Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2014, 06:42 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Towing Brake Problem

Hello, I am looking for some help with trailer brakes. I have a 2001 Mountain Aire, when I plug in my trailer with electric brakes and am rolling down the road as soon as I touch my brake pedal the wheels on the trailer lock up. I have no brake controller on my rig and don’t understand where the electric trailer brakes are getting the signal to brake the wheels. I cut the blue brake wire in the trailer wiring box to stop this from happening. Is the only way to resolve this problem and have trailer brakes to install a brake controller ?
HDBiker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
From your description, it sounds like you're applying a "non-proportional" brake signal to your electric brakes hence they are being "fully" applied! Brake controllers apply "a proportional" signal when braking...
Old 06-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #3

Sounds like a previous owner , hooked the blue wire up to something other than a brake controller.
Have you tried to find the under dash end of the wiring?
Old 06-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
You describe brakes that are being applied by the power from the brake lights. Check wiring from trailer connection to brake magnets. I believe you see the need to add a brake controller with electric brakes. If you suspect a previous owner monkeyed with the wire harness for trailer brakes, the simplest and fastest would be to install a brake controller and new controller wire to trailer plug.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDBiker Dave View Post
I have no brake controller on my rig
Is the only way to resolve this problem and have trailer brakes to install a brake controller ?
HDBiker Dave
Yes!
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You need a brake controller.

If you drive without brakes on the trailer what will happen is that the trailer will wrap around the side of your coach in a panic stop situation.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #7

I can't imagine pulling a 40' trailer without brakes! You need a brake controller...without brakes that trailer will push you into the ditch (or worse) when in a panic situation...or, as mentioned above, wrap itself around the tow vehicle, not to mention the rapid wearing of the brakes on the tow vehicle.

You sure we're not being trolled? Seems over the top to me.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
I can't imagine pulling a 40' trailer without brakes! You need a brake controller...without brakes that trailer will push you into the ditch (or worse) when in a panic situation...or, as mentioned above, wrap itself around the tow vehicle, not to mention the rapid wearing of the brakes on the tow vehicle.

You sure we're not being trolled? Seems over the top to me.

Tim
Where did the fact "pulling a 40' trailer without brakes" enter into the thread? The OP has a 2001 Mountain Aire that's 40' long, not his trailer.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds to me like the brakes were attached to the brake light circuit direct instead of via a controller.. OR. there is a controller with the gain set wide open that you do not recoginize as such.

My recommendation, assuming this is a trailer, with electro-magnatic brakes, is a Tekonsha Prodicy P-3 or better.. but then.. I'm from Tekonsha. (The Township, not the company).
Old 06-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #10

Think I would take it to someone that knows what they are doing
Old 06-16-2014, 03:43 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Towing Brake Problem

Thanks to everyone for the replies.
HDBiker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, towing