should be proportional and back off the brakes in relation to momentum.

I wonder if you added a small invertor to the CRV and had a wireless video baby monitor looking at the dash your calm any concerns about engine heat or other such potential problems. When the A/C is active the second electrical fan will always energize which will help keep the engine cool. The vacuum behind the coach is present but it's not strong enough that the cooling fan(s) can't over come.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:31 PM   #28
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I've been following this just out of idle curiosity. Would you mind sharing exactly what you're carrying in the toad that needs cooling?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, toad, tow, towing